Documentary Thread #2

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

If you're a documentary lover, you have to get access to US Netflix. It really does have an amazing documentary selection on there, I could quite easily go through and list about 100 this morning that I want to see and still not be finished with their catalogue.

• Moderators

I don't have any netflix at all at the moment, I was around a mate's house. But I'm strongly considering it. It's a format I want to support as it provides shows in a way that I want to watch them, so I'd rather pay for that than just keep copping shit for free.

How easy is it to get on the US Netflix? If it's not overly complicated that would definitely sell me.

• Paid Members

http://check.unblock-us.com

It's $4.99 per month, does pretty much everything automatically, and you're in the US Netflix. Even I figured out how to use it so clearly you could do it, too.

• Paid Members

I'd also recommend 'Broke' on Netflix, I think it's one of the ESPN docs. There's a lot of talking heads & the score is pretty terrible but it's about how 60% off all NBA players & 80% of NFL players (or some equally as ridiculous figure) go bankrupt within 2 years of retiring. It helps if you like US sports but it's pretty shocking stuff.

• Moderators

http://check.unblock-us.com

It's $4.99 per month, does pretty much everything automatically, and you're in the US Netflix. Even I figured out how to use it so clearly you could do it, too.

Nice one. I've got some motivation, and a deadline (arrested development release date) - this is getting done! (eventually).

• Paid Members

I've been giving the documentaries on Netflix a bit of a look recently, too. So far I've only watched Craigslist Joe, Whores Glory, Indie Game and The Bridge. There's just so much on there, I don't know where to start. Can I get any recommendations please? I'm not too fussed what it's about, as long as it's a decent watch.

• Paid Members
I've been giving the documentaries on Netflix a bit of a look recently, too. So far I've only watched Craigslist Joe, Whores Glory, Indie Game and The Bridge. There's just so much on there, I don't know where to start. Can I get any recommendations please? I'm not too fussed what it's about, as long as it's a decent watch.

Like you, I've only got through a few myself. I personally thought The Imposter was an incredible piece of filmmaking and a fine documentary. 6 Days To Air was really good if you're a South Park fan, American: The Bill Hicks Story was quite unique in its style and who it interviewed about Hicks, and Inside Deep Throat was very good as well.

But there are so many on there, I can't even see myself making a dent unless I mainlined them for a month.

• Paid Members

Thanks, Gladders. I'll try and check those out, I was toying with the South Park one a few days ago.

I really want to give 'Marley' a go, but the length is putting me off. Maybe I'll try it over 2 sittings.

On an unrelated note, I finally watched Triangle yesterday. My heads still hurts :(

• Paid Members
Thanks, Gladders. I'll try and check those out, I was toying with the South Park one a few days ago.

I really want to give 'Marley' a go, but the length is putting me off. Maybe I'll try it over 2 sittings.

On an unrelated note, I finally watched Triangle yesterday. My heads still hurts :(

The South Park one is only about an hour so it's easy to fit in somewhere.

Watch Triangle again in a couple of months and it's far more rewarding. It's all about Greek mythology, innit.

Cheers for the heads up about Southpark. I've always been a fan and in recent years it's been even more impressive how quickly they seem to turn around topical stuff from current affairs into their episodes content.

I also watched Pulling John last week and it's a good bit of fun, very much the Rocky IV buildup with the humble wholesome American pitted against the up and coming monster from the east and the added dimension of the cocky upstart from America who thinks he is the next big thing. Chest's sig picture of the insane dumb bell curl tell it's own story but there are other feats of strength in the documentary from Voevoda that just flat out takes the piss.

Not a huge MMA fan in recent year compared to what i used to be but i caught Fedor - The Baddest Man On The Planet last week which is definitely worth a watch. Gets an insight into what makes him tick, his motivation, training techniques prior to fights - all that sort of thing.

One other thing i've kept tabs on since someone mentioned it on here last year was the documentary film about the guy who made the posters for all the hollywood busters over the last few decades. Does anyone know when it's going to be released? Such a tease as it looks fantastic.

• Paid Members

Another interesting one on Netflix is 'Vigilante, Vigilante'. It's about anti-graffiti vigilantes called 'buffers'. People who like the graffiti artists themselves go out in the dead of night & cover up graffiti with their own plain paint. The film starts off as a 'graffiti vs bufferers' piece but gets altogether more odd as the as the people who do the buffering and their motivations are explored.

• Moderators

That sounds pretty interesting!

And I signed up to Netflix pretty much immediately after the earlier conversation. Check me out for work avoidance on a Monday morning..

Chest's sig picture of the insane dumb bell curl tell it's own story but there are other feats of strength in the documentary from Voevoda that just flat out takes the piss.

Seeing a guy that big flagpoling is just nuts. It impresses me anytime I see it, but with him... man.

• Moderators

Day 1 of Netflix.

Holy shit there's a lot on there! :omg:

But unfortunately not that South Park doc on the UK version.

Last night I watched the Being Elmo documentary.. I thoroughly enjoyed it (and just tried put out of my mind all the sexual allegations). Jim Henson and Kermit (the man, not the puppet) both seemed pretty awesome, and had good haircuts and facial hair.

I then fell asleep watching the X-Men cartoon.

I can see that I'm going to watch a lot of documentaries on there, because frankly films are too long these days. I don't have that much time to waste in an evening.

Any good tips for browsing on there? It doesn't seem the most intuitive website.