The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

• Paid Members

My mate had WWF Super Wrestlemania on the Mega Drive and as someone who was just getting in to wrestling and borrowing tapes and that, it was great to see older wrestlers like Hogan, Warrior and IRS in a game because my Smackdown on PS1 didn’t have them.
I was impressed you could highlight a wrestler and their music would play, and the theme music was pretty catchy. After that though it went to shit. Game was awful.

34 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Anybody remember the Royal Rumble game on Dreamcast? 

I was playing that on my Steam Deck the other night actually. I still find it pretty fun just because it's a bit different but then I'm a whole for all things Dreamcast anyway. Especially the more arcade related stuff.

• Paid Members

I never had a wrestling game until the N64. In recent years wrestling nostalgia has compelled me to go back and play the various 16-bit era WWF games on emulators but I couldn't find a single one that was even remotely fun to play. As a kid I'd absolutely have persevered and probably loved them, but not now sadly.

Would love to see a modern day WWE game made in the retro style of the 16-bit era though. Hoped that RetroMania might scratch that itch, but it ended up looking pretty shit and the roster was rubbish.

I had a wrestling game on the spectrum where it would do a little interview before the match, and after you selected a response to the question you would have to press play on the tape and let the game load for another 5 minutes.  Can’t remember the name of it but I’m pretty sure Bulldog was in it.

I also had a Street Fighter 2 game where you had to re-load the game after every round. Mental considering where gaming has progressed to now!

I’ve got an old wwf watch from the early 90s which is Hogan vs Rude, and I think all you can do is either a kick or a punch, and that still kept me entertained for ages

• Paid Members

@jazzygeofferz

I'm pretty sure you could select both your characters on WWF Superstars. It is a tag team game. Where you'd select your team from the available characters and progress through a tournament until you met the Megabucks, Andre and Dibiase in the tournament final. Multiplayer player options were great fun. You and a friend could team up against upto two other friends and have a four player tag team match. Or 2 Vs 1. The victorious team would then progress in the tournament. The game is available on MAME and is definitely worth checking out.

WWF WrestleMania by Ocean tried to copy the look of WWF Superstars. I don't think they had the tag team element in WWF WrestleMania. 

WWF-Superstars-Arcade.png

Edited by BigJag

2 hours ago, Bicurious Dad said:

Both of Ocean’s WWF releases were utter dog shit, I remember trying to convince myself otherwise at the time but sadly they were garbage.

I played them because they were wrestling but I totally agree they were shite and I knew it as a child. I'd become disinterested in wrestling from about 94 until 99 and couldn't believe how wrestling games had somehow actually become decent. Even WCW vs the world was playable. 

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, TibBo said:

I also had a Street Fighter 2 game where you had to re-load the game after every round. Mental considering where gaming has progressed to now!

Ha, fuck me I didn't know SF2 was on the Spectrum. I bet that took hours to load. I'm a big fan of squeezing games onto consoles they're too advanced for. Mortal Kombat 3 came out on the Master System in Brazil! 

Edited by gmoney

27 minutes ago, gmoney said:

Ha, fuck me I didn't know SF2 was on the Spectrum. I bet that took hours to load. I'm a big fan of squeezing games onto consoles their too advanced for. Mortal Kombat 3 came out on the Master System in Brazil! 

To be fair the Master system Mortal kombat games look really good for the system they are on. The backgrounds look shite but the actual characters are decent. Fuck knows what it plays like though 

• Paid Members

@BigJagI have memories of only ever picking one guy, and then just being assigned a partner. It's odd.

I also remember playing a game called Tag Team Wrestling on a really old PC which played on a 5.25" floppy disk. It was CGA with PC Speaker music. None of the wrestlers had names, 

Yeah that's right, every second counts when these machines want your 10p pieces.

Japan had so, so many wrestling games we never ever saw here until the days of emulation. Even Onita had his own personal game but it was fucking horrid, more of a fighter and a poor one at that.

My neighbour had a Japanese Mega Drive cart that they had to cut just to fit in the console, it was a Joshi game based around Cutie Suzuki. It looked nice but we had no idea how to properly play it.

spacer.png