What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

7 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Will someone bite the bullet and watch Quiz on ITV player and tell me if it's worth my time. It's got Sheen doing his impressions and Macfadyen is pretty good value anyway but you know, ITV.

It's alright. Although they annoyingly keep it very vague as to whether they were in on it or not.

Just now, Mr_Danger said:

Will someone bite the bullet and watch Quiz on ITV player and tell me if it's worth my time. It's got Sheen doing his impressions and Macfadyen is pretty good value anyway but you know, ITV.

Also, Westworld this week was fucking great, really great.

I watched it on ITV over the past three nights and enjoyed it.  You certainly come out of it questioning things and there is plenty there for you to decide whether they were guilty or not.

Macfadyen, Mark Bonnar and Helen McCrory were all very good in it I thought.

On 4/14/2020 at 7:52 PM, wordsfromlee said:

I made it about half way through it before I turned it off. I found it pretty boring. I don't think it worked as a movie and reckon they should have made another series instead.

I don't like how it's all so brightly lit and fancy looking now. The whole point of Red Dwarf was that it was a bit shabby and rough around the edges.

In fairness, I know (or think) you're not talking of the continuity of the 'fancy looking' aspect to it all now. However, in the show it was explained when they went back to Red Dwarf in S8, the nanobots who rebuilt it all used the blueprints from what the intended final design was supposed to be. So it isn't just randomly shiny, bright and brand new.

Onto another programme now. Only just seen last week's Better Call Saul (episode 9). And holy WOW. The final 5 minutes, the tension could be cut with a knife. Another solid episode but that ending in particular was superbly acted and shot.

I watched the first episode of Alex Garland's Devs which looks like another belter. Between this and Westworld it looks like human coding and predictive futures are the hottest tropes in sci fi. 

I'm deleting my cookies.

Westworld season 3 continues to be the best show on tv that no one is watching. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, I'm going to watch Devs after I've finished Mindhunter, it looks great.

Weird thing actually, is that both TV shows I'm watching currently (Mindhunter and Fringe) have Anna Torv in them and I don't think I've ever seen her in anything else before last week.

• Paid Members
On 4/14/2020 at 7:52 PM, wordsfromlee said:

I made it about half way through it before I turned it off. I found it pretty boring. I don't think it worked as a movie and reckon they should have made another series instead.

I don't like how it's all so brightly lit and fancy looking now. The whole point of Red Dwarf was that it was a bit shabby and rough around the edges.

I stuck with it but after a good hit rate through 10 & 11 and a split 12 it was disappointing. There was potential in there for a couple of good episodes but they never explored them fully because it was all part of one big weaker story. The cat jokes don't do it for me either which was a mark against it. 

@Onyx2On series 7 IIRC all episodes have canned laughter but some versions take it off, which was done as part of the "xtended" VHS releases they did I believe. It's been a while but I'm sure the dvd has some episodes both and without as. It all felt like a stab at trying to present it as being more serious. That might be why it hits the flow so noticeably, as they were filmed with a laughter track in mind.

Edit from wiki:

The studio audience was now removed from the series and, much like feature-length films, the episodes were mostly shot using one camera.[33] Episodes were still videotaped, but were digitally processed to look like film, and although there was no live audience, a laughter track was later recorded at a screening of the episodes before an audience

Edited by Tommy!

37 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

After seeing how far up it's own arse it went in season two, I can understand why no one is watching the new ones.

It's a fair criticism and it's a tightrope you constantly walk watching it in season 3 but providing they don't all wake up in Total Recall machines and it's all been a Future World simulation* it'll have been a cracking series. They've scaled back the world within a world within a world multiple time line stuff, i think. It plays as a much more straight sci fi actioner.

Two episodes left for them to fuck off up their own arses though.

*i fear this might actually happen, to a Michael Cain voice over.

Edited by Mr_Danger

• Paid Members

Started watching Death In Paradise on Netflix, Ben Miller is good. I'm concerned it may be a case of diminishing returns as I've got Kris Marshall, Ardal O'Hanlon and Ralf Little to look forward to in the lead role?

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Started watching Death In Paradise on Netflix, Ben Miller is good. I'm concerned it may be a case of diminishing returns as I've got Kris Marshall, Ardal O'Hanlon and Ralf Little to look forward to in the lead role?

The only other person I know watches this is my Nana. As far as I know, it does indeed get worse as it goes on.

• Paid Members

I've heard Westworld season 3 is really good stuff but I thought season 1 was absolutely terribly written shite. If I didn't like season 1 I'm assuming I won't like season 3?

Better Call Saul finished yesterday and was of course absolutely masterful. Tony Dalton is hitting it out the park as Lalo Salamanca in this, potential all time great antagonist. The wait til the final season (2022 I would guess) is going to be a painful one.

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Better Call Saul finished yesterday and was of course absolutely masterful. Tony Dalton is hitting it out the park as Lalo Salamanca in this, potential all time great antagonist. The wait til the final season (2022 I would guess) is going to be a painful one.

Dalton has really been fantastic. Easily the best baddie in all of the BCS/BB universe. 

Dripping in charisma. The perfect amount of calm and coolness with the potential to turn into murderous rage at the drop of a hat. "Tell it again" 

Rhea Seahorn put in a hell of a shift too. It's been a wonderful season. Gonna be an agonising wait for the final part now. 

Edited by Silky Kisser

• Paid Members

I love that the main question of the show as it has gone along has morphed from "How does Jimmy end up as the Saul from Breaking Bad?" to "what happens to Kim?". She's the main character now in my mind.