Documentary Thread #2

Egg Shen

• Moderators

Day 2.

Watched half of that Naked Ambition doc. It's not very good, but it is one of the first things that comes up when you go to the Documentaries category and it had tits in it so I was bound to watch it eventually so I thought I may as well get it out of the way.

It has its moments.. the best thing by far (in the first half anyway) being the Japanese rocket scientist turned sex toy designer. He's hilarious.

(Also watched some Fantastic Four cartoon)

I'd also recommend 'Broke' on Netflix, I think it's one of the ESPN docs. There's a lot of talking heads & the score is pretty terrible but it's about how 60% off all NBA players & 80% of NFL players (or some equally as ridiculous figure) go bankrupt within 2 years of retiring. It helps if you like US sports but it's pretty shocking stuff.

That sounded interesting, so I gave it a watch. I had no idea NFL players careers were so short and that they got zero during the off season. Makes me wonder about football players over here moaning about how short their careers are. Roughly about 10 years or so at top level, never mind retiring at the likes of QPR and still picking up silly money. Still the money some of those NFL players were spending is just crazy. I guess it must be mad to have such a large jump in wages after one night. Probably best to treat it like you keep winning the lotto every week for 3 years, rather than assume that's what you'll be getting from now on. I know this was about sports, but that late 90s boom in tech/media/property etc that they touch on briefly would be an interesting documentary to watch. I guess we are paying the price for that now.

I think the worst thing about it, was the guys who actually tried to invest there money in other things, only for them to get fucked over.

Also did you notice the Coach was in this for about 2 seconds? Seems he is doing alright for himself.

Just watched "Pulling John" and yes, it is brilliant. The three guys are really different but likeable, even Travis. Underneath the brashness lies respect for the others and the sport. John is such a top bloke.

Alexey is a beast.

• Moderators
Just watched "Pulling John" and yes, it is brilliant. The three guys are really different but likeable, even Travis. Underneath the brashness lies respect for the others and the sport. John is such a top bloke.

Alexey is a beast.

You're right. I wanted him to fit the tempalte of a bad guy whilst watching, but although he was cocky he showed good sportsmanlike behaviour throughout.

Alexey is a beast.

You're right. I wanted him to fit the tempalte of a bad guy whilst watching, but although he was cocky he showed good sportsmanlike behaviour throughout.

Totally. You thought he'd be the heel type character but I guess his dad fitted that role more! His bar looked like a place I won't be going, the coat of arms thing with the axes and the gun was bizarre.

Ebb, you're in for an f'n treat!

• Paid Members

Watched 'Side By Side' on Netflix. Keanu Reeves interviews lots of different directors about the pro's & cons of filming digitally rather than on film. It's pretty much as geeky as it sounds so from that alone you'll know if it's going to interest you or not. I enjoyed it, some of the people included were Martin Scorsese, Steven Soderbergh, James Cameron & the Wachowski's. Some really interesting titbits & geek facts in there (nearly every shot of 'O Brother Where Art Thou' was digitally altered) but there little there for the non-film buff.

Ebb, you're in for an f'n treat!
:laugh:

• Paid Members

Yeh enjoyed Pulling John, entertaining stuff. I love it when these docs dish up a cast of characters worthy of a hollywood movie. I found myself rooting for Russian but when John busted out that fancy move in the final i damn near shit my skids, proper heart in the mouth stuff.

If anyone follows the MMA threads you'll know ive got a thing for Russian athletes, i love how primitive their styles of training are and how emotionless they when they compete, no nonsence. Fucking quality.

• Moderators

I watched the South Park documentary and loved it. I love stuff like that when I get an insight into the creative processes behind some work I really enjoy. (although I can count on one hand the amount of "making of" DVD extras I've bothered to watch because they seem to be mostly turd).

edit - also, I think it's because this is animation and not live film which is more interesting to me. And music studio / recording documentaries. Those are great too..

Would love any recommendations in this vein.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

Yeh enjoyed Pulling John, entertaining stuff. I love it when these docs dish up a cast of characters worthy of a hollywood movie. I found myself rooting for Russian but when John busted out that fancy move in the final i damn near shit my skids, proper heart in the mouth stuff.

If anyone follows the MMA threads you'll know ive got a thing for Russian athletes, i love how primitive their styles of training are and how emotionless they when they compete, no nonsence. Fucking quality.

Totally agree with you about the final. I couldn't sit down! I loved the Taoist parable that Andrey the giant told. It's shit like that is what separates him from mere mortals. That and his super strength anyway.

Watched 'Side By Side' on Netflix. Keanu Reeves interviews lots of different directors about the pro's & cons of filming digitally rather than on film. It's pretty much as geeky as it sounds so from that alone you'll know if it's going to interest you or not. I enjoyed it, some of the people included were Martin Scorsese, Steven Soderbergh, James Cameron & the Wachowski's. Some really interesting titbits & geek facts in there (nearly every shot of 'O Brother Where Art Thou' was digitally altered) but there little there for the non-film buff.

Sounds interesting. I remember Total Film raving about it, may have to have a look on Amazon and see how much it is going for :thumbsup:

• Paid Members

Try The Reinactors and Confessions of a Superhero on Netflix. Both focus on the Characters ouside Manns Chinese theatre in LA. Also enjoyed The Dungeon Masters recently.