Merzbow Posted February 12, 2023 Posted February 12, 2023 (edited) This is where I come in and say the PS1 soundtrack was better, the best port of Doom. But yeah they ripped off so many songs, but I never noticed they used The Cure?! Probably my fav song from the original game. Edited February 12, 2023 by Merzbow Quote
Paid Members Fatty Facesitter Posted February 12, 2023 Paid Members Posted February 12, 2023 11 hours ago, Merzbow said: This is where I come in and say the PS1 soundtrack was better, the best port of Doom. I've always been massively pro-PS1 Doom. It's almost more of a score rather than a soundtrack. The whole thing is just so haunting and menacing - it brings a totally new dimension to the horror aspect of the game. Quote
Merzbow Posted February 18, 2023 Posted February 18, 2023 Retro Revival are teasing a show in Kenilworth, seems to be a Zzap!64 based convention after the last Crash one in Walsall. I never owned a C64, but I've had a huge soft spot for that sound chip forever. I'll definitely be heading over for it. Quote
RedRooster Posted February 19, 2023 Posted February 19, 2023 I’ve started replaying the original Sonic games on the Mega Drive. I’ve known the PAL games were a notch slower for some time, but I’d not really noticed it for some reason. This time, though? Everything feels a bit off. I guess I’ve become used to the versions used for re-releases. I think I prefer the slower Green Hill Zone theme, though, even though the gameplay feels slightly odd. Quote
Paid Members FLips Posted February 19, 2023 Paid Members Posted February 19, 2023 Just now, RedRooster said: I’ve started replaying the original Sonic games on the Mega Drive. I’ve known the PAL games were a notch slower for some time, but I’d not really noticed it for some reason. This time, though? Everything feels a bit off. I guess I’ve become used to the versions used for re-releases. I think I prefer the slower Green Hill Zone theme, though, even though the gameplay feels slightly odd. Is it not just Sonic 1 that’s like that? I don’t recall 2 onwards being slow. There is some of it sounds better slower though, the Special Stage being one of them. Quote
RedRooster Posted February 19, 2023 Posted February 19, 2023 (edited) 10 hours ago, FelatioLips said: Is it not just Sonic 1 that’s like that? I don’t recall 2 onwards being slow. There is some of it sounds better slower though, the Special Stage being one of them. No, the music is faster in Sonic 2 - so that’s not an issue anymore - but the gameplay is still slower. The final boss theme in Sonic 1 is definitely better slowed down, it sounds far more menacing and epic. EDIT: And Sonic 3 & Knuckles too, I’ve discovered - the music is sorted on an again, but the gameplay is slower. So I’m balancing the fact I can enjoy the original, superior soundtrack with the fact the gameplay is slower. Edited February 20, 2023 by RedRooster Quote
Paid Members Jazzy G Posted February 20, 2023 Paid Members Posted February 20, 2023 I struggle with the Sonic games at 60Hz, it feels a little faster than I'm used to. Quote
Merzbow Posted March 16, 2023 Posted March 16, 2023 I know Ashens isn't always loved here but he's helping start a barcade in Norwich. Quote
Guest Posted April 1, 2023 Posted April 1, 2023 Any old farts have nostalgia for pre-PlayStation wrestling games? I know they're virtually unplayable now, but I've many happy memories of WWF games on the Mega Drive, and was reminded this evening of the ref walking off the job if you knocked him down too often: Were you as absorbed as I was in these games until the N64 came along, or were such primitive efforts always beneath you? Quote
Paid Members BigJag Posted April 2, 2023 Paid Members Posted April 2, 2023 (edited) Home versions were always a bit hit and miss in those days. I remember playing Super WrestleMania on the SNES. My favourite has always been WWF Superstars in the Arcade. Produced by Technos, the same people that made Double Dragon. Ocean made WWF WrestleMania for the 16bit machines. Which tried very hard to be WWF Superstars. Unfortunately it was a bit glitchy and I ended up taking it back to WH Smith. Can't remember what I exchanged it for. Possibly Super Skidmarks. Edited April 2, 2023 by BigJag Spelling. Quote
DavidB6937 Posted April 2, 2023 Posted April 2, 2023 As that era was my first real exposure to video games I didn't really know any better so I remember loving everything I got my hands on. At the time I played everything on my Game Boy and SNES to death. They're not ones I'd want to go back and play now, while I still get some fun out of the N64 ones, but yeah they were more than enough for me as a kid. Quote
Merzbow Posted April 2, 2023 Posted April 2, 2023 (edited) I hated pretty much all of them because of playing Superstars and WrestleFest in the arcades so much, they just couldn't live up to them. The one I did weirdly enjoy a whole lot was Wrestle War on the Megadrive, you could only be the one guy but it had those chunky arcade sprites and was good for a quick bash to get to Bootleg Hogan. If only we got the Japanese cover, they obviously had to change it over here. Edited April 2, 2023 by Merzbow Quote
Guest Posted April 2, 2023 Posted April 2, 2023 47 minutes ago, Merzbow said: If only we got the Japanese cover, they obviously had to change it over here. The ridiculous thing is, I'd have probably played it a lot more if we had! Quote
Merzbow Posted April 2, 2023 Posted April 2, 2023 (edited) It'd have sold a fuck more tonne of copies. One awful game I had around that time was WrestleMania on the Amiga, I'm sure it was meant to be like Superstars but played nothing like it. It looked bloody nice for the time though. Edit: somehow missed BigJag mention it, but yeah, it indeed sucked. Edited April 2, 2023 by Merzbow Quote
Paid Members Jazzy G Posted April 2, 2023 Paid Members Posted April 2, 2023 I saw Superstars in some arcades. If memory serves you'd only pick one wrestler and get automatically assigned a partner? I like how the Megabucks were the final boss team. You could see a lot of the foundations of Wrestle fest being laid out there. Anybody remember the Royal Rumble game on Dreamcast? Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.