Documentary Thread #2

Egg Shen

Cheers, Guy. I was going to watch that at some point. Probably after "The Act Of Killing" which I recorded last night. Watched the start and knew I would be upset by it. I didn't need that before bed so watched a ten minute free view to lighten the mood.

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members
Currently watching Get Thrashed: The Story Of Thrash Metal on Youtube, which is great fun to watch for an old metalhead like myself. http://youtu.be/sWYQP8lJH00

I have really eclectic taste in music but 80s Thrash Metal is the one type I'd say is my favourite above all. I really like this documentary but there's one thing that taints it for me; I love all the archive footage and people who were on the scene first hand talking about it, if they'd kept it at that it would be an in depth and timeless look at the 80s Thrash scene. Unfortunately they have some really shit talking heads from when the documentary was made putting their 2 cents in and some modern crowd footage too. Hearing Tom Araya and Scott Ian talk about Thrash is great and informative, hearing Kittie talk about it just dates it horribly and really takes me out of the zone.

What's weird is it's from 2008, so Kittie and Godsmack were hardly relative at that time, but it's obviously older interview footage a lot of the time. Since you see stuff like Kerry King's beard isn't that long same goes for Scott Ian's, so judging by that the footage is from about 5/6 years earlier.

• 3 months later...
A documentary on Drew Struzan and his work.

That looks fantastic although it doesn't seem to have a release date yet :(

Have been eagerly waiting for this for well over a year now. Looks like it's getting a DVD release at the end of November and probably onto iTunes as well so hopefully not too much longer before we can see it.

Finally been released after god knows how long a delay. Torrents floating about online if you are looking for it.

• Paid Members

Think I mentioned in the DVDs thread. It randomly turned up on US netflix a few months ag and managed to see it then. Great doc with some great talking heads and insight into his work ( even if he does come across as a bit of a prick at times).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Stumbled across a doc on Netflix called "Give Up Tomorrow"

Didn't have high expectations since it didn't even have a Wikipedia page and only around 100+ people rated it on IMDB yet IT'S FUCKING INCREDIBLE.

It's honestly Paradise Lost on speed.

Well worth checking out but not reading up beforehand.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Subscribed to Netflix again and I noticed the US version has all the excellent "ESPN: 30 for 30" documentaries. A bloody goldmine. What one should I start with? I remember bubbling watching the "Without (Len) Bias" one which is probably the only time I'll ever cry about Basketball.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

Not sure if this has been mentioned in the thread yet, but I just got through Oliver Stone's Untold History of the United States. It's Oliver Stone, so the politics of it will appeal more to those who, like me, don't have a particularly high opinion of America's foreign policy or leaders in the first place, but it's also not very informative about some of the perhaps more genuinely 'heroic' figures on the fringes of American history.

On a similar note, does anyone know where I can find an English language/subtitled version of either Comandante or The Last Yugoslavian Football Team? I've been looking for these two for ages, but the only ones I can find have French/Spanish subs.

• Paid Members

I'm not into Basketball, but those ESPN 30:for:30 documentaries about it are absolutely staggeringly good.

Does anybody know where I could get that documentary about the American Samoa football team? I don't believe it will ever be released over here.

Edited by bAzTNM#1