The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, RalphyV2 said:

Never had a SNES, but had a MD, and loved Aladdin! I do recall watching a few things on gaming and generally, Sega allowed more violence and blood than Nintendo, right? seemed that way 

Nintendo censored blood and violence. Mortal kombat released on snes and mega drive. Most people considered the snes version had the better graphics but the uncensored mega drive version outsold them by 4-to-1.

... They released Mortal Kombat 2 uncensored. 

48 minutes ago, chokeout said:

Nintendo censored blood and violence. Mortal kombat released on snes and mega drive. Most people considered the snes version had the better graphics but the uncensored mega drive version outsold them by 4-to-1.

... They released Mortal Kombat 2 uncensored. 

I remember that, grey sweat instead of blood and the fatalities toned down. 

6 minutes ago, chokeout said:

Yep. I don't think they recorded any new animations so sub zeros fatality was just a punch while they stood there. 

He freezes them then smashes them to pieces. Jonny Cage ended up just doing a super kick andLiu Kang a spinning kick.  I think only Scorpion, Sonya Blade and Rayden had decent fatalities. 

• Paid Members
22 hours ago, RedRooster said:

I received a 32X. I’ve always wanted to play Knuckles Chaotix, but haven’t had the chance. That’s still going to be the case given how much people are selling it for on eBay, bloody hell. 

The 32X version of Virtua Racing is a really good port as well. The Saturn version is really weird as it has so many other features, but the 32X version takes the arcade version and builds on it a little. There are a couple of extra tracks and two extra cars to choose from: the stock car, which is slower, but handles better, and the prototype car which is faster, but at the cost of handling. I played it loads. Star Wars Arcade is a good one as well. 

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, westlondonmist said:

Never heard of that game, was it any good? I do like the stage relevant fatalities rather than character based, although mortal kombat had a couple. 

To this day Eternal Champions has one of my favourite video game plots of all time.

Basically the titular “Eternal Champion”, a cool as fuck glowing guy pulls a bunch of people from different periods of time, all of them on the brink of dying before they’re meant to. They’re made to fight in a tournament to the death with the winner being sent back just in time to prevent their deaths.

A 1930s Chicago Gangster double crossed into blowing up a hospital, a Ninja from the Yakuza thrown from a building for trying to leave, a cyborg kickboxer who refuses to throw a fight and has his cybernetics shut down. The roster is wild. There’s wizards, vampires, cavemen, bounty hunters, but they’re all really well designed and none of them come across as goofy.

The graphics are ace, the soundtrack is one of the best on the Mega Drive, and the fatalities are really well done for the most part and easier to do as you only need to knock your opponent into certain parts of the stage with the final hit. Has a really cool thing too where random characters break the SEGA logo on bootup. I used to reset it to see them all!

The gameplay is where the game is let down. It’s not awful by any means but a bit complicated compared to SF or MK. Special moves are done by holding the inputs and then they activate on release. You have a little energy meter that spends when you do a move so specials can’t be spammed.

With a more intuitive control system it would probably still be talked about in a more positive light. For me the positives well outweigh the negatives though.

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, westlondonmist said:

I looked it up and saw there was a mega CD sequel, I had to watch a video and the fatalities are far gorier and you also have the cine kills which look wicked. 

The Sega CD version has improved gameplay and a bigger roster, plus all the added kills. Soundtrack isn’t as good though even though it’s CD.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, RalphyV2 said:

I just remember enjoying the game a lot, and having fun with it, and wishing i had a 6 button controller 

Trident was my fav

I liked Xavier! Thought it was the coolest name when I was like 8.

The only game I can think of off the top of my head that had a better redbook ost @Merzbowis Earthworm Jim. Terminator CD was great too but unfair to compare to the MD ost as it was totally different. I like both!

EDIT:
Seems the Mega Drive Aladdin is the choice in Teesside as it’s recently been grafitti’d onto a Grade II listed building in Middlesbrough.

B90E6200-0C3A-4880-AD11-F72BF054C5D0.jpeg.bcc2e1e349b349c43c2e2b90f1a6bcb4.jpeg

Edited by FelatioLips

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, westlondonmist said:

That needs to be on Switch online ASAP. That looks absolutely great fun. I don't care if the game play isn't superb, I just love 90s fighters (even Clayfighter). 

If memory serves it's something of an unbalanced mess, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was a hack on Fightcade with everything fixed.