The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Merzbow said:

This is where I come in and say the PS1 soundtrack was better, the best port of Doom.

I've always been massively pro-PS1 Doom. It's almost more of a score rather than a soundtrack. The whole thing is just so haunting and menacing - it brings a totally new dimension to the horror aspect of the game. 

I’ve started replaying the original Sonic games on the Mega Drive. I’ve known the PAL games were a notch slower for some time, but I’d not really noticed it for some reason. This time, though? Everything feels a bit off. I guess I’ve become used to the versions used for re-releases. I think I prefer the slower Green Hill Zone theme, though, even though the gameplay feels slightly odd. 

• Paid Members
Just now, RedRooster said:

I’ve started replaying the original Sonic games on the Mega Drive. I’ve known the PAL games were a notch slower for some time, but I’d not really noticed it for some reason. This time, though? Everything feels a bit off. I guess I’ve become used to the versions used for re-releases. I think I prefer the slower Green Hill Zone theme, though, even though the gameplay feels slightly odd. 

Is it not just Sonic 1 that’s like that? I don’t recall 2 onwards being slow.
There is some of it sounds better slower though, the Special Stage being one of them.

10 hours ago, FelatioLips said:

Is it not just Sonic 1 that’s like that? I don’t recall 2 onwards being slow.
There is some of it sounds better slower though, the Special Stage being one of them.

No, the music is faster in Sonic 2 - so that’s not an issue anymore - but the gameplay is still slower. 

The final boss theme in Sonic 1 is definitely better slowed down, it sounds far more menacing and epic.

EDIT: And Sonic 3 & Knuckles too, I’ve discovered - the music is sorted on an again, but the gameplay is slower. So I’m balancing the fact I can enjoy the original, superior soundtrack with the fact the gameplay is slower. 

Edited by RedRooster

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Any old farts have nostalgia for pre-PlayStation wrestling games? I know they're virtually unplayable now, but I've many happy memories of WWF games on the Mega Drive, and was reminded this evening of the ref walking off the job if you knocked him down too often:

Were you as absorbed as I was in these games until the N64 came along, or were such primitive efforts always beneath you?

• Paid Members

Home versions were always a bit hit and miss in those days. I remember playing Super WrestleMania on the SNES. My favourite has always been WWF Superstars in the Arcade. Produced by Technos, the same people that made Double Dragon.

Ocean made WWF WrestleMania for the 16bit machines. Which tried very hard to be WWF Superstars. Unfortunately it was a bit glitchy and I ended up taking it back to WH Smith. Can't remember what I exchanged it for. Possibly Super Skidmarks.

Edited by BigJag
Spelling.

As that era was my first real exposure to video games I didn't really know any better so I remember loving everything I got my hands on. At the time I played everything on my Game Boy and SNES to death. They're not ones I'd want to go back and play now, while I still get some fun out of the N64 ones, but yeah they were more than enough for me as a kid.

I hated pretty much all of them because of playing Superstars and WrestleFest in the arcades so much, they just couldn't live up to them. The one I did weirdly enjoy a whole lot was Wrestle War on the Megadrive, you could only be the one guy but it had those chunky arcade sprites and was good for a quick bash to get to Bootleg Hogan.

If only we got the Japanese cover, they obviously had to change it over here.

spacer.png

Edited by Merzbow

47 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

If only we got the Japanese cover, they obviously had to change it over here.

spacer.png

The ridiculous thing is, I'd have probably played it a lot more if we had!

It'd have sold a fuck more tonne of copies.

One awful game I had around that time was WrestleMania on the Amiga, I'm sure it was meant to be like Superstars but played nothing like it. It looked bloody nice for the time though.

Edit: somehow missed BigJag mention it, but yeah, it indeed sucked.

spacer.png

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members

I saw Superstars in some arcades. If memory serves you'd only pick one wrestler and get automatically assigned a partner? I like how the Megabucks were the final boss team. You could see a lot of the foundations of Wrestle fest being laid out there. 

Anybody remember the Royal Rumble game on Dreamcast?