Documentary Thread #2

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

I just watched Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father. That was tough, didn't know anything about it before watching and it completely caught me off gaurd. There is some staggering stuff in there, stuff you just can't believe happened. Definatly recommend. :sneaky:

Dear Zachary left me in bits. One to avoid when you've got the emotional hangover, that's for sure.
Quite the same here. I didn't read up on it or anything so had no idea what was to come in the documentary. I have never been left feeling so sad but at the same time so angry by a documentary.Louis Theroux's top documentaries? Is there a list or an article of his anywhere online?

Louis Theroux's top documentaries? Is there a list or an article of his anywhere online?

From his Facebook with his thoughts, TV Junkie is a good watch I can confirm.

I’m often asked to name my favourite documentaries. I’m much too indecisive and changeable to be able to nail down a definitive list. But here are twelve I like a lot. (I was going to do ten, but then I thought of two more…)Question of Consent"Superb disturbing doc made by the team that did Cocaine Cowboys, it recounts the alleged rape of a stripper at a fraternity party in Florida, much of which was filmed by the party-goers themselves. I watched it on a plane and had to keep minimizing the screen due to the adult content. I suppose I could have stopped watching but I was too engrossed."A Letter to Zachary"A posthumous love letter from the filmmaker to his murdered friend, it has one of the most explosive and upsetting twists two thirds of the way through. I recently saw this was on the IMDB as one of the most popular documentaries of all time, it’s number two right after Night and Fog. So it’s not exactly obscure but it is totally riveting."Thin Blue Line"I love this film. I can still hear the distinctive musical cadences of the principal character, Randall Dale Adams, and his palpable sense of bafflement at the course his life had taken: convicted of killing a cop in cold blood. If you haven’t seen it you’re in for a treat. And this one has a happy ending."American Movie"Chris Smith followed a filmmaker called Mark Borchardt and his monosyllabic sidekick Mike Shank over the course of several years to create this beautiful portrait of a man attempting to make a low-budget masterpiece. Full of accidental comedy and poignant moments."The Monastery: Mr. Vig and the Nun"This one’s also about a man with a dream: an eccentric Danish bachelor who wants to convert his house into a home for Russian nuns. I saw it at Sheffield Docs Festival and never heard much about it afterwards. There’s something very special about a film that’s driven simply by actuality as it unfolds, as this one is."TV Junkie"My friend Freddie Claire turned me onto it. The central character is a news reporter who obsessively documents his own life, to the point of filming his own spiralling drug addiction, the loss of his career and the breakdown of his marriage. The footage he films of his argument with his wife in front of the kids is unbelievably harrowing."The Queen of Versailles"This is on at the cinema at the moment! Go see it! A wonderful portrait of a family as their dream of building America’s biggest private house crumbles in the wake of the credit crunch. It’s a riches-to-less-riches tale, very humane, very funny."Don’t Look Back"Dylan’s 1965 gets the cinema verite treatment at the hands of documentary pioneer D.A. Pennebaker. Dylan comes across as both tremendously beguiling and also callow and slightly cruel. It’s black and white and looks beautiful. So many great scenes. I like the fans disagreeing about whether Dylan going electric made him just another pop band."Hoop Dreams"I remember coming out of a screening of this in New York maybe fifteen years ago and just thinking Wow. The level of intimacy and the filmmaker’s commitment to the lives of their subjects: it’s like a novel."Catfish"Some people said they found this fake but I bought it. There’s maybe one scene that’s a bit too good to be true, but overall I loved the strangeness of the quest and the amazing reveal when they find what they find. It’s hard to say too much without giving it away but basically it’s about an Internet romance gone awry."Exit Through The Gift Shop"I used to find Banksy a bit annoying but I had a new respect for him after seeing this. It has that wonderful thing of a contributor slightly taking over the film and going in a strange and unexpected direction."Deep Water"I just like this story a lot. I read the book when I was a kid, The Strange Voyage of Donald Crowhurst, about the solo round-the-world yachtsman who lost his mind at sea. But I didn’t realize there was so much archive. Very sad, too

Edited by jimufctna24

I've been watching a lot of Skateboarding documentaries recently. Dogtown and Z-boys about the start of skating in pools and the beginning of vert style skating. Bone Brigade about the start of the Powell Peralta skate team with Tony Hawk and Rodney Mullen. Then Rising Son: the Christian Hosoi story. 3 great films about the beginning of as a professional sport as well as the progression from vert to street styles.

Then there's Skatopia: 88 Acres of Anarchy, which is about the Skatopia skate park which is an anarchic skating utopia, which I only really knew from playing Tony Hawk's Underground 2. This one is more of a slice of life documentary rather than the other 3 which were more historical. I did enjoy it though and it does look like a crazy place and overall it is a fun skating doc.

Cool I'll have to check it out, I wish someone would do a proper documentary about Rodney Mullen Just because of how an innovative and strange character he is. The stories about him skating for 11 hours a day in a garage as a kid and how he just goes out on his own and skates in the middle of the night.

Rey, have you seen the film Lords Of Dogtown, a dramatic retelling of the Zephyr story? I thought it was great. I've seen the documentary as well, it's really interesting even for someone like me who's not a skate fanatic.

Edited by Loki

• Paid Members

Saw last night that the new documentary 'Reincarnated' is now on Netflix US. It follows Snoop Dogg on his 'pilgrimage' to Jamaica where he changed his name to Snoop Lion after immersing himself in Rasta culture & makes a reggae album. Sounds wonderfully dreadful, will be watching it tonight.

Not watched Dogtown & Z-Boys for years, love that film. Always wanted one of the navy blue t-shirts that one of them was wearing in the interview footage, can't remember who it was now though?

Was it this one?CLASSIC.JPGYou can get replicas here. http://jeffhozephyr.com/1394/1457.html
its not exactly the one I was after, but still a good find.Its the one that Allen Sarlo is wearing in his interview footage, seems to have a bigger print on the front of it