Documentary Thread #2

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

I Think We're Alone Now - A doc following two Tiffany mega-fans, or mental stalkers depending on your POV. It was actually quite sad as both of the people featured have mental problems (one had Aspergers & the other was going through a sex change after being born a hermaphrodite). The most affecting part of it for me is that Tiffany was practically a one-hit wonder yet still has people willing to travel far & wide to see her & hopefully get to meet her. If she's getting them then surely so's Debbie Gibson, Taylor Dane & every other boy/girl band out there? Almost like every piece of that type of fame comes with an attached life sentence. This is on Netflix & worth checking out, it's only on for just over an hour.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

ive got that one DVD, it's one of them documentaries that's very hard to get someone to watch because telling someone what its about this kind of response: :confused:

anyway's i just saw Jonestown: The Life and Death of Peoples Temple on BBC 2 as part of the Storyville series, it's a subject ive always known about and id read bits and pieces and ive always been fascinated by the pictures of the event/slaughter/suicide (pick whichever you feel applicable), but holy fucking shit it's a messed up tale. The doc. hit that nerve in me that by the end i felt uneasy about watching it, it's very sad and very disturbing.

How one man can convince people to do what they did is just fucking mindblowing, ive never seen anything like it.

jonestown_film_landing.jpg

• Paid Members
ive got that one DVD, it's one of them documentaries that's very hard to get someone to watch because telling someone what its about this kind of response: :confused:

anyway's i just saw Jonestown: The Life and Death of Peoples Temple on BBC 2 as part of the Storyville series, it's a subject ive always known about and id read bits and pieces and ive always been fascinated by the pictures of the event/slaughter/suicide (pick whichever you feel applicable), but holy fucking shit it's a messed up tale. The doc. hit that nerve in me that by the end i felt uneasy about watching it, it's very sad and very disturbing.

How one man can convince people to do what they did is just fucking mindblowing, ive never seen anything like it.

A truly enthralling Doc, had me hooked all the way through.

I knew a wee amount regarding the ongoings of Jonestown, but I was stunned with the actual accounts, photo evidence and most of all the video footage from the final two days.

The audio archive of the final moments was harrowing to say the least, and how 700 (approx) grown adults allowed the systematic murder of 200 (approx) children blows my mind.

The noise of the children crying, and the footage of the plane being opened up on and the cameraman and his camera being taken out really made me wonder how the fuck this ever actually happened, it's real, yet remarkably is more believable as a work of fiction.

Didn't feel the 'White Nights' were best represented, by all accounts the 'rehearsal' was voted for and agreed by the extreme vast majority of the ppopulation, that did seem to be skipped over a tad to make the actual 'suicide/murder' a little more adhoc and viscious, not of course that it wasn't.

Great watch, glad I had a lapse into insommnia last night for this docu alone.

Edited by Teedy Kay

• Paid Members

yeh, the footage and audio is what got me, i was always of the assumption that the only thing that existed were the aftermatch pictures.

The clips from the audio in the doc. is enough for me, i don't wanna hear the whole thing. I've read a few transcripts and it's very weird. 900 fucking people!

Just watched The Imposter

Wow. This is one of the most intriguing and yes, thrilling documentaries you will ever see. To think this was a real life story is mind boggling. I think it's best going into this movie not knowing much about the back story and you will be enthralled by the film as it unravels. Basically, a family in Texas loses their 13 year old son in 1994 and he resurfaces 3 years later and they welcome him back although he looks different, has an accent and looks much older than 16 yrs old. Watch as the mystery and craziness ensue. Yes, Truth is stranger than fiction sometimes.

• Paid Members

Watched American: The Bill Hicks Story the other night. Covered almost all the ground I expected and I really enjoyed it. Wasn't a fan of the style of it, but it was good that it wasn't a shitty talking heads style deal.

• Paid Members
Just watched The Imposter

Wow. This is one of the most intriguing and yes, thrilling documentaries you will ever see. To think this was a real life story is mind boggling. I think it's best going into this movie not knowing much about the back story and you will be enthralled by the film as it unravels. Basically, a family in Texas loses their 13 year old son in 1994 and he resurfaces 3 years later and they welcome him back although he looks different, has an accent and looks much older than 16 yrs old. Watch as the mystery and craziness ensue. Yes, Truth is stranger than fiction sometimes.

just watched it, it is a baffling and mind-blowing story. The fact that there's so little 'real' footage in the film makes it hard to really grasp how different the guy looked but from the small snippets you see you have to question anyone who would believe that the guy was their son.

The documentary definitly takes you on abit of a rollercoaster for around 15 minutes towards the end it firmly points the finger at the family and hints that they know what happened to Nicholas, then right at the end it yanks all that from under you and almost makes you feel you were duped by Frederic as well. I don't know if that was intentional, if it was it was a real clever bit of storytelling.

Still it leaves questions and you never really get any hint of another motive for that family believing Frederic was Nicholas, i just don't see how they fell for it!? his friends too!? what the fuck!

Look up Frederic Bourdin on wikipedia, mental guy.