Wrestling Books

Bring Back Minipops

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Lord-Mountevans said:

& that is why i apologised. I guess you have chose to not accept my apology then?

It's not about apologies. It's about understanding - worryingly, you seem to think it would be a good ol' gag if only the story was better known. 

But sure, in the same spirit as your apology, I "accept".

7 minutes ago, Chris B said:

It's not about apologies. It's about understanding - worryingly, you seem to think it would be a good ol' gag if only the story was better known. 

But sure, in the same spirit as your apology, I "accept".

But i did understand & tried to explain. Obviously the explanation was not good enough for you. 

I am glad you accepted the apology though, thank you.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Lord-Mountevans said:

& that is why i apologised. I guess you have chose to not accept my apology then?

Last warning about being passive aggressive. If you want to be a dickhead just be one. 

2 hours ago, PowerButchi said:

Last warning about being passive aggressive. If you want to be a dickhead just be one. 

i honestly think you have got me wrong.

Like that other time when someone asked about that Jimmy Corkhill image. You accused me of being passive aggressive, but all i did was answer the question?

Now you are suggesting i act like a dickhead, which i assume could get me banned? & in the same breath giving me a final warning for not being the type of dickhead you believe me to be?

My apology was genuine. Do i also apologise to you or be rude to you? Can you accept that the typed word can be misinterpreted, be it sarcasm or any other form of expression more easily judged face to face? If you read the original posts about my review you will see Michael-315 mention "kidding" & King Pitcos mention "bumrape" so i just went along with what i thought was a bit of laddish banter. I can't really say any more than i already have & feel that nothing i say in addition will change your preconception of me.

Edited by Lord-Mountevans

11 hours ago, Lord-Mountevans said:

i honestly think you have got me wrong.

Like that other time when someone asked about that Jimmy Corkhill image. You accused me of being passive aggressive, but all i did was answer the question?

Now you are suggesting i act like a dickhead, which i assume could get me banned? & in the same breath giving me a final warning for not being the type of dickhead you believe me to be?

My apology was genuine. Do i also apologise to you or be rude to you? Can you accept that the typed word can be misinterpreted, be it sarcasm or any other form of expression more easily judged face to face? If you read the original posts about my review you will see Michael-315 mention "kidding" & King Pitcos mention "bumrape" so i just went along with what i thought was a bit of laddish banter. I can't really say any more than i already have & feel that nothing i say in addition will change your preconception of me.

Acting a dickhead getting you banned? It'll get you a gold star mate.

Personally I find people need to calm down.Life is way too short to get het up by ill-advised jokey comments. Do people suffer in life? Definitely. I prefer to be a tad light hearted, saves the pain. It's not like you went to a rape crisis convention and made the comment there. It's all in context. But then again people like being outraged for other people (unless you have been sexually assaulted by a hulking wrestler, in which case apologies in advance) 

Edited by Michael_3165

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, Lord-Mountevans said:

Now you are suggesting i act like a dickhead

You recently started a thread called 'UKFF Love', and proceeded to slate the forum in your opening line of the first post. You act like a dickhead. A lot.

25 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

You recently started a thread called 'UKFF Love', and proceeded to slate the forum in your opening line of the first post. You act like a dickhead. A lot.

You forgot to mention that in my next line, i put was...

"there are a LOT of good people around here. People who through their love of wrestling genuinely care about folk that they may have never met, but are happy to give out good advice & kind words."

I still believe this to be true. You only have to read the comments about people suffering for various reasons during Isolation & the support & kind words typed in the Covid-19 Megathread by many people on here, to know that the comment you left out was also correct.

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Michael_3165 said:

Acting a dickhead getting you banned? It'll get you a gold star mate.

Personally I find people need to calm down.Life is way too short to get het up by ill-advised jokey comments. Do people suffer in life? Definitely. I prefer to be a tad light hearted, saves the pain. It's not like you went to a rape crisis convention and made the comment there. It's all in context. But then again people like being outraged for other people (unless you have been sexually assaulted by a hulking wrestler, in which case apologies in advance) 

If you don't like it then why don't you fuck off like said you were going to 4 years ago?

• Paid Members
On 5/8/2020 at 6:43 PM, Kamaras-Tash said:

I've seen a few tweets about Shamrock's book getting quite a bit of praise lately, I'm assuming it's more focused on his MMA career though. I think I might get it when spare cash becomes a thing again

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shamrock-Worlds-Most-Dangerous-Man/dp/1734945915/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1588959666&sr=1-1

I'm reading it at the moment - it's good, though I'm not entirely sure it's worthy of the praise being heaped on it. I am only up to UFC 3, admittedly, but there are points when I'm frustrated that it hasn't gone into more detail on an interesting point it raises, or when it glosses over things very quickly. I'm not particularly invested in Ken Shamrock's private life, so it's not a dealbreaker, but there are points when the birth of one of his children is covered in a footnote!

It's not particularly well-written, but far from the worst wrestling book in that regard. There's some interesting stuff on the development of shoot style into MMA, from UWF to PWFG to Pancrase and so on in Japan, with quotes from a few of the key players, that mostly just made me wish that I could read a book on that whole scene rather than one where it's summarised as a backdrop to who Ken Shamrock is.

On 5/7/2020 at 10:26 PM, SuperBacon said:

I don't know if you own this physically, but the OSW guys were recently looking for a copy to buy/borrow if you're done with it.

Someone on here emailed me it, it’s the oldest email in my mailbox 

Finally picked up Lou Thesz: Shooter on the kindle for less than a tenner. So intrigued to see what it’s like. It also linked to the following & was wondering if anyone could give any insight into if they’re worth checking out;

Terry Funk : more than just hardcore

vader time by Leon white

Stan Hansen autobiography 

Also any left field suggestions bar these would be welcomed. Cheers