What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members
58 minutes ago, Briefcase said:

Halfway through Gangs Of London. Really enjoying it so far, as already mentioned some of the fighting scenes are great fun & its graphic in places too if you like that kind of thing.

I thought this would be your average sky original show, but have been proven wrong so far. 

I’m on episode 4. I just find every episode your waiting for the over the top fight scene to happen, because they can, not that they need it. Clearly thrown a lot of money at it, but I feel like it thinks it’s better then it is

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Briefcase said:

I thought this would be your average sky original show, but have been proven wrong so far. 

You're not wrong, I'm impressed. Best thing they've done (since Save Me, at least). Just watched episode 5 last night, which is the stand-out episode so far (almost stand-alone in ways which I won't spoil). Fantastic action.

10 hours ago, gmoney said:

I think Kurtan and the Vicar are incredibly charming myself.

The US version has cast Seann William Scott in the ‘vicar‘ role so think we can already tell how that’s gonna go.

Although the two who play Kerry & Kurtan basically admitted on The Last Leg that they’re doing it for the money 

Edited by burchybabi

Just now, Magnum Milano said:

This probably amounts to sacrilege around here, but I started watching The Wire for the first time a couple of weeks ago.  It took a bit of getting into with so many characters being introduced and by the third episode, when I was getting into it, decided to rewatch the first two to try and make things clearer.  I know it gets a lot of "best TV show ever" praise, and while I don't know about that at the moment, it is very, very good.  It's something that I can definitely see me rewatching down the line and then picking out things I missed first time around in the rewatch.  Just the final disc of the first season left to watch which I should finish up this evening.

After finishing the final two episodes last night I've got no problems now calling it excellent and they may have been my two favourite episodes the way things were tied up, the story going full circle from the very first seen where DeAngelo was acquitted, things carrying on in 'the pit' just with a new crew and the detail being despatched and heading off in different directions.

I wasn't expecting Wallace to be gunned down like that, I was sure Poot was going to help him.  Like when Greggs got shot a few episodes earlier, caught me completely out of the blue.  Only a small detail but it showed how out of touch Burrell is when he's wanting to shut down the detail and slowly pull people out of there.  He starts talking about Freamon and Prez, the former always a good cop just down in the pawn shop, the latter who's come into his own, and you see Daniels fearing he's taking two of his best men, then Burrell tells him he can keep them and he's pulling out Santangelo (poor cop, only there to stooge on McNulty) and Sidner (highly thought of but didn't really do much after initial undercover work). Oh yeah, I was shocked DeAngelo ended up getting sent down, doing an about turn once his mother visited him. 

Can't wait to start season two tonight.

Edited by Magnum Milano

• Paid Members

Back tracking a little here but despite its popularity, I've never seen a single episode of the Wire despite my intentions to watch over the years. Is it available on any streaming systems currently? 

It's on Now TV until June and if you've never subbed to it it's usually free for a week or so as is the hd upgrade. Worth the £8 or £9 it costs a month to plough through any HBO shows you've missed.

Edited by Mr_Danger

Just now, Silky Kisser said:

Back tracking a little here but despite its popularity, I've never seen a single episode of the Wire despite my intentions to watch over the years. Is it available on any streaming systems currently? 

I picked up the box set second hand on eBay for £8, half of which was shipping costs.

• Paid Members
56 minutes ago, Magnum Milano said:

I picked up the box set second hand on eBay for £8, half of which was shipping costs.

Wow that's a steal. I can only find single seasons for that amount. The full box set is around 45 quid mostly. 

• Awards Moderator

Now TV is currently £8.99 a month which gives you The Wire plus all the other Sky bollocks. Worth it for a month or two so you can boxset things you've missed.

Just now, Silky Kisser said:

Wow that's a steal. I can only find single seasons for that amount. The full box set is around 45 quid mostly. 

I only saw it the day the auction was about to end.  The seller's starting price was £4.50 and I was amazed that it had no bids at that price, especially as everything looked to be in very good nick.  Sent a best offer of £4 to her fully expecting her to make me a counter offer at least but she accepted straight away.  Couldn't believe I snagged it so cheap.

• Paid Members

I've managed to get through almost all of Death In Paradise. Annoyed that I'd need NowTV to be able to watch the last two series of Elementary at the moment. Is all of of House on Prime? I reckon I'll get a crack on that next. 

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I've managed to get through almost all of Death In Paradise. 

Are you going to try Hetty Wainthrop Investigates next?