Anime

lightningxlock

On netflix, check out Attack on Titan and Fullmetal Alchemist, both very very good. If you want to try something a bit different, give Black Butler a watch, and if you dont mind over perverted style of anime, check out High School of The Dead (full of giant boobs with bouncing sound effects).

As well as the above, I'm a huge fan of Dragon Ball (the original and Z/GT) although I haven't seen the latest series yet. Also, Ultimate Muscle maybe one for this forum, as its pro wrestling themed.

On netflix, check out Attack on Titan and Fullmetal Alchemist, both very very good. If you want to try something a bit different, give Black Butler a watch, and if you dont mind over perverted style of anime, check out High School of The Dead (full of giant boobs with bouncing sound effects).

As well as the above, I'm a huge fan of Dragon Ball (the original and Z/GT) although I haven't seen the latest series yet. Also, Ultimate Muscle maybe one for this forum, as its pro wrestling themed.

I have watched the first 5 episodes of Dragon Ball Super and am enjoying it, much better than GT and it feels fun and nostalgic seeing these characters again, like being reunited with old friends. If you have seen the movie Battle of the Gods though this has been just that expanded so far, same plot but more details.

I echo the love for Ultimate Muscle, so much fun with lots of wrestling in jokes, although it get's a little repetitive it is still a hoot.

Attack on Titan definitely seems to be the 'in' anime at the moment with most casual and no fans calling it the best thing ever, I gave up on it after about 13 episodes but might pick it back up at some point, just didn't see what all the fuss was about.

I can recommend Black Butler, very cool setting in Victorian England with a real dark undertone and quite a creepy subtext.

I would also recommend Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai 7 (amazing remake of the classic seven samurai but set in the future with giant robot bandits) and Deadman Wonderland.

and yeah I do love the Shonen animes which I know are not for everyone and considered a little childish and adhd but man I love One Piece, Bleach, Naruto, Fairy Tail etc

Also a lot of anime carries on in Manga form, I can recommend www.mangpanda.com as a good place to search lots of manga to read

Edited by Herne's Son

Yeah I read a lot of Manga as well, so all of the above are on my book shelves hah.

Black Butler is one of those where at first you'll be thinking "what the hell is going on" but a few episodes in, and you'll be hooked. Personally I just think it has a certain vibe to it, and I latched on straight away. End of Season 2 has a "making of black butler" episode, that is worth watching it all just for that hah.

Attack on Titan is very good, although I've read ahead in terms of the books. But visually its stunning, and the story is fairly simple to follow as well.

Me and the other half just started "Space Dandy" last night, which is a crazy sci-fi tongue in cheek type thing, that's echo'ing a lot of stuff from much older 70s/80's cartoons, or at least thats the idea I get from it. Very funny so far.

Just watched Appleseed Alpha on Netflix, it was created by the guy who made Ghost in the Shell. There was an 80s anime and a film made in the 2000s. Alpha is a CGI film, whilst a bit on the short side at just over a 90 minute runtime tells a perfectly paced self contained story in the world.

The world is a post apocalyptic one where small pockets of humanity exist, which is also full of Cyborgs. Unlike Terminator these cyborgs are humans in cybernetic shells, the majority of which are the equivalent of a brain in a jar controlling a robot. The original Manga and anine goes into the whole do these cyborgs give up their humanity, singularity stuff that is covered in Ghost in the Shell. With it's fairly brief run time Alpha doesn't venture into this and instead concentrates on a story of the two main characters going on a mercenary mission for the cybernetic mob boss Two Horns, which goes awry.

If you haven't read or seen any of the previous it doesn't matter because the actual story is very simple with fairly two dimensional characters. This isn't a nitpick though, because without any expository monologues or a wall of text you can get into the story easily. This is in a film where a main character is practically a walking tank.

The CGI is very good and is on par with pre-rendered cut scenes in modern triple A 3D games. The majority of the characters are cyborgs, that are very well rendered and stick faithfully to the source material. The few human characters are also well rendered though the two female characters do have short hair because of the limitations on rendering long hair that moves and looks realistic. This is really the only place where the CGI is a letdown, the backgrounds and explosions/gunshots all look really good.

The voice acting is of a high standard apart from Two Horns who sounds like a generic deep voiced black pimp. The voice actor who voices Brarios(sp) is definitely channelling David Hayter as Solid Snake and I had to check on IMDB to see if it was David Hayter.

TL;DR, Appleseed Alpha is a fun CGI action film full of explosions and massive cyborgs.

I can highly recommend Appleseed Alpha, very very good with crazy CGI animation as well.

Re: Death Note from higher up in the thread, for those wanting to watch it, it is very good although if you read the manga it tends to come across a bit better. The anime itself is word for word what is in the book, and with the lengthy speeches the characters give at times, it can come across better in a written format than listening to people slowly drone on, if that makes sense. Death Note becomes a whole lot of "I know he knows I know, but does he know I know this" type stuff, which by the finale does get very tense, with the final 2 episodes being a huge cut above the rest. 100% worth checking out, but at times you need to gut it out and power through to the good stuff. 

• Awards Moderator

This thread is taking me waaaay back. Me and my mates were crazy into the Manga VHS importing in the mid-90s. Apart from the obvious Akira, the ones I loved at the time were: Fist of the North Star, Ninja Scroll, Wicked City and Ultimate Teacher.

If anyone in this thread is going to check out High School of The Dead it should be pointed out that it is incomplete and the Manga it was adapted from has been on hiatus since 2011.

Personally I found it a very hit and miss series.

I have been watching Tokyo Ghoul on Funimation and really enjoying it so far. Only real issue is that the human characters are complete and utter shit who I feel no sympathy for no matter how hard the series tries.

Apparently it has deviated from the Manga which I also recently got into.

High School of The Dead was good in terms of the story behind it, but it was at perv level 5000, which was a bit to much for me. I don't mind the odd boob jokes or whatever, but like 3 episodes in and we had every other shot being gigantic boobs or some lass's crotch. It was a bit much for me.

Edited by Mr.E

I recently gave up on Rosario + Vampire at the start of season 2 for the same reason. At least HSoTD was short enough to just about tolerate the pervy crap and had some great Zombie horror and violence to fall back on.

Sometimes they take the worst of a Magna and amplify it in the Anime adaption.