What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members

Managed to finish the first episode of "This Country" and got through half the second. I don't get it. Just utterly charmless knobheads doing nothing in particular with primary school dialogue. Not for me.

Started on Killing Eve. It's very well done but not sure it's that compelling. Certainly don't feel desperate to see the next one.

This probably amounts to sacrilege around here, but I started watching The Wire for the first time a couple of weeks ago.  It took a bit of getting into with so many characters being introduced and by the third episode, when I was getting into it, decided to rewatch the first two to try and make things clearer.  I know it gets a lot of "best TV show ever" praise, and while I don't know about that at the moment, it is very, very good.  It's something that I can definitely see me rewatching down the line and then picking out things I missed first time around in the rewatch.  Just the final disc of the first season left to watch which I should finish up this evening.

Edited by Magnum Milano

Yeah I did the same with The Wire. Once you kind of get the lingo you can sit back and properly enjoy it. Don't listen to anyone telling you that season 2 is weak either, it's great and has some of my favourite stuff in it. 

David Simon said The Wire is like starting a new job. You don’t know who everyone is or what they do, but you pick it up the longer you work there. He said if you aren’t into it by episode 5 then you probably won’t be ever. 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

I think This Country is an absolute masterpiece. Especially if your are from the countryside and rural areas they live in it is massively relatable.  

I think I've probably agreed with you on every show you've ever mentioned in this thread so this might be a first.

• Paid Members

I watched the first episode of The Wire a few times over a few year period before I made the effort into watching the rest of the series. Obviously, well worth it. Still haven't finished the 4th series. 

37 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

I think I've probably agreed with you on every show you've ever mentioned in this thread so this might be a first.

I kind of see it as a rural companion to People Just Do Nothing. I would love to have seen them do a crossover. For Comic Relief or something.

Halfway through Gangs Of London. Really enjoying it so far, as already mentioned some of the fighting scenes are great fun & its graphic in places too if you like that kind of thing.

I thought this would be your average sky original show, but have been proven wrong so far. 

• Paid Members

Just finished Save Me Too. Lennie James is just brilliant and compelling as the lead in this and the first season. Quite a depressing story but every episode keeps you hooked. Loved it.

Onto Killing Eve S3 then Gangs of London next. Hoping these bring back some normality after binging Tiger King.