Documentary Thread #2

Egg Shen

Has Nick Broomfield ever actually made a good documentary? Strikes me that he's a useless twat who never seems to be able to get access to anything or anyone and never comes to any interesting conclusions in anything that he's ever done.

he interviewed Wurnos extensively on Death Row, great documentary.

I like everything ive seen by Broomfield.

Really? I thought Kurt & Courtney was one of the worst documentaries I've ever seen.

Have you seen Biggie & Tupac? He concludes that the head of Death Records had Tupac shot, IIRC, which was an interesting conclusion at least.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Watched Fetishes by Nick Broomfield tonight. Absolutely awful on almost every level. Either Broomfield is a complete fucking ignoramus and idiot who genuinely doesn't understand anything or he's extremely clever and managed to dress up a bit of kinky grot as a serious factual film to get a general release. Either way, it's borderline offensive and Broomfield is fucking shit.

• Paid Members

Watched 'Everyday Sunshine' the story of 90's LA alt-rockers 'Fishbone'. A bit of a one hit wonder who had a reputation for incredible live shows but never had the commercial success to match although coming close several times. Excellent film, funny shocking & sad. It's on Netflix & I'd highly recommend it.

• Paid Members

Yeah 'Swim' was one of them, 'Everyday Sunshine' was another. I usually tend to gravitate towards music, sports or stand-up docs & this was definitely one of the better ones. There's some good input from other people who were around the LA music scene at the time (Flea, Ice T) & some of the concert footage from the time is fantastic.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
The Two Escobars has just recently been put up.

A good one.

Most of the "ESPN 30 for 30" are classic. Out of the ones I've watched, "June 17, 1994", "Without Bias", "Jordan Rides the Bus", "Tim Richmond: To the Limit (Have the Kleenex ready)" and "Into the Wind" have all been great. ESPN Classics shows films from the series occasionally.

Not in the 30:30 series, ESPN Classics showed one called "Goose" a few days ago that was really good. Check that one out.

The life of Reece “Goose” Tatum who played in Negro League baseball and was an original member of the legendary Harlem Globetrotters.
Edited by bAzTNM#1