The lets all point and laugh at Fin Martin thread

IIRC Hulk was ranked in the first PS50, somewhere in the low 40s. Like most people, Martin was excited about Hogan going to WCW and working with all the WCW guys, then somewhat less enthused when the whole promotion was changed to accomodate him and his buddies and it just became a second rate retread of 80s WWF.

His STF isn't tight (and I do think that could do with tightening up, though I wonder if he's conscious of it looking too violent for his character - in which case, it'd have been an idea to ditch it ages ago).

I personally think his STF is supposed to look like that, whilst it's not tight in the traditional sense, it does allow you to see the face of his opponent in full for them to actively sell it. More of an STF for TV

• Paid Members

I did love the Austin interview with Cena where he's going [paraphrased] "Man, you're really doing great. You get the crowd going, you work your ass off, you're a real credit to the business. You might want to tighten up the STF though."

The problem with Cena's STF isn't even that it isn't "tight" -- it's that he doesn't wrench on the opponent's face at all. He kind of locks his hands somewhere in front of the face of whoever he's fighting, but there's no attempt to do a facelock. I'm not sure why he does it like that, and I don't think he always did, did he? My assumption at one point was that it was so it wasn't dangerous for kids to imitate, but if anyone cared about that, then other wrestlers doing crossface type moves would be mindful of it too, and they're not.

I've just realised that his opponent should be able to just push their face forward into his hands/forearms and sell it like he's ripping their head off, but they never do.

That move's not just supposed to hurt the legs, is it?

His STF isn't tight (and I do think that could do with tightening up, though I wonder if he's conscious of it looking too violent for his character - in which case, it'd have been an idea to ditch it ages ago).

I personally think his STF is supposed to look like that, whilst it's not tight in the traditional sense, it does allow you to see the face of his opponent in full for them to actively sell it. More of an STF for TV

I've don't understood why they keep the STF as his finishing move now. During the pre-pg era it was done as cheap joke so they could call it the "stfu" along with his death valley driver move being called the "FU", rather than the "attitude adjustment" as it's called now.

No idea why they kept him doing the same move after they changed it back to it's original name.

I think he'd be better off doing a more simple submission finisher, like a leglock or something like the Boston Crab would be perfect especially since he's actually from Boston (or from Massachusetts anyway).

• Paid Members
No idea why they kept him doing the same move after they changed it back to it's original name.

Because he'd won the world title and won WrestleMania main events with it and it was an established part of his act?????

Because he'd won the world title and won WrestleMania main events with it and it was an established part of his act?????

But surely any act can be ammended over time?, if a decent amount of time was spent getting another finishing move over he could very well be using that finisher to win main events it doesn't have to be an stf.

• Paid Members

But surely any act can be ammended over time?, if a decent amount of time was spent getting another finishing move over he could very well be using that finisher to win main events it doesn't have to be an stf.

Well, yes, but why bother? The STF is already over as a finisher and is completely safe and painless for both Cena and his opponent. What's the point in spending time replacing it?

Stumbled across this thread many years late it seems but to take it back to the original point/spirit...

I buy both FSM and PS and have asked myself why on many occasions - easy, it's escapist reading.

I am concerned that PS has gone 11 issues a year, completely written by Fin Martin for the most part and the subs are ending - it does seem times are hard despite Fin writing in the mag previously that every PS has made a profit. The question is - how big a profit?

Does anyone have any photos of Fin - curious to see what he looks like. His twitter one is so dark it's impossible to make out his mug.

He came across as very well spoke and knowledgeable on the BBC World interview over the Ultimate Warrior's death. He doesn't speak much otherwise.

Pretty sure he sat behind me at a DGUK show in Nottingham in 2011 but couldn't be sure.

Anyway - back to the PS review. It's largely become a picture and list magazine. Most issues have lots of pictures, lesser amounts of articles and then through in a list of x wrestlers every now and then. The PS #200 was sadly 8 extra pages of lists!! Seems that there is a lot of space to fill and little written content to fill it.

I miss the retrospective articles, the features of wrestlers and so on - it annoyed some but I found them fascinating. You only get them for obituaries now sadly.

Historically it has eschewed the British scene, though it is nice to see some (limited) coverage of it in the magazine.

I virtually never read Santilli's page - don't like his style now or historically when he was Stately Wayne Manor.

So, in the spirit of making suggestions to TNA, John Cena and whoever else Fin thinks should improve - here's my wishlist

1. Reduce the amount of pictures - whilst an impressive archive - it's insulting to spend nearly

I didn't mind the big Wrestlemania review; I found it quite interesting.

The first thing that has to go though is the list of house show results.

Who cares about that stuff anymore? Maybe in 1994 it was interesting but not now

• Moderators

It fills a page. And these days it seems like Fin can't afford to pay real writers so it's especially good for him. To think, he used to have Patti Therre from WCW Magazine, and now when I finish it in 20 minutes in Smiths it's like the publication wants to go home early.