Documentary Thread #2

Egg Shen

Did anyone see the doco the other night on Channel 4:

"The Girl Who Became 3 Boys"

Not the greatest of docos I have seen but a very interesting subject matter. The only thing that I cam away from it thinking was "How thick were the two girls in the doco". I won't spoil it if anyone is going to watch it but even though it is a true story the way it unfolds seems unreal.

Not the greatest of docos I have seen but a very interesting subject matter. The only thing that I cam away from it thinking was "How thick were the two girls in the doco". I won't spoil it if anyone is going to watch it but even though it is a true story the way it unfolds seems unreal.

I didn't watch it, but remember reading about the story in the news when it first broke. My opinion is that cases like this are a natural consequence of girlymen like Bieber and Harry Styles being promoted as acceptable sex symbols by the media. Weak, underfed shrimps like these jokers shouldn't be endorsed or looked up to, they should be roundly mocked and shoved into gym lockers American teen comedy-style until they prove they can grow chest hair or drink a full pint of bitter.

Was the fat girl (the one who showed her face) taking the piss??? What she was saying couldn't have been real. One of the strangest things I have ever watched.

• Paid Members

i'll grab that doc. now, i read about it in the paper yesterday and i remember it when it happened. I just don't see how the girls fell for it! that seemed to be the opinion on the guy that wrote the piece in the paper too. Unbelievable.

• Paid Members
Was the fat girl (the one who showed her face) taking the piss??? What she was saying couldn't have been real. One of the strangest things I have ever watched.

She was obviously thick as fuck. A 'boyfriend' who never spoke to her, just typed out messages on his phone & showed them to her who she then let lick her out?

The whole idea of a girl going round deflowering fat chicks armed only with a woolly hat, a fake facebook profile & a big pink dildo pleases me greatly.

• 2 weeks later...

The wonderful Cornerhouse in Manchester showed this beauty last night

art-of-rap.jpg

Chest/Mike/shep/Loki, have you guys seen this? Ice T goes around asking everyone what the art of Rap is all about. In terms of structure, it isn't up to much but in terms of warmth and humour, its brilliant. Some of the anecdotes are absolutely hilarious. I think my favourite one was KRS-ONE recanting the story of how he had his first rap battle. Spoilered in case you haven't seen it or plan to.

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

He said he was just watching a battle when one of the guys ripped on him for the state of his jeans. KRS was miffed by this, wondering why he was being picked on, so he thought "I'm not having this" and went at it. He won and then took up the rap game

You don't have to be a fan of Hip Hop to enjoy this.

She must be fucking thick, she's now dating a guy she met via Facebook, apparently she learnt nothing from her last experience! She's fairly sure this ones actually a guy though...

• Moderators
The wonderful Cornerhouse in Manchester showed this beauty last night

art-of-rap.jpg

Chest/Mike/shep/Loki, have you guys seen this? Ice T goes around asking everyone what the art of Rap is all about. In terms of structure, it isn't up to much but in terms of warmth and humour, its brilliant. Some of the anecdotes are absolutely hilarious. I think my favourite one was KRS-ONE recanting the story of how he had his first rap battle. Spoilered in case you haven't seen it or plan to.

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

He said he was just watching a battle when one of the guys ripped on him for the state of his jeans. KRS was miffed by this, wondering why he was being picked on, so he thought "I'm not having this" and went at it. He won and then took up the rap game

You don't have to be a fan of Hip Hop to enjoy this.

I read about this the other day. Really looking forward to seeing it, especially after your review.

• Paid Members

I stumbled upon Bigger, Stronger, Faster on YouTube earlier, which focuses on the use of performance-enhancing drugs in the US. It also takes a look at the family of the documenter Chris Bell, the middle child of three brothers who had all used steroids; the oldest brother being ex-WWE jobber Mike Bell. Definitely worth a watch if you've got some time spare.

• Paid Members

I've been really looking forward to this. It's (unsurprisingly) not come round to my neared multiplex but I'll be getting on DVD for sure. I've not heard a bad thing about it, I've seen the list of interview subjects & it reads like my perfect music doc.

Jealous

A documentary on Drew Struzan and his work.

That looks fantastic although it doesn't seem to have a release date yet :(

My weekend nightshift partner at work and i have started a sort of habbit where by one of takes turns every month in bringing in some films and documentaries to watch as it turns out we're both into all sorts of weird and wacky documentaries.

I've plumped for:

The Bridge

Grizzly Man

Discovery Channel: Zero Hour - Massacre At Columbine

And a bit of Jean Claude Van Damme 'AWOL' thrown in for good measure!

• Paid Members

"The Bridge" sounds like fun. :(

People suffer largely unnoticed while the rest of the world goes about its business. This is a documentary exploration of the mythic beauty of the Golden Gate Bridge, the most popular suicide destination in the world, and those drawn by its call. Steel and his crew filmed the bridge during daylight hours from two separate locations for all of 2004, recording most of the two dozen deaths in that year (and preventing several others). They also taped interviews with friends, families and witnesses, who recount in sorrowful detail stories of struggles with depression, substance abuse and mental illness. Raises questions about suicide, mental illness and civic responsibility as well as the filmmaker's relationship to his fraught and complicated material.
Edited by bAzTNM#1