The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

If memory serves it's something of an unbalanced mess, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was a hack on Fightcade with everything fixed. 

Yeah that’s something I forgot to mention, the AI difficulty is absurd. I never got past maybe the 2nd or 3rd fight. Balance issues galore.

There’s a great Practice mode though, that was well ahead of it’s time and full of bells and whistles. 

Also i’m doubling down on this intro and plot. Look at it. It’s fantastic.

In non-Eternal Champions news I completed Super Mario World. Still a brilliant game and up there as arguably still the best 2D Mario.

Been hammering Super Ghouls and Ghosts and still only as far as Stage 3. I know the first level inside out now and still get blindsided by zombies and lose my full armour. Brutal. 
It’s a real shame the 2nd level is a dull and slow autoscroller or it would be almost impossible to put down. 

On World 4 on Yoshi’s Island and still don’t get the hype. Not as good as Super Mario World. Music and presentation is second to none but the fast and loose controls, the screaming baby and the insane difficulty spike come World 3 onwards really drags it down for me. The Checkpoints are punishing too for a game that encourages slow exploration. I think the new Yoshi games get it about right compared to this.

5 hours ago, FelatioLips said:

Yeah that’s something I forgot to mention, the AI difficulty is absurd. I never got past maybe the 2nd or 3rd fight. Balance issues galore.

There’s a great Practice mode though, that was well ahead of it’s time and full of bells and whistles. 

Also i’m doubling down on this intro and plot. Look at it. It’s fantastic.

In non-Eternal Champions news I completed Super Mario World. Still a brilliant game and up there as arguably still the best 2D Mario.

Been hammering Super Ghouls and Ghosts and still only as far as Stage 3. I know the first level inside out now and still get blindsided by zombies and lose my full armour. Brutal. 
It’s a real shame the 2nd level is a dull and slow autoscroller or it would be almost impossible to put down. 

On World 4 on Yoshi’s Island and still don’t get the hype. Not as good as Super Mario World. Music and presentation is second to none but the fast and loose controls, the screaming baby and the insane difficulty spike come World 3 onwards really drags it down for me. The Checkpoints are punishing too for a game that encourages slow exploration. I think the new Yoshi games get it about right compared to this.

Yoshis Island, in my opinion, is awful. Felt like a let down back in the 90s, tried again recently and it's still bad. The other Super Mario games prior were all better and age really well, although lost levels is too hard. Super Mario world was ahead of its time, so was 3 too. 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, westlondonmist said:

Yoshis Island, in my opinion, is awful. Felt like a let down back in the 90s, tried again recently and it's still bad. The other Super Mario games prior were all better and age really well, although lost levels is too hard. Super Mario world was ahead of its time, so was 3 too. 

I wouldn't go as far as to call it awful personally as I can see merit in the sound and graphics, but the controls alone drag is so far back in quality. I think the fairest thing I can say about it is it gets a huge pass because it's a Mario game. If this was unbranded it would maybe be a cult hit at best and likely forgotten. Certainly wouldn't be held up in the regard it is.

Having recently played Aladdin, and currently playing Buster Busts Loose, I would say they are both more enjoyable as platformers.

32 minutes ago, westlondonmist said:

While I wouldn’t go as far as to call it awful, I’ve never really gelled with a Yoshi platform game; and I say that as someone who pretty much enjoys anything Nintendo publishes. This extends right up to the recent Woolly World game, they always strike me as, at best, mediocre platform games.

39 minutes ago, westlondonmist said:

I was just chatting with a friend, he has an Eternal Champions panini sticker album! 

Imagine turning up at school with that, full of optimism that you're equipped for the next big frenzy of got-got-NEED.

Like me with my Undertaker-covered WWF album in Year 8. 😑

• Paid Members

I had the Street Fighter 2 sticker album as a kid. I bet I've put more time into that gaming franchise than most people have put into some JRPGs. I'm not very good at it, but I enjoy playing them. 

That one I had, and it got about twelve spaces filled because no other fucker in the county was playing along. You really took your chances as an early adopter in the sticker game.

I had the Street Fighter 2 soundtrack on CD as a kid and played it all the time, I can't remember how I had it as it was from a Nintendo magazine and I never owned a Nintendo until the 64.

I had the misunderstood Mega Drive game, it was great but little differences put people off it.

spacer.png

I've just ordered an N64 from CEX. As well as the console, I've ordered Goldeneye, Star Wars: Shadow of the Empire, WWF NO Mercy and WCW Vs. NWO: Revenge. That last one I accidently ordered instead of World Tour. 

I need recommendations as to what other games I should be looking out for? Is the expansion Pak worth buying? 

• Paid Members
Just now, 5pints 2.0 said:

I've just ordered an N64 from CEX. As well as the console, I've ordered Goldeneye, Star Wars: Shadow of the Empire, WWF NO Mercy and WCW Vs. NWO: Revenge. That last one I accidently ordered instead of World Tour. 

I need recommendations as to what other games I should be looking out for? Is the expansion Pak worth buying? 

Blast Corps is a cracking game no one talks about. Very underrated. The Zelda Games, Mario Kart 64 and Starwing 64. Also Conkers Bad Fur Day.

22 minutes ago, 5pints 2.0 said:

Banjo Kazooie. Best game on it.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, 5pints 2.0 said:

Not unless you plan on playing Donkey Kong 64 (play the Banjo games instead) or The Legend of Zelda Majora’s Mask. I think one or two other games may benefit from it too.

Pokemon Puzzle League is great if you liked Tetris Attack on the SNES. Basically the same game but with Pokemon instead of Yoshi.

TLoZ Ocarina of Time is outstanding and I believe anyone with an N64 needs to at least try it.

Super Mario 64's a phenomenal game if you can put on your 1996 goggles and judge both its graphics and controls by the nonexistent standards of the era.

And at the risk of a pile-on from purists, I'll put a word in for Mortal Kombat 4 if you haven't played it. Especially if you're a fan of the series. Boulders scattered on the ground that can be lobbed at your opponent are a unique addition, and the voice acted cutscenes are hilarious for the wrong reasons.

Sorry if this has been posted before - probably by me! - but I go through phases of being absolutely blown away by https://archive.org/ and I've been killing time by reading old Nintendo and Dreamcast magazines on there.

It's a really great site if you have some time to search and look through stuff. A lot of old promos, magazines, games etc.