Documentary Thread #2

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
Anybody ever seen "The Bridge" started watching it earlier, seems pretty depressing though :(

Quite well known, and acclaimed that one, but not one I will probrably ever watch. Like my docs with eccentric nutters, not suicide footage.

• Paid Members

The American Scream

Not a classic but quite interesting. It's a look at a group of family's who dress up there homes every Halloween as Haunted houses. I can definitely see the attraction in doing it but the hard work these guys put in is OTT. It focuses on three near by homes who are different degrees of professional about it and they are quite the characters themselves.

SPOILERS FOR THE ENDING

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

I'd quite like a follow up to see how the guy that turned pro did in the end. Frankly his house was so professional he could have charged an entry fee to that.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

• Paid Members
The American Scream

Not a classic but quite interesting. It's a look at a group of family's who dress up there homes every Halloween as Haunted houses. I can definitely see the attraction in doing it but the hard work these guys put in is OTT. It focuses on three near by homes who are different degrees of professional about it and they are quite the characters themselves.

SPOILERS FOR THE ENDING

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

I'd quite like a follow up to see how the guy that turned pro did in the end. Frankly his house was so professional he could have charged an entry fee to that.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Loved this one. The father/son combo were excellent.

• 2 weeks later...

Knuckleball !

Sat down to watch this last night. All about the infamous baseball pitch; seems daft someone could make a full documentary about it but they have and it's pretty interesting.

Basically it's a form of pitch in baseball that is as effective as it is unpredictable which very few guys are able to throw effectively and even fewer are able to master hence the aura and mystique surrounding it. It's almost like a dying art form these days as there are a handful of guys in the MLB who operate with the knuckleball in their pitching arsenal.

Although i'm quite into my baseball i would not say you necessarily have to be fan to like it.

• Paid Members

Speaking of baseball if anyone has even a passing interest in it I would highly recommend Ken Burns Baseball.

It's 10 two hour episodes covering the entire history of baseball from when it was first invented right up to Boston winning the 2004 World Series.

Really cool stuff if you have an interest in it.

• Paid Members
Knuckleball !

Sat down to watch this last night. All about the infamous baseball pitch; seems daft someone could make a full documentary about it but they have and it's pretty interesting.

Basically it's a form of pitch in baseball that is as effective as it is unpredictable which very few guys are able to throw effectively and even fewer are able to master hence the aura and mystique surrounding it. It's almost like a dying art form these days as there are a handful of guys in the MLB who operate with the knuckleball in their pitching arsenal.

Although i'm quite into my baseball i would not say you necessarily have to be fan to like it.

yeh enjoyed it, i aint a baseball fan and know very little about the sport but it's a good watch, educates as well as entertains. I'll basically watch a documentary about any sport though.

• Paid Members

Watched "Mission To Lars" last night. It's a documentary made by the brother and sister of a person called Tom, a man who suffers from Fragile X Syndrome. One of his obsessions was to meet Lars Ulrich. His sister and brother decide to take him to the states to meet him. This documentary follows their journey to the USA to meet the Metallica drummer.

I thought it was quite a moving documentary. However at times, I could see them getting quite pissed off with Tom and doubting the trip. I didn't think that helped things with Tom. Seeing as Fragile X is a type of autism and the autistic like routine, being taken out of his comfort zone would have been a big deal for Tom. They couldn't have made it any more uncomfortable for him I don't think with their squabling and sometimes talking down to him.

However when that moment comes that they do finally meet Lars, it sure put a smile on my face.

It wasn't a long documentary, but it was interesting and quite fun at times!

• Paid Members

I saw a really good documentary on the performance artist/fashion weirdo/transexual nutcase Leigh Bowery on TV a few years ago, I'd like to see it again but I think it was made for the BBC or whatever as opposed to being a proper movie type one that's released on DVD etc. Anyone know how to watch these ones without being lucky enough to catch a repeat? Also did anyone else see it?