The lets all point and laugh at Fin Martin thread

Love how the last words in the last article of the last issue are a dig at John Cena :laugh:

At one point, most of my Student Loan was spent on wrestling Merch. Now aside from the odd book or DVD that tickles my fancy (I think I have only one post Silvervision release), or stuff at the gimmick tables at events that I attend, I hardly buy anything. The one exception has been PS, which I've bought constantly since 1999, though been bought mostly out of habit the last few years.

So, bearing in mind when I got my iPad, I started subscribing to the digital version, is it worth picking up FWOnline/Wrestling Observer as a replacement?

Edited by Doctor Whos Next

Sorry to hear that the mag is being scrapped as I've been a long term reader going right back to the days of Superstars of Wrestling it's forerunner. I stopped buying it around 2000 but in the last two years have been a loyal reader again. I'm not really suprised it's closing, and not just because of the internet, as picking up a copy from '94 and 2014 not much has changed. Same format, lay-out etc. Problem is Fin couldn't bare to evolve or move with e times - I'm quite surprised it's lasted this long. I've always thought the front covers have been so basic and look piss-poor on the shelves of newsagents next to 'proper' mags. Plus it's the same tired writers. At least with FSM they have the celeb writers. I guess Fin wouldn't want anyone to upstage him.

The thing I really hate is it's been his mouthpiece to push his opinions within it's pages - funny thing is he'll slag off people in letters pages or put his thoughts across in such an ignorant way that he looks like a complete dick when year's later you read back issues and find the things that 'Will never happen' did happen.

• Paid Members

Gutted. I've bought every PS since Sting won the belt at Starrcade 97. True, for a long time it's been out of habit and increasingly it told me less and less that I didn't already know, but I still enjoyed parts of it every month.

I would have considered FSM as an alternative, but having picked one up two weekends ago where they justified TNA putting the belt on Eric Young, I'm really not sure I can...

Genuinely have every issue of Powerslam from the very first one with Owen Hart on the cover that is looking decidedly dog-eared and worn right now.

At the time, PowerSlam was THE cool wrestling magazine for me, introducing me to this crazy promotion called ECW as well as Japanese wrestling (they had wrestling in Japan!? - hey, I was young) and I remember reading about, and then seeing, pictures from FMW bomb-matches and thinking this was something from another world. It also really encouraged me as a reader to explore my wrestling horizons beyond the WWF and WCW and discover this whole new world of wrestling and wrestlers.

I started to read PowerSlam in 1993 when it was known as Superstars of Wrestling. The first copy I bought was Issue 17 and I believe it had a picture of The 123 Kid somewhere on the cover.

From then I bought every issue until I eventually became a subscriber in 1995. I think I cancelled my subscription around 2 or 3 years later as, for whatever reason, the magazine always seemed to arrive late. Occasionally, I was able to read the latest issue in WHSmiths before I received it in the post which influenced my decision to cancel my subscription.

I finally stopped buying the magazine in 2004/05 largely because I'd lost interest in the magazine and was buying it out of habit. I haven't bought another wrestling magazine since.

Despite having lost interest in the product, I am genuinely sorry to see PowerSlam fold as it used to be a staple of my formative years. I may even buy the last ever issue for old times sake.

• Paid Members
Eric Young - Fighting Champion is one of TNAs better decisions of recent times I thought. He rose to it fine.

Not a bad idea and he's certainly a good talent but it was executed poorly. They just decided to do it one day, didn't give a fuck that Young hadn't been the focus of their attention beforehand to ensure fans were sufficiently behind him in his quest and hadn't lined anything up for him once he won it.

Decent, if completely ripped off, idea. Terrible execution.

Regular reader of PS since 1999,but have hardly bought it over the last year or two.Still produced the odd decent article or interview,but Fin's bitterness and the amount of non-relevant content (house show results,month old tv reviews etc) eventually made me stop buying it.

Still fondly remember discovering PS and being shocked/delighted reading about behind the scenes stuff that you didn't get in the WWF mags,and also had a few smarky letters printed in my work-rate phase in 03 or 04.

Cheers anyway Fin,hopefully you saved your money from the attitude era!

• Paid Members

Every month since I was 17. Every single fucking month I would buy Powerslam and read it over lunch, despite itself.

It's just been a ritual of mine, and one I've always enjoyed and looked forward to...and I'm quite sad now.

FSM just doesn't have that prestige in my eyes that PS has. Before the internet, there was PS and I applaud them fucks who ran it.

All my old PS' have some sort of sauce or food substance embedded into it.

And I'd like to thank an old friend of mine named John Taylor for introducing me to it in 1996 one day when I came home from school.

I was greeted with "Dude! DUDE! It's real! A real wrestling magazine!!!!!!"

Edited by Scott Malbranque

Sad news. Grew up with PS. Got Issue 2 (largely as it had Hulk Hogan on the cover) first and then Issue 1 from a bargain bin a few weeks later. Remember getting my newsie to order it in in 1997, when wrestling was largely on its arse and it had disappeared from most shelves. I used to get mine from a place called 'Shopping Basket' and I remember being there moments after it had been robbed, one Saturday. It was quite the moral dilemma, but I couldn't leave without buying my copy of PS, so I recall handing over the money to a teary shop assistant as they waited for the police to arrive I think. Happy memories! Cheers Fin and contributors.

• Paid Members

Did Fin complete the History Of PPV on-going feature? I haven't bought Powerslam in years due to its decline in quality, but whenever i had a wee browse of it in WHSmith, that was the one thing that i really liked. I wonder if some kind soul is going to upload the entire series as it made for great reading. Either that or Fin should release it. I'd happily chuck him a few quid for it.