Wrestling Books

Bring Back Minipops

3 hours ago, Chasingamymatt said:

Dont know if its mentioned already (probably) but i have a EPUB copy of Gary Harts wonderful book. Feel free to message me and I'm sure i can pass on.

Top 3 books:

Gary Hart autobiography

The Definative chronical of Brian Pillman 20 yrs later

Bret Hart - autobiography

Whilst I loved Bret's book it did mention he had the best match of (add wrestler name) and every match was different... Alot. 

14 hours ago, Michael_3165 said:

Whilst I loved Bret's book it did mention he had the best match of (add wrestler name) and every match was different... Alot. 

I enjoy autobiographies that arent really sugar coated and come across as that persons honest opions, Brets & Bob Holly's are geat examples of this.Do I agree with all of it - no but you can tell that is geniuinely how they feel about things. Much rather that than some watery "well i think hes ok" or "yeah fine to deal with". On the other hand Dynamites book depressed me. My wrestling hero and that read...it was hard. Still love him tho, happily for my tiny mind I can seperate how much I love watching a performer from how much of a D1ck they are. Having said that if I did that stance in wrestling im left with Owen Hart, Ernie Ladd and ...thats pretty much it.

• Paid Members

I owned Bret's book for a good few years before I dared read it. I just didn't fancy further tarnishing my hero. It does but its worth it. It's brilliantly written and brutally honest. It's probably massively embellished in places too bit he's a wrestler, that's part of the game.

I got a kindle. Searched "bob holly book". First match, unsurprisingly was Bob Holly's book. Second was Elton John official autobiography. Third was the serial killer colouring book. 

• Paid Members

I've heard great things about the new Shamrock book by Jonathan Snowden. So I ordered it last week and it arrived yesterday. Finishing off Titan Sinking at the minute then hoping to get stuck into this new Shamrock bio. 

On 5/23/2020 at 11:42 AM, Factotum said:

I weirdly have never read Bret's book despite being a huge fan. I don't know why I never have. I was thinking of getting it over this lockdown. Is it worth the read? I've heard good things

It's a great read for sure. Just be prepped for it to be like his shoot interviews. He doesn't have a shortage of confidence in himself. His recollections of matches and situations is intriguing. 

• Paid Members
19 hours ago, WeeAl said:

I've heard great things about the new Shamrock book by Jonathan Snowden. So I ordered it last week and it arrived yesterday. Finishing off Titan Sinking at the minute then hoping to get stuck into this new Shamrock bio. 

It's an odd one - it goes into extreme detail in some areas, but really glosses over others. It's almost a running joke that the birth of his children seems to only ever be covered in footnotes. I don't have really any interest in generalised stories of debaucheries, and "Shamrock and all his mates were going out taking pills and picking up women" every other page get a bit exhausting, particularly as things of somewhat more importance get covered in a page or two. There were points where it covers the birth of Pancrase in a few paragraphs that just made me want to read more about that, really. 

There's also a lot of received wisdom, or things stated as fact weirdly - so one footnote refers to "the first Tiger Mask Satoru Sayama", with no explanation of what a "Tiger Mask" is, which struck me as strange, and at what point it unquestioningly refers to Shawn Michaels as "the best in-ring performer of his generation".

Not to just be entirely critical of it, there is some really interesting stuff in the politics of early UFC, and discussions of why he was never really the star in WWF that people thought he could have been. It feels honest more often than not, and is worth a read, but some of the reviews I've seen absolutely raving about it make me wonder what other books these people have read.

• Paid Members

Cheers for the review Pat, it's nice to be able to balance the glowing reviews a bit, and not go into something expecting too much, for it to then deliver less than expected.