The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

It's wild that they wanted £35 for that Taito Milestones originally when you can get the Atari 50 collection for the same price.

I've got the first Taito Legends on PS2 still, which is a brilliant collection. I think there was a second volume released. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taito_Legends

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taito_Legends_2

8 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I've got the first Taito Legends on PS2 still, which is a brilliant collection. I think there was a second volume released. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taito_Legends

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taito_Legends_2

They were pretty ace but it was shocking with how little content some compilations had back then for a full retail price, SNK were bad for putting just 3 or 4 games on a collection.

• Paid Members
Just now, Merzbow said:

They were pretty ace but it was shocking with how little content some compilations had back then for a full retail price, SNK were bad for putting just 3 or 4 games on a collection.

I've got a few of them as well, particularly the King Of Fighters ones on PS2, as well as the Art Of Fighting, Fatal Fury and World Heroes Anthologies. Ive also got the old SNK arcade collection on PSP, and the PS2 Metal Slug Anthology on PS4. Also the newest Samurai Shodown collection. There's that 40th anniversary collection that came out recently, but I'd probably only ever play Street Smart and I'm not paying £35 for Street Smart. 

2 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Taito are celebrating their 70th anniversary this year.

Is Rainbow Islands on any current/last gen platform? Loved it on the Amiga.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Uncle Zeb said:

Is Rainbow Islands on any current/last gen platform? Loved it on the Amiga.

I don't think there has been since the PS2/XBox Legends collection. Possibly because of the music licensing issues. There's a version here, though. https://archive.org/details/arcade_rbisland

• Paid Members

I was looking for apps on my Amazon Firestick over Christmas and found an emulator called Happy Chick, which given that the last console I bought was an Xbox 360, seems to be a game changer.

The firestick seems to be able to handle N64/Dreamcast games just fine and its compatible with any bluetooth gamepad, so I’ve been playing old Snes games to my heart’s content.

Still shite at Super Mario World mind…

Edited by garynysmon

• 2 weeks later...

Got Evercade Gremlin cart, not played much. Actua Soccer is a bit strange. Its kind of fun and at the time it was a big move from your sensible soccer type game but Sensible is better (on Codemasters cart). 

Zool, well this is fucking hard as it just has too many cheap deaths. It's far too fast too so you never go through every section of a level. It's a shame as even with the beautiful art design you miss parts and can't appreciate it. I really want to like it as it can be fun but it's annoyed me too. 

There is a game boy puzzler called brain bender which is based on lasers and mirrors. It's good fun. 

Games yet to try are Utopia, which I'm really looking forward to, Monster 4x4 a ps racer and Premier manager 97.

• Paid Members

I remember playing a lot of Actua Soccer 2 on PC as Iceland. Barry Davies excitedly  screaming "Siggi Jonssen!" every time my attacking midfielder loosed a shot from the sweet spot just outside the box is etched into my memory. 

1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

That's such an odd mixture of games, I'm guessing Actua Soccer is the PS1 version? I'm surprised they didn't do an Actua Pack with Tennis, Golf and Pool etc.

I think it's a good mixture to be honest, which is hard to get with only 6 games. It is PS1, the only cart to have 2 PS1 games (only 5 on the system so far). I think an all sports cart would be great fun but would limit sales. Piko 2 is all sports and racing except Soccer Kid and plenty didn't bother although I think it's a decent cart. Bitmap brothers has 5 games and 3 of them are Speedball, even with Chaos Engine it's a gash cart. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just so no one's caught out: the Switch version is part of the higher-tier online subscription and is the original N64 game with online multiplayer, the Xbox version is part of Game Pass and is somewhat tarted up but with no online multiplayer.

Edit: As far as I know you can't buy either version separately, but if you have Rare Replay on Xbox your copy of GoldenEye on that compilation will be upgraded for free.

Edited by Uncle Zeb

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, CleetusVanDamme said:

Looks super ugly. Shame we didn't get the old canned XBLA port instead.

As long as they sort the controls out I don't care if they all look like red dwarfs kyryten. Going back and trying to play it now was frustrating being so accustomed to modern standard 2 stick control.