The lets all point and laugh at Fin Martin thread

• Paid Members
Can anybody point me in the direction of some threads where C-rock has given reasons as to why John Cena isn't very good? The man has been involved in many excellent matches, so it doesn't really make any sense.

You could just click on his profile and hit "see users posts" and you'll find a bunch of them. However, before you do, can I recommend some alternative reads?

* Andy Townsend's top 100 football insights

* How to write gritty TV by Carla Lane

* 1001 Great Violin Bridges

* The Female Eunuch Vol 2 by Mick Foley

* Jimmy Saville's Untouched Yorkshire

* The life and times of the Heavenly Bodies

• Moderators
* The life and times of the Heavenly Bodies

That'd be an amazing read. Stan Lane, Bobby Eaton, Dr Tom, Gigolo, Pre-shit Cornette...

Power Slam is still the premiere wrestling magazine to me. I value its opinions more than FSM, and a bit of an odd compliment, but I rate the print. As in the physical paper. Photos look nicer in it in my opinion compared to a whole host of other non wrestling magazines.

You value it's opinions more? It's only really Fin these days isn't it, and I don't think his opinions are of any real value anymore to be honest. I trust a Lister or Bixenspan in FSM over a Fin Martin anyway.

Yeah it's been mostly Fin for about 5 years now, maybe more. Each to their own, but I like his writing style. Even when I don't agree with his opinions, I appreciate that they aren't wishy washy opinions and he explains his reasoning. I've read whole books by authors (non wrestling) where I don't agree with their position, but regardless respect it and can understand where thy are coming from.

• Paid Members
I'm not a mark and I don't take WWE and wrestling in general as seriously and as passionatly as many others obviously do on here.

You may not be a mark, but you are a twat, and your constant refrain of "you all take it so seriously, I don't, I'm right smart and clued in, I am" is so fucking boring.

Yeah it's been mostly Fin for about 5 years now, maybe more. Each to their own, but I like his writing style. Even when I don't agree with his opinions, I appreciate that they aren't wishy washy opinions and he explains his reasoning. I've read whole books by authors (non wrestling) where I don't agree with their position, but regardless respect it and can understand where thy are coming from.

I really like Powerslam for these reasons and more so recently - I hope it continues for years to come.

Edited by twelve_grand

I'm not a mark and I don't take WWE and wrestling in general as seriously and as passionatly as many others obviously do on here.

You may not be a mark, but you are a twat, and your constant refrain of "you all take it so seriously, I don't, I'm right smart and clued in, I am" is so fucking boring.

The idea of people inside wrestling with the "I'm smart to the biz, my opinions just coincidentally happen to be shared by every other 13 year old idiot on the internet, Cena sux, bring back the attitude era NEEDZ BLOOD N TITZ" mindset is depressing. There's never ever going to be a real second promotion, is there?

I think some of the things Fin says are valid. Cenas selling is atrocious at times and it seems like he has no idea what he's doing in that regard. Plus the superman comebacks are stupid when analysed. His promos, excellent delivery aside, are usually horrible but, although Cena has the power to veto some of the shit he is asked to say, that's not totally his fault.

BUT, and this is what Fin can't seem to grasp, the things above don't really matter. They're things that don't correspond to the old way of structuring matches and telling a story and It's different but it doesn't mean it doesn't work. A lot of his matches are very exciting. They may not be as structured and intricate as, say, a Bret Hart match...but he's not trying to do that, nor is he capable. I'm pretty sure John knows his strengths and weaknesses. It's a different style that does produce good matches, despite the negative reactions and criticism.

It's as if Fin decided what type of wrestling he liked a long time ago and if it doesn't fit into one of those categories then it's bad. Does selling the left ankle for only half the match really matter? Does using a DDT as a transitional move really bring the match down? Do that many people see the shitty STF and turn the TV off because it makes wrestling seem fake? Of course not. They're small complaints that don't make any difference to 99.95% of the audience.

Brock Lesnar being in the 50 based on two good matches and Cena being excluded again is funny though. It's a total troll move and he knows it!!

You could make a cracking Best of Johm Cena set. I understand why some criticise his wrestling - he's not aesthetically pleasing. He doesn't do some of the basics right. His STF isn't tight (and I do think that could do with tightening up, though I wonder if he's conscious of it looking too violent for his character - in which case, it'd have been an idea to ditch it ages ago). His footwork is ugly. But he's also had great matches with a wide variety of wrestlers based off of his character, the dynamic he can play off of with it, and the story he can tell. You could make a cracking Best of John Cena set, and that's my response to people saying he's shit. Great matches with Mysterio, JBL, Bryan, Punk, Umaga, Michaels, Edge, Cesaro and so and so forth.