The lets all point and laugh at Fin Martin thread

• Paid Members
He said in the review of the WWE 50 years DVD, and I quote, " John Cena vs CM Punk(Feb RAW 2013) doesn't merit a place here". How can he be so blind to what was clearly a phenomenal match?

Wow, he thinks one of the best matches in the 50 years of WWE history doesn't deserve a place? What a berk.

I think Fin just covers WWE because he has to. He'd much rather just write about random charisma-less Japs and indy knobs chopping and kicking eachother while he furiously masturbates.

As for the rest of the list, I don't watch Japanese wrestling at all, but surely with his magazine being targeted to more mainstream-viewing customers, the list is more a way of him showing off that he knows who these guys are, rather than whether they genuinely had a better year than Bryan or Punk etc

To be fair to Fapper Fin on one thing, New Japan has had a blinder of a 2013. Can't really comment on anything else though since New Japan is the only Japanese promotion I watch with any consistency these days.

"Consistent quality of matches in the period 2006-present was the main criteria..."

I guess its the old analogy of if a tree falls in the woods and no ones there, does it make a sound?

The matches cant be that good if no one actually watches them. If they were that great then ROH and other flippity floppity/potato each other for $15 promotions would have prospered with him aboard?

I remember Al Snow being mad when people said Savage/Steamboat was the best match at mania 3. His argument was that hogan/Andre was as it was the one people cared about and paid to see. Wrestling is a business after all. Thats why Ricochet has never been on the cover of PS or FSM. Not saying Al is right or wrong, but its an interesting take on it.

"Consistent quality of matches in the period 2006-present was the main criteria..."

I guess its the old analogy of if a tree falls in the woods and no ones there, does it make a sound?

To me, it doesn't, but I can understand people finding a match great even if it was held in front of four people and filmed on a mobile phone. Depends on what someone enjoys about their wrestling.

The bit I take issue with is purely that they mentioned performance on the big stage being one of the criteria, and then had a bloke from the minor leagues up near the top of the list. It's like making a list of best serial killers, saying "the main criteria is curly hair" and putting Fred West at number four, which is fair enough unless the other criteria includes "not burying your victims in and around your own house." Because if that's even part of the judging conversation, then Fred's out of the running for the top ten.

The bit I take issue with is purely that they mentioned performance on the big stage being one of the criteria, and then had a bloke from the minor leagues up near the top of the list.

The belief of the FSM staff was that his performances were so outstanding in ROH, PWG etc that such a high placing was still warranted. Your mileage may vary!

• Paid Members

Well obviously. It said 2006-onwards. Brian did a podcast with Alan4L and they at least went a way to explaining the list. Even if you disagree, they at least present enough opinion to make you go "fair enough". Which Power Slam never does. And the people who compiled the FSM aren't dicks. They've seen a shit load of wrestling from all over the world and never bury WWE for the sake of it. Alan's Dr Keith Podcast is dedicated to the stuff he likes to talk about, and not the stuff he hates. So its not a "Jonny Storm drove in a car with me to Butlins, put him at number 20". They give a good argument. Its all opinion, and if you can give a good argument then fair enough.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay