Documentary Thread #2

Egg Shen

• Moderators

Me and my mates had a slight fascination with the Joyce's a fair few years back. Nice to know they're still kicking about. Will check that out, cheers fellas.

Badassery never takes a day off. Here's Big Joe Joyce spitting HOT FIRE on New Years Day.

Also, Joe Joyce was right about the Quinns. Michael Quinn McDonagh (James' brother in the Knuckle doc who fights a few times) is currently doing life after beating his wife to death, a beating which lasted one hour and twenty fucking minutes.

Up the Joyces!

Edited by PowerButchi

Love this thread, massive fan of docs.

TV wise, This World: Secret's Of Mexicos Drug War was excellent and well worth a watch http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b055kpfh/this-world-secrets-of-mexicos-drug-war

Also, been enjoyed Inside The Commons series and also the 2 part series on the Crossrail Project (mostly because it impacts my work), but still really well made. The BBC and especially anything under the Storyville banner is absolute quality documentary making.

Film wise, anyone heard of Finders Keepers? The strangest premise for a documentary I have heard for a while. Basically man buys storage and lock up. Inside is a smoker, and inside is a severed foot. He thinks that he will become a reality TV star and goes on news etc, and then a recovering drug addict/homeless person then realises the leg is his, and the whole thing revolves around ownership and legality. You couldn't make it up.

http://www.sundance.org/projects/finders-keepers

Also, looking forward to seeing Dawg Fight. Sounds mental http://www.dawg-fight.com/

Me and my mates had a slight fascination with the Joyce's a fair few years back. Nice to know they're still kicking about. Will check that out, cheers fellas.

Badassery never takes a day off. Here's Big Joe Joyce spitting HOT FIRE on New Years Day.

Also, Joe Joyce was right about the Quinns. Michael Quinn McDonagh (James' brother in the Knuckle doc who fights a few times) is currently doing life after beating his wife to death, a beating which lasted one hour and twenty fucking minutes.

Up the Joyces!

Fuck sake, I remember watching the documentary and being all for the McDonagh's (kind of hard not to when they force it as they are the good guys), but that beating is enough for me to switch allegiances.

Now my next hour or so will be youtubing hype videos and watching the fights between the groups. It is fascinating and awesome.

(I recently read one of the 'shit' threads and there is a certain toilet seat in that video which will make Steve Justice fist pump!)

Watched a cracking documentary last night called All This Mayhem, it's about 2 young Australian skateboarders called Tas & Ben Pappas. I was never a follower of skateboarding apart from the Tony Hawk games and a lil bit of Bam Margera on Jackass etc but this is amazing

Without giving anything away it's about their rise and fall in the skateboarding scene including loads of handheld footage from back in the early/mid 90's and footage of tournaments etc

Well worth a watch even for non fans and it's made by the Vice team so as usual you know what to expect

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2938416/

Bit grim this one. Documentary was made for schools and released in 1992. Don't know how it got out in the Public Domain. It's about people who die on the railway lines. All of the dodgy bits have been pixellated out, thankfully, by the uploader. I remember seeing this in school. I repeat, this is GRIM.

British Rail - "Killing Time"

Woosh, good shout Baz. I remember that as soon as i saw the opening scenes.

Brought back memories of two other similar ones. Might have been TV adverts actually.

<youtube>

Edited by Stylin_and_Profilin

Watched a cracking documentary last night called All This Mayhem, it's about 2 young Australian skateboarders called Tas & Ben Pappas. I was never a follower of skateboarding apart from the Tony Hawk games and a lil bit of Bam Margera on Jackass etc but this is amazing

Without giving anything away it's about their rise and fall in the skateboarding scene including loads of handheld footage from back in the early/mid 90's and footage of tournaments etc

Well worth a watch even for non fans and it's made by the Vice team so as usual you know what to expect

Does it tell you much about Bens last days? I know a few people like to conveniently forget that he brutally killed his girlfriend. But yeah, you'll probably like DogTown and Z-Boys. It's a brilliant doc about the 70's Zephyr skate team and there's a tonne of sweet footage from the time, the style those guys were skating was unlike anything else and is still some of the most aesthetically pleasing stuff.

• Paid Members

there's tons of skateboarding documentaries about, i need to have a bit of a session on them. I picked this one up in Cash Generator for a quid a while back, but it's a region 1 disk so i need to dig out my old multi-region DVD player.

stoked-the-rise-and-fall-of-gator-movie-

http://skateboard.about.com/od/skateboardinglifestyle/tp/Skateboarding-Movies-Top-10-Movies-With-Skateboarding.htm <<< a random top 10 skateboarding movies list, some documentaries amongst the list.

Edited by Ebb

Does it tell you much about Bens last days? I know a few people like to conveniently forget that he brutally killed his girlfriend. But yeah, you'll probably like DogTown and Z-Boys. It's a brilliant doc about the 70's Zephyr skate team and there's a tonne of sweet footage from the time, the style those guys were skating was unlike anything else and is still some of the most aesthetically pleasing stuff.

Yeah it sort of covers his last days, not alot of time is put into the story just that he killed her and dumped her body it came across to me like they wanted to make her out to be the one what led him into this destructive life style from what I can remember.

I remember watching DogTown and Z-Boys when it was 1st shown on Sky and thinking it was amazing, not seen it since so might have to rewatch that. Just read the synopsis of Ebb's recommendation and that sounds right up my street gonna look for a link for that now.

Just had a quick look and it's on Youtube which is handy

Edited by Kamaras-Tash

Going Clear was on HBO and I watched it before work, I don't think I've been as excited for a documentary as I was with this it was hyped up all week. It's the Alex Gibney Scientology documentary, if you've not see any of Gibney's documentaries check them out. Especially Enron: The smartest men in the room, it's just brilliant.

Anyway this is also great, basically shits all over Scientology, but it really goes to another level when they start talking about Tom Cruise. That's when it starts to get weird, in the greatest way possible. It won't disappoint! (I can't stress how amazing the Tom Cruise bit is.)

Social media seems to really have made Scientology a joke these days, don't get me wrong it was always a joke, it's just now there's so many voices calling it shit that they can't really do anything about it.

David Miscavige is an evil genius, he deserves so much praise for what he did for Scientology. Without him Scientology would be nothing, he is the Vince McMahon of the church. I actually have a sort of respect for the guy's business savvy and ruthless nature. Watch the documentary and you will understand why I say that. Actually, Vince has nothing on this guy!

Anyway, if you want a link and can't be bothered to find one, here is the one I used. (If links to these places are a no no I will delete it.)

http://gorillavid.in/5d6i59o80hci