What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

I think Vince Gilligan has said that they had no real plan for Breaking Bad long term. They went season by season throwing shit in. It lacks that direction of an end which BCS has built in already with the character.

BB has some stunning episodes, and was great to just rifle through, but yeah, bar the performances it has some really weird pacing/story issues.

4 hours ago, Factotum said:

I think Vince Gilligan has said that they had no real plan for Breaking Bad long term. They went season by season throwing shit in. It lacks that direction of an end which BCS has built in already with the character.

BB has some stunning episodes, and was great to just rifle through, but yeah, bar the performances it has some really weird pacing/story issues.

Do you know in light of what I wrote, I surmised in my own head that it was probably because with BCS there is a definite end goal/starting point it needs to get to. Little did I know that the creators actually go along with that themselves.Ā 

All well and good, but yeah BB was decent. Just definitely nowhere near the top echelons of best ever. Personally, and I say personally, I don't even think I'd have it top 25. BCS however, will have to see how it ends (think the next season, season 6 is the last), but it is fast approaching a comfortable top 5 place for me

Westworld series 2 pretty much disappeared up it's own ass from when I last commented on how much better than people said it was. Way too Inceptiony. Loved the reverse of Paint it Black though.

Ep 01 of season 3 is very promising. It really is like Terminator mixed with Blade Runner.

Edited by Mr_Danger

The Little Drummer Girl

It should be renamed Florence Pugh's Nipples with the amount of times they've been filmed in 3 episodes so far. Jokes aside it's been pretty good and Park Chan-wook hasn't gone at all gonzo yet, weird seeing him direct a BBC TV show. I'm curious if it'll take a pro/anti-Israel/Palestine route, it's a hard line to straddle really.

Two bangers out of the first three episodes of Westworld season 3. Missing the piano tributes to 90's music but the music is always great. Aesthetically it's mad that this get's made for tv. Must be the most expensive show to make around.

One thing that always seemed a bit off with it was that the stakes were never high because they just rebuild any character who dies.Ā They seem to have reset the stakes with the plot of the show now and providing they don't make it all timey whimey bollocks again (I'm not holding my breath) the show should have a much more satisfying arc.

Started Marvelous Mrs Maisel again last night. I've been trying to get the wife to watch it for ages. Such a well written show with some brilliant dialogue andĀ  performances. I was struck last night by just how good Tony Shalhoub is in it. Everyone raves about Rachel Brosnahan (and her tits) in it but it's really good across the board.

13 minutes ago, BrodyGraham said:

Started Marvelous Mrs Maisel again last night. I've been trying to get the wife to watch it for ages. Such a well written show with some brilliant dialogue andĀ  performances. I was struck last night by just how good Tony Shalhoub is in it. Everyone raves about Rachel Brosnahan (and her tits) in it but it's really good across the board.

I quite enjoyed the show although you can tell it's made by the same person that made Gilmore Girls. Everyone speaks at a million miles an hour with pithy zingers off the top of their head in a way that no one ever talks like in real life.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

I quite enjoyed the show although you can tell it's made by the same person that made Gilmore Girls. Everyone speaks at a million miles an hour with pithy zingers off the top of their head in a way that no one ever talks like in real life.

speak for yourself

• Paid Members

Finished Derry Girls and enjoyed it even more as I went on. Another bloody lovely ending too that didn't overdose on sentiment.

Going to whizz through Tiger King now before Killing Eve returns and then I might watch Altered Carbon.

46 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Finished Derry Girls and enjoyed it even more as I went on. Another bloody lovely ending too that didn't overdose on sentiment.

Going to whizz through Tiger King now before Killing Eve returns and then I might watch Altered Carbon.

Didn't realise you hated yourself that much.

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Oh boy. Enjoy the ride.Ā 

Won't discuss it in here because I know it's been discussed heavily in two other threads but I'm already glad I've avoided all talk aboutĀ it.