Documentary Thread #2

Egg Shen

• Awards Moderator

I'd heard about the Press Your Luck event but never seen it so thanks for that. There's really no need to embed the whole original show in there though. Could easily be a 20 min doc.

Not quite on topic but near enough: on iPlayer now is the annual Top of the Pops review of 35 years ago. For the hard of counting that's 1980. What a tumultuous time in pop music, a very distinct divide between the decades splits it clean down the middle. Madness being jerks, Phil Oakey showing them how it's done, OMD pushing the producers... very entertaining and well worth a watch.

Edited by Onyx2

Picked up 3 documentaries to watch last Friday. Alternative Reality, which is about Football Manager, Birth of the Living Dead about the making of Night of the Living Dead and Filmed in Supermarionation about the production team behind the likes of Thunderbirds, Stingray and Captain Scarlett

• Paid Members

I watched the Press Your Luck one as well.. Well, skipped through it because it was terribly made and moved at a glacial pace. Jeanie was intensely irritating, the way she clapped like one of those wind up cymbal crashing monkeys. The code was amazingly basic - something like that these days would be unimaginable. Simpler times!

if i was on the show i'd have clicked that he was landing on the same two squares every time, no one seemed to cotton on though. Once they explained the pattern i was following it myself, so simple. Madness.

• Paid Members

I watched the Press Your Luck one as well.. Well, skipped through it because it was terribly made and moved at a glacial pace. Jeanie was intensely irritating, the way she clapped like one of those wind up cymbal crashing monkeys. The code was amazingly basic - something like that these days would be unimaginable. Simpler times!

Also, it may have been a massively unsporting way to play the game but it wasn't cheating.

Yeah, watched it too - was interesting but could have been summed up in < 30mins. The girl contestant was a knob - full of herself. And he didn't cheat anyway - he just outsmarted them.

I actually got round to watching it last night, I started to watch it Monday night then I fell asleep 25 minutes in. It was directed by the same guy who did Not Quite Hollywood about the Australian film industry. Strangely it was produced by Bret Ratner and the films he directs are about the same quality of many of the Cannon films. At the end it mentioned that Golen and Globus the two guys behind Cannon refused to be in the documentary, but went on to make their own called the Go-Go Boys which I'll have to check out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Awards Moderator

I watched Tim's Vermeer last week. It's a film by Penn & Teller, though they are barely part of the onscreen story, following insane genius Tim Jenison trying to deduce Dutch artist Vermeer's methods. Histechnique was ahead of it's time, so how did he do it?

It sounds very stuffy, and while it's not Taken 3 the story is compelling and fascinating, and makes a great case for the confluence of art and science. It took on a special significance for me as my late grandad used to recreate Vermeer and I would love to know his thoughts on what Tim discovered.

An excellent study in perseverance, concentration and effort.

• 4 weeks later...