Dynamite Duane

What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Finished watching Kidding with Jim Carrey in and directed/produced by Michel Gondry. Nice show with 30 minute episodes (need more of these) including puppets, melancholy and Jim Carrey being a children's TV presenter.

On 1/19/2020 at 7:26 AM, Chest Rockwell said:

For some reason I put on The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina on Netflix the other day. It's surprisingly much better than I expected it to be! I mean it's obviously not amazing or anything, but I have been working my way through the first series steadily and really quite enjoying it 

I've just realised now, midway through season 2, that aunt Hilda is Dawn from The Office. I don't think I've seen her in anything since The Office Xmas special first aired and obviously she looks a lot different now. It kept nagging away at me that I recognised her voice and I couldn't figure out why. 

29 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I've just realised now, midway through season 2, that aunt Hilda is Dawn from The Office. I don't think I've seen her in anything since The Office Xmas special first aired and obviously she looks a lot different now. It kept nagging away at me that I recognised her voice and I couldn't figure out why. 

She pops up in Wonder Woman and Studio 60 on the sunset strip. She's been in a few american things since the Office.

We watched all of The Show That Goes Wrong this week and thought that the Christmas and court episodes were really good but the pilot and especially the horror one were shit. Shame as I liked the stage stuff. 

49 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

She pops up in Wonder Woman and Studio 60 on the sunset strip. She's been in a few american things since the Office.

She seems to play the same kooky British role in everything. 

2 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

She seems to play the same kooky British role in everything. 

image.thumb.jpeg.86a90d8082da777bd9bf24f4b0eb332a.jpeg

On 1/21/2020 at 10:34 AM, TheBurningRed said:

I enjoyed Save Me. Despite Lennie James being an awful actor. 

What the hell.

Anyway, finished Russian Doll last night and it really is a blinder. I enjoyed the fact it didn't finish ambiguously even though the second series is imminent. Natasha Lyonne is a treasure.

I'll start Killing Eve next.

I remember thinking that apart from flashes, the last series of Curb Your Enthusiasm was a bit disappointing but the first episode of the new series was hilarious. I hope it continues all the way through.

20 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

I remember thinking that apart from flashes, the last series of Curb Your Enthusiasm was a bit disappointing but the first episode of the new series was hilarious. I hope it continues all the way through.

It’s almost topped season 9 in one episode (although I’ve not rewatched since its first airing, but it definitely seemed the weakest). But the first episode of season 10 was, as you said, hilarious 

On 1/20/2020 at 5:52 PM, Magnum Milano said:

Was the first episode the Christmas special or 'The Pilot'?  I forget how they've been numbering them.

I won't go into too much detail in case you haven't seen it yet, but in 'The Pilot' there is this scene involving Nancy Zamit and Charlie Russell which I thought was bordering on genius and the timing was to the nth to pull it off.  Top level stuff right there.

Just watched it. Not sure if you meant

The split screen, or the undressing/dressing up

but I thought both were genius in an episode which was patchy. The 3rd episode, The Trial, I thought was fantastic 

Just now, Hannibal Scorch said:

Just watched it. Not sure if you meant

Hide contents

The split screen, or the undressing/dressing up

but I thought both were genius in an episode which was patchy. The 3rd episode, The Trial, I thought was fantastic 

The shower/undressing/dressing scene.  I just thought it was incredibly ingenious to even come up with something like that and then the execution and timing of it was faultless

I've not watched Friday's episode yet, but 'The Lodge' (the horror themed episode four) was my least favourite so far, although there are still some funny moments in there.  This was really the episode where I started to think it may not work as a weekly series as you could see the jokes coming.

Finally finished Succession. I really enjoyed the first season, but by the 2nd I found some of the performances and character choices grating.

Really could do without ever seeing Roman do stuff like a 360 and back clap every time he enters a room. Plus, the actor playing Shiv does what a lot of actors seem to do when playing a supposed intelligent person, which is do a Robert Downey Jr impression and frown a lot; it became almost robotic the way Shiv consistently delivered the lines.

The jokes remain sharp, however, and Brian Cox is never not captivating as a complete bastard.

Shiv's whole thing is she thinks she is that super intelligent person who is one step ahead of everyone else when in reality she's not. It kind of works with her. Roman does risk becoming a bit of a caricature, the granny shagging deviant.

I think the bad decisions and weird outbursts from some characters are somewhat deliberate. We're watching an empire fall apart and everyone is fucking up trying to politic but making things worse. I'd be surprised and disappointed if by the end of the show if the Roy's were the last media moguls standing.