Documentary Thread #2

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Just polishing off Starring Adam West on Netflix. Really fun look at the man and the legend. I've followed the struggle to get a star in the hall of fame due Ralph Garman on the Hollywood Babble-on podcast. So its awesome to get to see it play out. Also I didn't know much about his history outside Batman. I've really enjoyed it. He just seems like a great fun dude at the end of the day.

Slightly more main stream as it was on BBC2 last week but did anyone see the documentary marking 25 years since the Strangeways prison riot in Manchester?

I caught it by pure chance flicking channels and as soon as i saw the images of the guys on the roof i vaguely remembered it from the news as i'd have been about six or seven at the time.

It's pretty well balanced with interviews from the guards involved, the prison governer himself and abou half a dozen of the prisoners including the two main men behind it (who still look scary as hell even as old men a quarter of a century later). Pretty remarkable how they managed to over throw the regime the way they did and in a strange sense you are almost siding with the prisoners and egging them on given how shite their living conditions were and how much abuse they took from the guards and staff.

It's on demand through SKY+ as well as BBC iPlayer if anyone fancies checking it out.

This was great, and if you liked this, if you can find it, in the last Storyville run, they had a documentary called Russias Toughest Prison-The Condemned which is well worth a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YiVn5JQeTQ

Edited by gbacon85

• 1 month later...

Think its been mentioned on the TV thread but The Jinx was a really great watch, watched all the episodes in 2 sittings. One of those cases where there is so much archive footage its almost unbelievable (Very much like Capturing The Friedmans)

Made by the same guy!

Sure someone mentioned how the last fifteen minutes were like nothing else they'd seen. Finished it last night and wow, unbelievable stuff. I've been thinking about it all night. An incredible series, Bob Durst is one cold fish, the whole family are odd.

• Paid Members

i need to watch it...

i've seen a few things recently, including this:

MV5BMTY4NTA3MDkwN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjg2

HBO doc. about a criminal case of a New York cop who spent nights in his apartment talking about sick fantasies on a message board. His wife found the posts (with good reason), reported him and he was arrested. The doc. never really asks the question of whether or not the guy had real criminal intentions (though there are subtle hints that they believe he did), it's more about the grey area the sits in, 'can a guy be punished for having a sick imagination'. Stay off them sick websites yo...

I was thinking of starting up abit of a crime thread because i've been watching a load of stuff on youtube regarding various crimes. There's a doc. channel by a person called Alana G. which produces small overview's of various messed up crimes including these two, the productions are cut and paste kind of things with a monotone narration but give you the basic details of the cases (they have graphic warning labels for a reason so be warned)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyqDHsJqWwk

^ insane case, how that got passed off as an accident just blows my mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVY3nSjrYDM

^ i vaguely remember that when it happened and i've read into it more. It's messed with me all week, it's some fucked up dark shit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WxaPYPDgPI

^ i'd never heard of that but it looks like it was a massive case in America, tons of other stuff online about it.

• Paid Members

His entire video diary is on youtube, there's no way im sitting through that. There's also a 90minute 'highlight' documentary, the 20 or so minutes in that video i posted is enough for me though.

Anyone else like the idea of a crime & investigation type thread? Dont wanna clog up the doc. thread with crime talk if we get into it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I've been reading through this thread for some documentary ideas and decided on King of Kong. What an awesome little film! If you haven't seen it you have to make an effort to watch it, its on Youtube

Highlight for me was

when Steve finally breaks the world record at Funstop, only to be upstaged by a tape from Billy Mitchell, Billy's mate phones him up to tell him the good news, and Billy answers the phone with "World record headquarters, how may I help you?" Like a lot of people have said in here he is such an awesome bad guy!

Really loved how serious they all take it as well, was a great story

• Paid Members

ahh yeh, King of Kong has been discuessed here before, its great. There's another similar documentary worth checking out called Ectasy of Order, all about competitive Tetris playing, it's not as good but it's well worth watching if you enjoyed King of Kong...

81%2BmF6WB1zL._SY445_.jpg

• Paid Members

true that.

after watching Ecstasy of Order i went back to the Twin Galaxy site to see how Billy was getting on and found out that in the wake of King of Kong a whole new wave of Donkey Kong players game along and smashed Billy's records to bits :(