What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

I’m not saying it’s groundbreaking and it’s not as funny as PJDN (but then that for me is a fairly personal touchstone as it’s set literally two miles from where I grew up) but it’s enjoyable and a cut above most.

Give it a bash *kennethwilliams.jpg*

• Paid Members
On 1/21/2020 at 2:17 PM, PunkStep said:

Save Me is actually another good shout, and I even liked Lennie James in it. Suranne Jones playing her typecast role of suffering woman got tiresome but I was impressed with Kerri Godliman. Where the fuck is the second series?!

Saw the trailer on tv today. All episodes out on April 1st. 

High Fidelity

High Fidelity is my favourite book of all time (yes this makes me a very basic bitch). The film sits well within my top 10 of all time, maybe even top 5 :)
They both make up parts of my go-to-comfort pack for when things get too heavyin life, and they were introduced to me by someone I hold dear and subesequently I hold them both very dearly.

Keith mentioned in a post the other day that he couldn't understand why people get precious about films etc and I completely agree. It's why I cringe when people whinge about reboots or remakes, as if they're not for you, it shouldn't sully your enjoyment of the originals and what you got from them, and/or you could just not watch them...but I was slightly nervous about how this would come out.

Didn't have to. It's fucking brilliant. Genuinely the most I've enjoyed a TV series in years. Zoe Kravitz is note perfect as Rob, and the setting has moved from London (via Chicago) to New York, specifically Brooklyn which works well with her character and the modern update.

I was worried that they might have made it too "try hard" but they haven't. It's slightly hipsterish in places (as it should be), but not too much and remains accessible to all even if you're not familiar with the book/film, music or pop culture references (only slight complaint is that this can get a bit too cute at times). Rob's nowhere near as misanthropic as Cusacks or Hornbys version and subsequently this makes the whole thing a lot warmer. She's not perfect but she's not an arsehole like Rob Fleming (or Gordon)

Lots of the same dialogue/scenes are used from the film, but they never feel repetitive or cringey and there is always a fresh new twist on things (The Beta Band gag, the "Springsteen-esque" cameo (which is amazing), the two "little skater fucks", the fantasising about beating up the exes new partner etc)

Barry and Dick have been upgraded to Cherise and Simon, who are exactly like Barry and Dick and nothing like them at all at the same time. Da'Vine Joy Randolph steals every scene she's in as Cherise, and there are moments of real pathos and vulnerability from her that had me crying like a baby. The music is not surprisingly excellent, the whole thing as a series allows them to introduce stories and characters that aren't in the book/film and let them breathe, and yeah, I just fucking loved it. Zoe Kravitz really holds the whole thing together. She's way too fit to be as "relatable" as Cusack's 'Why-do-I-keep-getting-dumped' Rob, and this is a slight problem but it's a minor gripe.

The only downside is that I binge watched the whole thing in one day and now I'm pissed off that there are no more episodes to watch. No idea when it's on over here, but it's on the usual suspects. Sorry for the rambling, I just really loved it.

• Paid Members

Can’t wait to see it @SuperBacon. It was an early film I introduced to Mrs Scorch and became a favourite. We even used I Believe When I Fall In Love as the last dance at our wedding. It was made for Disney+ but later moved to Hulu so hoping we may get it here on Disney+ as Hulu is not here for a while yet.

Surprised you didn’t mention that Zoe’s mum was Marie De Salle in the original movie. 

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

8 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Can’t wait to see it @SuperBacon. It was an early film I introduced to Mrs Scorch and became a favourite. We even used I Believe When I Fall In Love as the last dance at our wedding. It was made for Disney+ but later moved to Hulu so hoping we may get it here on Disney+ as Hulu is not here for a while yet.

Surprised you didn’t mention that Zoe’s mum was Marie De Salle in the original movie. 

Because I’m a basic bitch, but not that much of a basic bitch.

• Paid Members

Just finished the first series of Killing Eve and it's just a masterpiece in almost every way. The writing's brilliant, of course, but I think the casting is really under-appreciated and I'm really glad that Sandra Oh finally got the vehicle her talent deserved.