The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

• Paid Members

If I was buying boxed retro I’d 100% want to check in person. The price difference from unboxed to boxed can be huge and I’d be livid if I ordered a boxed game for extra and it came absolutely walloped.

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, Merzbow said:

I had the Street Fighter 2 soundtrack on CD as a kid and played it all the time, I can't remember how I had it as it was from a Nintendo magazine and I never owned a Nintendo until the 64.

I had the misunderstood Mega Drive game, it was great but little differences put people off it.

spacer.png

The prototype had much better sound quality, and looked better as well. The first home version I had was the Amiga one and it was dreadful, but it was the only way I could play it at home.

I had the Special Champion Edition in Megadrive, and it was a touch frustrating only being able to use the 3 button controller, but picked up an actual Sega 6 button pad, and a really weird third party controller where the d-pad wasn't quite straight. 

I also remember begging my mum to let me pay the £60 in Dixons for a copy of Super Street Fighter 2 when I was I think 15? She asked me whether I'd play it, and I still own it today. I've also got a little arcade stick that's compatible with SNES and Megadrive that I like to use. 

13 hours ago, Uncle Zeb said:

Super Mario 64's a phenomenal game if you can put on your 1996 goggles and judge both its graphics and controls by the nonexistent standards of the era.

And at the risk of a pile-on from purists, I'll put a word in for Mortal Kombat 4 if you haven't played it. Especially if you're a fan of the series. Boulders scattered on the ground that can be lobbed at your opponent are a unique addition, and the voice acted cutscenes are hilarious for the wrong reasons.

I love MK 4, I had it on PS where it had better cut scenes although N64 had better graphics and loading times although the graphics aren't much better. The best version is Gold which is on Dreamcast. 

I personally think for N64 everyone should give 1080 and Wave Race 64 a go. 

52 minutes ago, westlondonmist said:

The best version is Gold which is on Dreamcast.

I thought MK Gold had a reputation for being quite buggy, or is that just on a particular console?

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, westlondonmist said:

I love MK 4, I had it on PS where it had better cut scenes although N64 had better graphics and loading times although the graphics aren't much better. The best version is Gold which is on Dreamcast. 

I personally think for N64 everyone should give 1080 and Wave Race 64 a go. 

1080 is a lot of fun. We played it a lot in uni. I enjoyed Perfect Dark as well. 

• Paid Members

I had Mortal Kombat 4 on the PS1 and going from Mortal Kombat 3 (not even Ultimate!) on the Mega Drive to that was truly impressive. Was it a great fighting game? Not at all, but I was a kid and who cares cos you can throw stuff, have weapons and it was 3D!

It was immediately trumped the second I played Mortal Kombat Trilogy though even though that came out first I believe. The size of that roster! And it had the easiest cheat in it for one button fatalities so you got to see everything. It’s a shame when Mortal Kombat Armageddon came out it was before MK got good again.

Fighters Destiny was decent on the 64, it had a gimmicky UWFi like points system and felt a bit more technical like a Virtua Fighter.

Looked like shit though, with compared to many PS1 fighters.

MK Trilogy was great, totally unbalanced but as I kid I didn't know shit about that. I just liked playing on the easiest setting and killing people, I've never been able to get good at Mortal Kombat.

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members

I’d argue the actual mechanics of Mortal Kombat never got actually good until 9, which is a testament to how good the gimmick was. Escpecially the PS2 era stuff, that was dog rough.

MK Trilogy was the first game I had on ps, along with Adidas power soccer (tournament or International edition). It was completely different to 4, probably a better game but not as fun for a 12/13 year old. 

I've played the original Fighters Destiny on Super Nes and I'm not a fan. It has decent mechanics and what not but the characters are all Street Fighter knock offs and it is vastly inferior to Street Fighter. 

Has anybody played MK Mythologies, I didn't play it as apparently it was hard as fuck. The fmv is fantastic though. I wish MK 4 had that and they switched to polygons for a 5th installments.