The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

MK lost all its charm when it went CG (except Shaolin Monks). It was designed for button mashing. Every character plays exactly the same. As soon as you learn a character's special moves, that's all you do. The run button removed whatever remaining think time you had, and the combos made normal moves special moves. Genius. Once they went CG, and tried to make it a legit martial arts fighter, it all got tedious, over designed in both gameplay and character design, and the Fatalities got uncomfortably gratuitous and humourless. Ripping out a cartoon spine in less than 24 fps with juddering sprites and hero poses? Lol. Ripping out a spine in grisly, hi def closeup, with each movement, crunch and twist lingered on in agonising, horrific detail? Ick, no thanks.

4 hours ago, westlondonmist said:

Has anybody played MK Mythologies, I didn't play it as apparently it was hard as fuck. The fmv is fantastic though.

I had precisely one go on it. That was enough.

If you're going to have enemies approaching from both sides, requiring a special button press to turn around before you can defend yourself (because "back" is part of designated move inputs) is not ideal.

6 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Are you sure it was Fighters Destiny? Not Art of Fighting or something?

Fighters Destiny was definitely only on N64 and nothing like Street Fighter, it's more about throws and knock-downs and scoring points from them. I don't think it has a projectile attack.

Yeah you're right, it's Fighters History I'm thinking of. 

3 hours ago, CavemanLynn said:

MK lost all its charm when it went CG (except Shaolin Monks). It was designed for button mashing. Every character plays exactly the same. As soon as you learn a character's special moves, that's all you do. The run button removed whatever remaining think time you had, and the combos made normal moves special moves. Genius. Once they went CG, and tried to make it a legit martial arts fighter, it all got tedious, over designed in both gameplay and character design, and the Fatalities got uncomfortably gratuitous and humourless. Ripping out a cartoon spine in less than 24 fps with juddering sprites and hero poses? Lol. Ripping out a spine in grisly, hi def closeup, with each movement, crunch and twist lingered on in agonising, horrific detail? Ick, no thanks.

I can understand why you would feel it lost its charm. But they had to change as previously SF was the only real competition (unless you had a Neo Geo) , once Tekken, Soul Blade and Toshinden were about then they had to evolve. I do think MK 11 is an awesome game, quite easy to pick up and learn. It is far to gratuitous though and a bit of humour would improve it. 

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, westlondonmist said:

Has anybody played MK Mythologies, I didn't play it as apparently it was hard as fuck. The fmv is fantastic though. I wish MK 4 had that and they switched to polygons for a 5th installments. 

I've not played it, it is on my kit but never given it a go, but Matt McMuscles has an interesting retrospective on it and MK Special Forces. 

I really enjoyed the PS2 era MK games, DA & Deception especially. They were different enough from 1 - 3 (I missed 4) to feel fresh and played fun for pick up and play but still kept enough MK feel. 

1 minute ago, FelatioLips said:

Spent hours the last couple days playing SimCity SNES and I booted it up this morning and my save is gone. Heartbreak.

My condolences, that’s a terrible thing to happen. I really thought I was going to get a megalopolis on my last save, until I passed 250,000 and nothing changed. Looked it up and it’s 500,000! 

• Paid Members
41 minutes ago, hallicks said:

My condolences, that’s a terrible thing to happen. I really thought I was going to get a megalopolis on my last save, until I passed 250,000 and nothing changed. Looked it up and it’s 500,000! 

I was at around 130,000 and based on my land size had no chance of a Megalopolis anyway!

My main issue was for some reason thinking spreading the industrial zones between the city would be better for pollution than just builing them all away from the city. Had a lot of pollution complaints when I had my factories next to my zoo.

Just tried the San Francisco Earthquake Scenario and lasted 3 years before getting the sack. Even putting my taxes up to 10% wasn’t enough to fully fund everything and stop all my transport lines crumbling.

• Paid Members

Taito are celebrating their 70th anniversary this year. I wonder whether there'll be a new compilation from them or something. 

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2023/01/taito-corporation-preparing-for-70th-anniversary-celebrations-in-2023

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Taito are celebrating their 70th anniversary this year. I wonder whether there'll be a new compilation from them or something. 

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2023/01/taito-corporation-preparing-for-70th-anniversary-celebrations-in-2023

Grew up on Bubble Bobble and Parasol Stars on the NES so will always have a soft spot for Taito. In slightly later days Toki and Bust-a-Move were great too. 

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

Grew up on Bubble Bobble and Parasol Stars on the NES so will always have a soft spot for Taito. In slightly later days Toki and Bust-a-Move were great too. 

My friend and I finished that Arcade Archives Bubble Bobble on PS4 when he was over once. We didn't manage to get the proper ending as getting through the main part of the game was difficult enough. Without tinkering with DIP switches I don't know whether it'd be possible to get the levels done without dying to be able to get the real ending. 

I saw a Taito Milestones collection advertised, but it doesn't have the greatest of lineups on it. It had QIX, Elevator Action and The Ninja Warriors on, and I can see why some of the other games are one there, but it could do with Bubble Bobble, New Zealand Story and a few others on there. 

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-Switch-games/TAITO-Milestones-2181768.html