Documentary Thread #2

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

yeh any ESPN sports documentary is worth a look, i haven't seen all the 30 for 30 ones but the ones i have seen were excellent.

They've just released a new Muhammad Ali one to coincide with his 71st Birthday (Ali: The Mission)

it's part of a new 30 for 30 series of short films.

• Paid Members

originally posted this in the TV thread but it's better suited for here:

after watching two seasons of Ice Road Truckers i got hold of Everest - Beyond The Limit (DVD shopping in The Works), trememndous show. I have no interest in mountaneering but this show has opened my eyes to it. It's all about a team of climbers trying to reach the top of Everest as part of an expedition. Like all these shows it's perfect for newbies because it teaches you all the basics and gives background on the subject your watching and adds the drama of the climbers taking on the challenge (climbing Everest can be brutal). If you like shit like this i highly recommend it.

51Qg9R6JbbL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I've gone and downloaded a tump of other climbing documentaries now, i remember seeing one a few years back called The Beckoning Silence which was narrated by the guy that was the subject of Touching The Void (classic). Gonna get on this shit next week.

• Paid Members

Watched Pulling John (on US Netflix) this weekend. You know how people bang on about Phil Taylor being the greatest living sportsman, but not getting the recognition he deserves as darts isn't a 'mainstream' sport? That's because they haven't heard of John Brzenk! The arm wrestling champion of the world for 25 straight years. This film follows the living legend as he decides whether to hang up his wrist-straps whilst giving us a look at a rising young American star (the Tito Ortiz of Arm Wrestling if you will), & a beast of a hotly tipped Russian monster, determined to take Brzenk's crown. This was a great little film, highly recommended & lets face it, if you're on here & like wrestling/mma there's a good chance a doc looking behind the glitz & glamour of professional arm wrestling is gonna be right up your street.

I saw that (not watched) whilst choosing a doc to watch last night, will give it a whirl, sounds great.

The one I watched was Dreams Of A Life. The story of a woman who died in her bedsit and wasn't discovered for three years. Really sad stuff, she wasn't a shut in or anything and it makes you wonder how it could have happened.

Pretty interesting documentary about a brutal drug in Russia called Krokodil that has some horrific physical effects on its victims. This is not safe for work, and be warned, there is some pretty extreme and disturbing footage of human injuries caused by drug use.

Krokodil: Russia's Deadliest Drug

Watch the Suicide Forest and the Colombian Sewer Rat ones.

Watched the suicide forest one before. Very interesting, but also quite sad when they discover the skeleton lying there.

Here's another one from them about

. I can't believe they have a mainstream, weekly magazine in Mexico just specializing in pictures of dead bodies! Full on blood splattered corpses on the front page and everything! Apparently they shift 15 million copies every week.

Edit - All the documentary links I've posted in here today should be considered NSFW.

For anyone interested in that grim magazine, here's the website, also NSFW (obv). http://alarma.mx/

Edited by Richie Freebird