Wrestling Books

Bring Back Minipops

On 12/27/2018 at 6:49 AM, Keith Houchen said:

Finished the Regal book, an easy and enjoyable read but very WWE in a formulaic sense.

Completely agree after reading it, it's a big problem I've had with quite a few of the WWE books, they're pretty good throughout the early stages of someone's career but when they get to the WWE part it gives you about a year or so in detail and then glosses over. The subtext almost being "It was difficult at first but eventually I got Vince to like me and he is a really great guy and every day is great and its all so great...did I say it's great?".

The Regal one was actually weird to read knowing after he wrote this he has another relapse with drugs briefly. 

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, simonworden said:

Completely agree after reading it, it's a big problem I've had with quite a few of the WWE books, they're pretty good throughout the early stages of someone's career but when they get to the WWE part it gives you about a year or so in detail and then glosses over. The subtext almost being "It was difficult at first but eventually I got Vince to like me and he is a really great guy and every day is great and its all so great...did I say it's great?".

The Regal one was actually weird to read knowing after he wrote this he has another relapse with drugs briefly. 

Was that not performance enhancers rather than painkillers, though? I remember him being interviewed by Jon Ronson and basically saying that he'd generally use them for appearance and cycle on if he had photoshoots coming.

• Paid Members

Finally started reading I'm Sorry, I Love You. Jim Smallman's history of pro wrestling. It's an easy read, but there's a fair bit of information packed in. His writing style is good. Some of the jokes he makes are pretty awful, but my kind of awful. Well recommended. 

10 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Finally started reading I'm Sorry, I Love You. Jim Smallman's history of pro wrestling. It's an easy read, but there's a fair bit of information packed in. His writing style is good. Some of the jokes he makes are pretty awful, but my kind of awful. Well recommended. 

I got this at the same time that I got The Comic Book Story of Professional Wrestling. They cover pretty much the same ground but I enjoyed the Comic Book.... a bit more. Fewer lists about Smallman's mates.

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, BrodyGraham said:

I got this at the same time that I got The Comic Book Story of Professional Wrestling. They cover pretty much the same ground but I enjoyed the Comic Book.... a bit more. Fewer lists about Smallman's mates.

Might have to give that a look. 

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, RedRooster said:

Has anyone tried Hornswoggle’s book? I feel like he probably has an interesting story to tell, if the writing quality does it justice.

I was pleasantly surprised -- it's pretty balanced on the pros and cons of life on the road in WWE. It's well written as well -- it's by the guy who did the Bob Holly book, so it's very clear but still sounds like Hornswoggle speaking (well, Dylan Postl at least!)

http://prowrestlingbooks.com/2019/08/20/life-is-short-and-so-am-i-by-dylan-hornswoggle-postl-with-ross-owen-williams/

On 10/25/2019 at 3:18 PM, JNLister said:

I was pleasantly surprised -- it's pretty balanced on the pros and cons of life on the road in WWE. It's well written as well -- it's by the guy who did the Bob Holly book, so it's very clear but still sounds like Hornswoggle speaking (well, Dylan Postl at least!)

http://prowrestlingbooks.com/2019/08/20/life-is-short-and-so-am-i-by-dylan-hornswoggle-postl-with-ross-owen-williams/

I absolutely loved the Holly book, I’ll give it a read.

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I absolutely loved the Holly book, I’ll give it a read.

I'm with you on the Holly book, one of the few books  by a wrestler when I was confident at all points he wasn't bulls hitting and was telling what he at least truly believe to be the truth. I will hunt it out as well