The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

• Paid Members

Natsume Championship Wrestling on the SNES was an interesting one. It was an All Japan game in Japan, but for the international release the characters were all made into "similar to, but legally distinct from" versions of themselves. Vader was in it, Giant Baba (obviously) Miracle Violence Connection, Johnny Ace. It was one of those like Fire Pro where you could work the matches with a friend as well. It's available as part of Switch Online. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natsume_Championship_Wrestling

Edited by jazzygeofferz

21 hours ago, gmoney said:

Ha, fuck me I didn't know SF2 was on the Spectrum. I bet that took hours to load. I'm a big fan of squeezing games onto consoles they're too advanced for. Mortal Kombat 3 came out on the Master System in Brazil! 

There was a disclaimer at the start which basically said due to the hardware limitations the game is going to be nothing like what you play in the arcades etc.

• Paid Members

The only wrestling game I played pre-PS1 was Wrestlemania The Arcade Game, and actually in an arcade. There was a lot of crossover for me between first getting into WWF and Mortal Kombat coming out, because the way Mortal Kombat used "real" people in the game had kid me convinced that they were actually super bad-ass martial artists enlisted for the game, and the WWF felt like an extension of that, so a WWF game with the same kind of motion capture graphics was a big sell for me. I find it practically unplayable now.

I've gone back and played a lot of them since, but it's difficult to get into them with no sense of nostalgia for the first time around. Wrestlefest holds up, but most don't. There's a pub near London Bridge with an arcade cabinet with Superstars on it, which is quite fun to play with mates, especially when you're not having to keep putting coins into it every time you get eliminated.

I did own a copy of Cutie Suzuki's Ringside Angel for a while, but likewise found it incomprehensible.

There's a weird AJPW game, that has super-cutesy almost JRPG graphics, board game mechanics, and then the actual matches are all done with card games. I couldn't make any sense of it. I think the final boss is a robot Giant Baba.

• Paid Members
On 4/3/2023 at 3:29 PM, Merzbow said:

Was it a Tiertex game? *shudders"

It looks nice with chunky sprites and detailed backgrounds. It doesn't run great, and sounds even worse. Still better than the C64 version. 

https://youtu.be/7HkwEdW6x6Y

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Dead Mike said:

I guess this goes in here @FelatioLips Anything to do with you? 

Screenshot_20230411_080238_Facebook.thumb.jpg.9567a6d24da2d0256ddf0a29eeb8d21e.jpg

Sorry you must have me confused with someone else! 
I have been to NERG though and it was decent if you wanted to play proper arcade cabinets but in terms of buying games and merch everything was highly marked up as you would expect.

• Paid Members
On 4/5/2023 at 11:21 AM, BomberPat said:

There's a pub near London Bridge with an arcade cabinet with Superstars on it, which is quite fun to play with mates, especially when you're not having to keep putting coins into it every time you get eliminated.

Where's this pub, please?

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Chris B said:

Where's this pub, please?

The Rose, only about a five minute walk from the station. It has one arcade cabinet, usually set up for Street Fighter 2, but it has hundreds of games on it if you exit to the menu. All free, too.

I have an irrational hatred of arcade cabinets that aren't original and have multiple games on them. No idea why. I'd rather find a shit battered up cabinet somewhere in the back of a Blackpool B&B that has a single game on it. I can't give you a reason why. Some weird feeling of authenticity.