Documentary Thread #2

Egg Shen

• 4 weeks later...
Lots and lots of lovely ESPN 30 for 30 can be found here ready to watch at your leisure.

Giant love, Butch.

Everyone knows the Two Escobars so I recommend Once Brothers. I'd give a review but I couldn't do it justice - just watch it. The U is class as well.

EDIT - holy shit, the Straight Out of LA one is intro'd by Ice Cube.

Edited by WildSybianRider

• Paid Members
holy shit, the Straight Out of LA one is intro'd by Ice Cube.

It's directed by Cube. It's pretty good but could've done with less of Snoop giving his commentary whilst completely baked.

The 'Reggie Miller vs The New York Knicks' doc is one of my favourite 30 For 30 docs. If you were a NBA fan in the mid-90's it's essential viewing.

• Moderators

As my latest fad of climbing continues, I watched Touching the Void last night.

I remembered reading about this on a Richard Herring Warming Up entry like ten years ago or something stupid. For some reason it stuck in my head and I've always meant to watch it and now I had even more reason, and it was there on Netflix.

Anyway. It's an amazing story. If you're not familiar with it, it's about two mates who went to climb a mountain in Peru and the horribly ordeal they had.

I'm usually not the biggest fan of docs that rely on reconstructions but the story was really well told here so it kept me totally engrossed. They kept it very nail-biting, but without over-doing or sensationalising it.They didn't really let the actors speak much at all so they didn't ruin it. Perhaps not the hardest thing to make because the story is so unbelievable it carries the doc by itself, but they recognised this and gave it the space to breathe and kept everything else minimal, so well done.

Definitely recommended.

But I have got that fucking Boney M tune in my head today...

Edited by Chest Rockwell

Yeah I love Touching the Void too. Incredible story, that guy is fucking tough. I have to say I would probably just roll up into a ball and wait to die. You get the feeling that although he claims to have forgiven the other guy for cutting him loose, deep down he despises his actions.

The Boney M thing is really funny too, I often get really inane music stuck in my head at the most inappropriate moments

• Moderators

Funny you say that.. I would have expected to get that impression but I didn't that much. I'm sure he thinks that he is definitely a stronger man than the other guy, but tbh he is pretty well entitled to think that he is mentally stronger than just about anyone. I'm sure he's probably had trust issues since then though!

The underlying tension between them over it must be pretty intense regardless, though. I can't imagine either of them can bare to spend that much time with the other (or at least probably couldn't for a while)... the guy who cut the rope was clearly still pretty wracked with guilt after all this time.

I loved the little fact that he was pissed off that they'd burned his trousers when he got to the bottom. :laugh:

I'm not sure if there's any others in a similar vein.. I will be on the look out, but let me know if you come across anything. Not sure I can bring myself to watch that James Franco movie of a similar plot. I did re-watch Cliffhanger last week if that counts? Hah.

• Paid Members
Yeah I love Touching the Void too. Incredible story, that guy is fucking tough. I have to say I would probably just roll up into a ball and wait to die. You get the feeling that although he claims to have forgiven the other guy for cutting him loose, deep down he despises his actions.

The Boney M thing is really funny too, I often get really inane music stuck in my head at the most inappropriate moments