Documentary Thread #2

Egg Shen

• Awards Moderator

I was reading this fabulous humble-pie eating post on Den Of Geek and learned that Morgan Spurlock directs the new One Direction film.

(Yes, it is a documentary.)

Reading on, it turns out he was offered the Katy Perry film and the Bieber one but turned them down because he was too busy. Why is a studio so desperate for Spurlock to do a concert film? Whether you like his films or not, he's a talented documentary director with things to say and explore, but why chase him to do these fluff pieces? Why not save money with some no-name hack, given all you have to do is point the camera at the smiley shiny boys?

Edited by Black2

I was reading this fabulous humble-pie eating post on Den Of Geek and learned that Morgan Spurlock directs the new One Direction film.

(Yes, it is a documentary.)

Reading on, it turns out he was offered the Katy Perry film and the Bieber one but turned them down because he was too busy. Why is a studio so desperate for Spurlock to do a concert film? Whether you like his films or not, he's a talented documentary director with things to say and explore, but why chase him to do these fluff pieces? Why not save money with some no-name hack, given all you have to do is point the camera at the smiley shiny boys?

Think he is executive producer too.

All I can think is having an academy award winning director (for Super Size Me) adds a slight air of credibility to it. Factor in that he other films have won other awards too on the film festival circuit

Edited by KingOfMetal

• 2 weeks later...
You see that article online today about a 107 year old man who went down in a blaze of glory in a shootout with the cops? Amazing. What a guy!

Don't have a link right now, but I'm sure you could find it easy enough..

Yeah, they were talking a bit about that on the BBC World Service radio last night. Here's an article -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-24011751

• Paid Members

We Are Legion: The Story Of The Hacktivists - Watched this on Netflix (UK) last night. It's the story of 'Anonymous' whom until this I'd obviously heard about on the news but knew little of their history or how they worked. Fascinating stuff & quite amazing in the sense of the group being a collective ideology (for the most part) as opposed to a structured organisation which is how I thought they operated. Some of the more hardcore internet aficionados might know a lot of it already but for someone like me, to whom the internet is about a dozen sites I found it enthralling. Would definitely recommend.

• 5 weeks later...

Can anyone recommend any documentary/series on WW2? I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to history, I never cared much for it at school, and only now have started reading bits. I want to watch something that tells the complete story, which I am aware is huge.

• Paid Members

The World at War is pretty much the classic docu series on WWII http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_World_at_War it's narratted by Sir Laurence and interviews a huge amount of people who took part in the war from Albert Speer to Jimmy Stewart (who's recollections are pretty harrowing) i'd say it's probably what your looking for and should be a fairly easy find.