What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members
On 1/20/2020 at 5:52 PM, Magnum Milano said:

Was the first episode the Christmas special or 'The Pilot'?  I forget how they've been numbering them.

I won't go into too much detail in case you haven't seen it yet, but in 'The Pilot' there is this scene involving Nancy Zamit and Charlie Russell which I thought was bordering on genius and the timing was to the nth to pull it off.  Top level stuff right there.

Just watched it. Not sure if you meant

The split screen, or the undressing/dressing up

but I thought both were genius in an episode which was patchy. The 3rd episode, The Trial, I thought was fantastic 

Just now, Hannibal Scorch said:

Just watched it. Not sure if you meant

Hide contents

The split screen, or the undressing/dressing up

but I thought both were genius in an episode which was patchy. The 3rd episode, The Trial, I thought was fantastic 

The shower/undressing/dressing scene.  I just thought it was incredibly ingenious to even come up with something like that and then the execution and timing of it was faultless

I've not watched Friday's episode yet, but 'The Lodge' (the horror themed episode four) was my least favourite so far, although there are still some funny moments in there.  This was really the episode where I started to think it may not work as a weekly series as you could see the jokes coming.

• Paid Members

Finally finished Succession. I really enjoyed the first season, but by the 2nd I found some of the performances and character choices grating.

Really could do without ever seeing Roman do stuff like a 360 and back clap every time he enters a room. Plus, the actor playing Shiv does what a lot of actors seem to do when playing a supposed intelligent person, which is do a Robert Downey Jr impression and frown a lot; it became almost robotic the way Shiv consistently delivered the lines.

The jokes remain sharp, however, and Brian Cox is never not captivating as a complete bastard.

Shiv's whole thing is she thinks she is that super intelligent person who is one step ahead of everyone else when in reality she's not. It kind of works with her. Roman does risk becoming a bit of a caricature, the granny shagging deviant.

I think the bad decisions and weird outbursts from some characters are somewhat deliberate. We're watching an empire fall apart and everyone is fucking up trying to politic but making things worse. I'd be surprised and disappointed if by the end of the show if the Roy's were the last media moguls standing.

• Paid Members

Yeah I agree, Shiv carries herself as more intelligent but in reality she's not really that smart which is why Logan is never serious about choosing her. Roman is probably the smartest but is such a huge mess he fucks everything up.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

Shiv's whole thing is she thinks she is that super intelligent person who is one step ahead of everyone else when in reality she's not. It kind of works with her. Roman does risk becoming a bit of a caricature, the granny shagging deviant.

I'm aware but I'm on about the acting involved and not the story itself. I found it took away from the story because it was so distractingly annoying.

I’m a couple of episodes into The Stranger, the new Netflix drama that’s basically a BBC drama. Loads of recognisable actors (Dervla Kirwan, Jennifer Saunders, Dennis Pennis, the brunette from Rita Sue and Bob Too, Northern Neil Maskell, Anthony Head, the lispy blonde from Skins second generation) going through the motions well enough, but the writing is embarrassing, like it’s been written by a middle-aged posho who has just read a couple of articles about raves and sugar daddy websites. It’s very awkward. Some mental twists though, good cliffhangers.

Edited by King Pitcos

• Awards Moderator

The finale of The Good Place was wonderful and lovely and emotional and will be living in my head for a long time. I haven’t been that moved by a TV finale maybe ever - I lost count of how many times I welled up. Genuinely makes me want to try and be a better person and I know how strange it is for a half hour sitcom to have that effect ... but it was truly great.

The show itself had its ups and downs (the first halves of seasons 3 and 4 were a bit of a slog) but the last few episodes may have been its best.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

14 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

Fans of Goes Wrong Show: this week's finale stretches a gimmick about as far as it will go, but if you're in the mood for some stupid slapstick it's brilliant fun. 

I thought it was a return to form after two pretty sub-par episodes.  Dave Hearn, Charlie Russell and Nancy Zamit are my favourite members of the group, so with them all being featured heavily in this there was very little chance I wasn't going to like it (Charlie's looks to camera always get me for some reason).

I also started to watch Bodies on the iPlayer last night. 

It's penned by Jed Mercurio (Line of Duty), was originally broadcast back in 2004 and is set in the obstetrics department of a hospital.  The main stars are Max Beesley, Patrick Baladi, Neve McIntosh and Susan Lynch.  Beesley is the lead and he plays the role of a new consultant in the department working under Baladi.  I'm only one episode and we've learned that Baladi's character is pretty much out of his depth in his position, doing surgeries he isn't qualified for and it's only due to the money he brings into the hospital that he's really where he is.  After a couple of near misses Lynch's character questions Beesley as to whether he's noticed how inept Baladi is, what with him working under him, however as Baladi stuck up for Beesley when an emergency tracheotomy he was forced into performing went wrong and led to the patient dying, he's not prepared to put the boot in.  The episode ended with Baladi helping to deliver a premature baby, only for him to make a horrible mess of things, the baby die and the mother ending up in a coma with brain damage.  The husband of the woman confronts Beesley as to how something can go wrong and we're left wondering if he'll continue to back Baladi or blow the whistle on him.

Started watching The Outsider. I have a feeling it's starting off like True Detective but will quickly turn in to the usual Stephen King shit show. HBO gives me hope though and Ben Mendelsohn is rarely anything other than terrific value in anything he's in.

Took me a while to watch it but I’ve just blitzed the first series of Man Like Mobeen and it is superb. The H-AltRight episode especially. BBC comedy continues to thrive.

Also watched the first episode of the new series of Brooklyn Nine Nine and Vanessa Bayer turned up so 11/10 for that.

• Moderators

I watched the janitor always mops twice episode of Sunny today. It was... Ok. I guess. Strange and unnecessary buy not entirely terrible. It was very well made I will say - the musical cues were spot on. At least it had a few laughs, so it is a million times better than the end of the last season.

So far my favorite episode this season was the zoo one.

43 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Took me a while to watch it but I’ve just blitzed the first series of Man Like Mobeen and it is superb. The H-AltRight episode especially. BBC comedy continues to thrive.

I’ve avoided watching it because it’s always struck me as being in that vein of very shitty BBC “yoof” shows, pitched at the retard market like Coming of Age and Two Pints. The promo photo on iPlayer looks like it’s three idiot men and a precocious wise little sister. What I have seen of Guz Khan doing his gimmick on YouTube vids and stuff over the years, I’ve mostly found too broad and annoying (except in small doses in that sitcom about airport arrivals). It’s all super off-putting, but then I’d probably have avoided People Just Do Nothing if I’d known nothing about it. Although, I’ve never heard any positive word of mouth about Man Like Mobeen, until now. Might give it a go.