What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

On 3/4/2020 at 9:17 PM, King Pitcos said:

This Country series 3 is dead good!

I’ve just watched all of the episodes from series 1 and 2 today and can’t tell you how much I love it.

It is a perfect mix, and deserves every plaudit it gets. 

British comedy has enjoyed such a great period over the last few years but this might be the best of the bunch.

Kerrys mum...fucking hell.

• Paid Members

I watched episode 1.1 after Daisy May Cooper was on the Off Menu podcast (which is an incredible episode as I'm sure @Onyx2 will attest) and just didn't get it. The characters all seem like knobheads, particularly the brother. Maybe it's a grower but I just did not care enough to watch the next one.

• Awards Moderator
40 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

I watched episode 1.1 after Daisy May Cooper was on the Off Menu podcast (which is an incredible episode as I'm sure @Onyx2 will attest) and just didn't get it. The characters all seem like knobheads, particularly the brother. Maybe it's a grower but I just did not care enough to watch the next one.

Yeah I'm in the same boat, I watched This Country off the back of Off Menu and was underwhelmed. I know it's not a slap round the face show but it didn't click with me. 

That episode of Off Menu though... Probably my favourite. Acaster's meltdown was hilarious. 

https://open.spotify.com/episode/1jOnWCWxEzDBE7u5pZvXlL?si=aezzyY3sTXiF8lANUHwY-g

• Awards Moderator

Double post for another topic. So a sad time of year as we reach the end of another outstanding series of Inside No. 9. A real treat. Last night's was no exception:

there's millions of clues that he's a vampire throughout the episode when you think about it. I only eat meat once a month... I was dead to the world... Long in the tooth... Don't go across the bridge... 

Typical hinting and wrong-footing. Genius. And there's no hint it's going in such an odd direction.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

Double post for another topic. So a sad time of year as we reach the end of another outstanding series of Inside No. 9. A real treat. Last night's was no exception:

Reveal hidden contents

there's millions of clues that he's a vampire throughout the episode when you think about it. I only eat meat once a month... I was dead to the world... Long in the tooth... Don't go across the bridge... 

Typical hinting and wrong-footing. Genius. And there's no hint it's going in such an odd direction.

It has been renewed for another two series though. Hurrah.

Think I'm two behind. Episode 3 was the Advent calendar episode. A pretty gentle episode but brilliantly written as always. They built the history of this random family in 30 second or one minute "days" to the point you were on edge because you cared about the outcome. Very subtle storytelling as it turned out the Mum knew what happened all along and was not letting on because she'd dealt with the problem.

Episode 4 started with a murder and a beheading so couldn't be more different or any less subtle. Brilliantly written again though with the magician getting comeuppance. I really enjoyed that one too.

• Paid Members

This Country is suppose to represent people from rural communities that don't have the social skills or education of people seen to be from big cities. They are not instantly likable, but I think that makes it such a good watch to be honest. It gets quite emotional at times too.

• Awards Moderator
12 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

Hide contents

That last episode has gone straight towards the very top of my favourite No. 9s. Brilliantly done

and about 10,000,000,000x better than the other League Of Gentlemen member’s vampire show this year. I definitely want to watch it again to spot all the vampire clues.

• Paid Members

According to Twitter, on today's episode of Doctors a patient has a condition where she sees Joe Pasquale everywhere, which means Joe Pasquale is playing a load of characters in some sort of daytime TV version of Being John Malkovitch.

I'm sold.

• Paid Members

Finally finished The Mandalorian, having lost my subscription to Disney+ just before episode 8 came out. It’s fantastic and well worth your time.

On a side note, if anyone has taken advantage of the £49.99 12 month offer for Disney+, if you use a VPN, you can access Disney+ already