Documentary Thread #2

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

I fancy something in the vain of Pulling John and King of Kong. Any recommendations on the UK Netflix?

Really enjoyed Indie Game and Pulling John the other day. Took me a little while to get into Indie Game but I stuck with it and it hooked me. I think it had a bit to do with everyone coming off a bit of a nob initially but they grew on me. Pulling John was just awesome. I never thought I'd give a shit about arm wrestling but now I'd definitely watch that shit if it had a TV show.

Kurt and Courtney sucks. I swear when I was a kid it had more damning material in it than the version I watched on Netflix. Definately should have left that one as a fond stupid teenage memory.

EDIT - I've just got finished watching The Dungeon Masters. It was interesting but a bit depressing to be honest.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

The three people they choose as subjects all seem rather sad. Not because of D&D, its barely about D&D. Its about three people trying and failing to hide away from there unfore-filling lives and ultimately not enjoying there escapism of choice either. Would have liked it more if it concentrated on people that really seemed to enjoy it, even to an arguably unhealthy extent like King of Kong/Pulling John or at least balanced it out more so it wasn't all doom and gloom.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();
Edited by DEF

• Paid Members

We are Wizards

As you can tell I'm off work so plan to polish off a few of these Docs on Netflix. This was fun and provided interesting glimpses into various sub cultures of Harry Potter fandom. Most of them were news to me anyway.

Who knew there was a whole sub genre of Harry Potter Rock Music and comedy commentary tracks? The stuff about Warner Bros cease and desist orders deserves a doc in its own right.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

A bit of an issue I had with it is it could have easily been 20 minutes shorter and could definitely be much more tight. There was a ton of filler and at 77 minutes long that's no good. If they had just made an hour long doc it would have been far better. Give it a go though, just be prepared that if you feel bored then cut and run. At a certain point they start to go over the same stuff. Although the bit towards the end with the daft Christian lady is amusing.

• Paid Members
That review of The Dungeon Master has made me less inclined to watch it now, DEF. I was just hoping for an insight into passionate people enjoying a subculture I only know a little about, a la Trekkies or King of Kong (although even King of Kong had its depressing moments).

Yeah that's what I was looking for to but it really isn't that sadly. Not really my cup of tea. I'm going to give The American Scream a go now.

• Paid Members

what about movie dvd extra documentaries worth watching? it's safe to say 90% of extra's are promotional tat but amongst Special Edition DVD's you get some quality original documentaries, any recommendations there?

• Paid Members

I didn't enjoy Dungeon Masters, I ended up turning it off after an hour. One I did enjoy that I don't think I've mentioned on here was 'Clean Flicks'. It follows a video shop owner in Salt Lake City & the business of people editing Hollywood blockbusters to remove all the adult content so they're palatable to religious folk who don't want to burn in hell by watching two actors pretending to fuck. It's a really good film & well balanced too, offering a perspective from the consumer, the companies offering the service & the directors taking action against these companies for butchering their vision (Steven Soderbergh is one of the directors involved IIRC). Like most good docs this really takes an unexpected turn & the film-makers struck gold with the subjects they worked with.

I was completely unaware that this service even existed let alone how popular it was. The thing that really surprised me was that in a lot of cases the customers were fine with the violence in R rated films but objected to any sexual content? The idea of people pretending to hurt one another being cool but people being nice to each other was unsuitable seemed to make little sense. So yeah, this is definitely on Netflix US & possibly on the UK one too, check it out.

• Paid Members
what about movie dvd extra documentaries worth watching? it's safe to say 90% of extra's are promotional tat but amongst Special Edition DVD's you get some quality original documentaries, any recommendations there?

There is a FANTASTIC doc on editing on the second disc of Bullitt. Also pretty much every Troma movie Directed by Lloyd has an excellent documentary on the making of the production. Doesn't matter if you like the films or not they are a brilliant insight into low budget film making. The Lord of the Rings extended cut docs are epic. The Shark is Still Working on the recent Jaws release is great to. Your right there IS a lot of crappy filler in bonus material but also there's fantastic stuff to. That's why always watch it all.

• Paid Members

Full Tilt Boogie is included on some of the 2 disc From Dusk Till Dawn DVDs (not the Blu Ray as far as I know) and is one of the best making of docs I've ever seen.

Some of the docs on the DVD/Blu Ray releases of the Alien Films are well worth a watch, especially the retrospective looks at Alien3. Seeing Fincher get told a scene is no longer in the script the second hes about to start filming shows you just why he hates that film so much.

Terror takes shape from The Thing is a great look at Rob Bottin and his work on that film

For anyone that like Jim Henson stuff (And if you don't you obviously have no soul) There's a great hour long documentary on most versions of Labyrinth with talking heads from everyone involved and lots of behind the scenes footage. Youtube link here

There's also an amazing documentary called Of Muppets and Men which was made towards the end of The Muppet Show which goes through the entire process of creating the show part one is

Edited by chokeout

• Paid Members

Oh thought of another one that everyone should check out if your a fan of Tom Savini (everyone should be)

Originally this was a video that came out with Fangoria back in the day. Recently it was included as one of the many extras on Arrow videos Dawn of the Dead Blu-ray.

• Paid Members
I fancy something in the vain of Pulling John and King of Kong. Any recommendations on the UK Netflix?

Really enjoyed Indie Game and Pulling John the other day. Took me a little while to get into Indie Game but I stuck with it and it hooked me. I think it had a bit to do with everyone coming off a bit of a nob initially but they grew on me. Pulling John was just awesome. I never thought I'd give a shit about arm wrestling but now I'd definitely watch that shit if it had a TV show.

Kurt and Courtney sucks. I swear when I was a kid it had more damning material in it than the version I watched on Netflix. Definately should have left that one as a fond stupid teenage memory.

EDIT - I've just got finished watching The Dungeon Masters. It was interesting but a bit depressing to be honest.

The three people they choose as subjects all seem rather sad. Not because of D&D, its barely about D&D. Its about three people trying and failing to hide away from there unfore-filling lives and ultimately not enjoying there escapism of choice either. Would have liked it more if it concentrated on people that really seemed to enjoy it, even to an arguably unhealthy extent like King of Kong/Pulling John or at least balanced it out more so it wasn't all doom and gloom.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

I think the main reason I enjoyed it was the little fat nudist chap. Complete megalomaniac and reminded me of a DM we had in a gaming group about 15 years ago who nearly ended up having the shit kicked out of him by a practising Buddhist.

Fredds vs Jason

Check out the extra with the press conference from the MGM Grand in Vegas. Fantastically well put together