What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Awards Moderator
7 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I completely lost interest in this, given the absolute mess they made of last season. Is it showing any promise this time round?

I enjoyed episode 1. I’m fairly confident I understood what was going on most of the time, which is a vast improvement on season 2.

2 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I enjoyed episode 1. I’m fairly confident I understood what was going on most of the time, which is a vast improvement on season 2.

Yeah this, it seems like it's even bigger in scale but they might not try to be so clever and failing this season.

Minus two snowflakes for putting in a post-credits scene like a comic movie tho, it's a pretty big scene, too.

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

Wanting something gentle to watch I found Around the World in 80 Days is up on iPlayer.  Uncle Michael makes everything better.  Absolute treasure.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/b008n8yy/around-the-world-in-80-days

I used to love that when I was younger, and Pole to Pole as well.

The first two episodes of Derry Girls were fantastic. Orla especially is brilliant.

1 hour ago, johnnyboy said:

Wanting something gentle to watch I found Around the World in 80 Days is up on iPlayer.  Uncle Michael makes everything better.  Absolute treasure.

Was obssessed with this as a kid, and would spend hours plotting courses around the world from my council flat.

Gonna start this on Monday with the kids. That can be their Geography lessons

• Awards Moderator
4 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

Until the Vietnam bit where they skin a live snake 😬

Rewatching the first series of Westworld and Atlanta at the moment. I forgot how bloody great the music throughout both shows is. 

I've heard season 2 of Westworld is a slog but Thandie nips means I'm determined to get to season 3.

Atlanta is just magnificent. Every character is brilliantly written and it's no surprise they all got busy after the first series. I really hope there's a season 3.

Feel Good

Quite simply, fucking wondeful.

A strong supporting cast (Lisa Kudrow, Sophie Thompson, Phil Burgers, Charlotte Ritchie) all elevate this but Mae Martin is incredible. She is a revelation, and nails the restless energy of a recovering addict.

Haven't been as impressed by an acting performance in ages. 

• Paid Members

I liked the new series of Curb your Enthusiasm. The 10th series of anything is normally an unwatchable caricature of what it used the be, Curb has gone a bit that way but in a way that works. 

It's evolved into an almost cartoon-like surreal sequence of Larry's misadventures, it's a bit more loose and over the top than before and it barely resembles the real world at this point. It's like a Larry David Mr Bean or something. 

8 hours ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

I liked the new series of Curb your Enthusiasm. The 10th series of anything is normally an unwatchable caricature of what it used the be, Curb has gone a bit that way but in a way that works. 

It's evolved into an almost cartoon-like surreal sequence of Larry's misadventures, it's a bit more loose and over the top than before and it barely resembles the real world at this point. It's like a Larry David Mr Bean or something. 

The finale was great. Hit all the "stupid things that will bite Larry in the arse" tropes and then some.