The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

57 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

As long as they sort the controls out I don't care if they all look like red dwarfs kyryten. Going back and trying to play it now was frustrating being so accustomed to modern standard 2 stick control. 

Do you mean about having to use the C buttons for looking up and down and such. I hadn’t even thought about how that might work on a modern controller. 

• Paid Members

I don't think they will have any nrw/improved controls on Switch. Does it use the right analogue stick for the camera buttons? That might be bearable. 

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, hallicks said:

Do you mean about having to use the C buttons for looking up and down and such. I hadn’t even thought about how that might work on a modern controller. 

Yeah, map walking looking and strafing into two sticks like modern FPS games or it's just going to feel a pain.

On 1/25/2023 at 9:40 PM, Tommy! said:

Yeah, map walking looking and strafing into two sticks like modern FPS games or it's just going to feel a pain.

Gave it a whirl earlier. The right stick is mapped to the C buttons so I *think* this is what you’re after. I found it very hard to get to grips with the controls though, maybe I’m just out of practice? The trigger being on ZL feels so intrinsically wrong to me when playing this game. Also I got stuck kneeling down at one point. 26 minutes and change to complete Dam on 00 agent, not a great time, but I was paranoid about all those lads in the downstairs tunnels so I went the whole way back to clear it out and it goes on for miles. 

• 2 weeks later...

So Switch online has now got GB and GBC (9 games in total) and expansion has GBA (not checked games yet but think it is 6). Wow Super Mario land 2 is awesome. Never played it before but got hooked tonight. The game play is smooth, graphics look great, world design is awesome (completed Mario and Pumpkin zone). It's up there with Mario World for me.

Completed Mario Land 2, its not really that difficult apart from a few levels. The final castle had a few ball ache sections but the bosses are fairly simple. It was great fun and I think it's amazing what they could do on the game boy. Obviously lots of love and effort went into the game. It's a shame they didn't put Mario land up to compare, as that is completely different. 

Started Wario land 3 but to be honest I'm not enjoying it and not all that sure what I'm supposed to be doing. 

On GBA I'm playing Mario Kart, and it's essentially Mario Kart 2 despite being the 3rd one. As a fan of the original Mario Kart I'm enjoying it. 

• Paid Members

Had Spotify on shuffle and it randomly played 'Mouth For War' by Pantera, which reminded me of a secret level in the original Doom where the sound designers made a copy of it. I then found a Doom inspirations playlist on Spotify and then did some further digging. Some of them you'll notice immediately, others you'll notice certain rifts from certain parts. A fun stroll down memory lane. Below are links to the Doom Wiki list which covers the different tracks, and then below that is a link to the playlist on Spotify itself. Some classics in there. Woof. 

Wiki list: https://doom.fandom.com/wiki/Doom_music

Spotify playlist: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1n01QjMj15Rw8bCJNUTVsL?si=046de87e35804014