Wrestling Books

Bring Back Minipops

Just finished the Shamrock book. The early part was fascinating and you can almost in a way see why he is the way he is both in his proffessional and personal life. I do think that the early UFC guys don't get the credit they deserve. Cracking read although pretty uncomfortable reading at times. No sugar coating at all from any parties.

I thought JR's book was pretty awful. Considering the career he has had and the amount of backstage knowledge etc, it is probably the worst i have read in-terms of glossing over things with little detail/insight.

Patterson's is really more about his personal life than getting into all of the interesting wrestling stuff that only him/vince know.

Regal's book is really really good. Brets is essential reading. Gary harts is great, even id some bits are a little embellished.

The stampede book by heath mccoy was really good considering i knew very little about that territory other than the guys that emerged from it and jumped to wwf/wcw.

Bob hollys and lugers were suprisingly good from what i remember.

Anyone read the Dr D book or the Brutus book?

Bret's was great. He seems to have slept with the world which I appreciated. He was a lot less critical on people then I thought he would be, Bret loves a potshot but even with Shawn he's complementary and with Hogan he seemed to be just really disappointed that someone he liked turned into a wanker to him. Flair he just points out the truth really. Only people he seems to save his venom for are the siblings.

I tell you what though, fuck being a Hart family member. Sounds like a nightmare. Was interesting to read this after watching the Owen episode of DSOTR. Seems Bret was fully behind Martha. not sure what broke that down.

Anyone read Diana's mad book?

Ordered Regal's now.

Edited by Factotum

I'm re-reading Bret's book now and it's brilliant. Full of historical knowledge and anecdotes. The fact that he recorded his thoughts and feelings on a dictaphone throughout his career really helps with the legitimacy of the book.

He also has a story where every single person he's ever met tells him he's the best ever. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/3/2020 at 10:20 PM, Michael_3165 said:

Anyone read Jr's book yet? 

I’m slowly working my way through this, and it’s a pretty unpleasant read. 

He starts the book as he means to go on, with a horrible story about killing puppies.

Theres disturbing content relating to predatory behaviour of wrestlers very early on, including a story about Ric Flair exposing his erect penis to two women that I’m amazed has not been picked up on, much in a way the JBL bullying allegations were in Justin Roberts’ book. 

Finished w  Eggshells by Chris Charlton.. 

A nice little trip down memory lane of Toyko Dome shows, covering NJPW, NOAH and others. He gives good context to thhe events and key matches and his knowledge for the Japanese scene is extremely impressive. 

Could do w an edit here and there but its worth a look if you have njpw world.. 

I'm reading the Vader book right now. While not the best written as its basically Leon sitting there and telling the writer his story, in some ways that is nice change. It means it is less researched but it is his voice, and as a massive Vader fan its nice to hear it all clearly from his point of view. I'm just up to the huge push and launch of the Vader character in Japan and I am learning quite a bit about this period I did not know.

(in a seamless transition) Mick Foley does the foreword of the Vader book, and I've actually shared a few messages with Mick after I sent him a copy of my own book. I published Women Love Wrestling, an anthology with contributors covering the history of women in the sport, the current product and issues faced by female wrestlers and fans. Mick ended up tweeting his love for it a few times earlier this year and gave me a quote to promote the book - “Very well written, I am really enjoying it. I have been so impressed by the writers and their passion for the subject"

You can buy the book on Amazon, Apple etc for less than £5 with all info at https://womenlovewrestling.net/where-to-buy/ , and I am donating 100% of profits to RAINN and Women's Aid, so please check it out. Thanks.

4 hours ago, SpiderJason said:

I'm reading the Vader book right now. While not the best written as its basically Leon sitting there and telling the writer his story, in some ways that is nice change. It means it is less researched but it is his voice, and as a massive Vader fan its nice to hear it all clearly from his point of view. I'm just up to the huge push and launch of the Vader character in Japan and I am learning quite a bit about this period I did not know.

(in a seamless transition) Mick Foley does the foreword of the Vader book, and I've actually shared a few messages with Mick after I sent him a copy of my own book. I published Women Love Wrestling, an anthology with contributors covering the history of women in the sport, the current product and issues faced by female wrestlers and fans. Mick ended up tweeting his love for it a few times earlier this year and gave me a quote to promote the book - “Very well written, I am really enjoying it. I have been so impressed by the writers and their passion for the subject"

You can buy the book on Amazon, Apple etc for less than £5 with all info at https://womenlovewrestling.net/where-to-buy/ , and I am donating 100% of profits to RAINN and Women's Aid, so please check it out. Thanks.

Surprised foley didnt fap to it tbh. Send it back covered in Mickster jizz. Ergh.