What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

Have been really enjoying Better Things on BBC iPlayer. It's produced by Louis CK (I know but they got rid as soon as his noncey ways came out) and stars his long time colleague Pamela Adlon as an actress who is also raising her 3 children single-handedly. It's really great, well written and acted and she is excellent, but the kids steal the show, especially Hannah Alligood as smart arse teen daughter Frankie. Episodes are only 20 odd minutes as well, so can get through it quite quickly. Highly recommended.

Also, I'm giving Community another go, and having trouble with it again. I should say that I love Gillian Jacobs with all my heart, and can sit through most things because of her (see the film Ibiza), but the main problem I have with this show is Joel McHale. I just can't stand him, and think he's really shit so it's massively putting me off.

Is it worth sticking with? Will I be massively rewarded if I do?

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Have been really enjoying Better Things on BBC iPlayer. It's produced by Louis CK (I know but they got rid as soon as his noncey ways came out) and stars his long time colleague Pamela Adlon as an actress who is also raising her 3 children single-handedly. It's really great, well written and acted and she is excellent, but the kids steal the show, especially Hannah Alligood as smart arse teen daughter Frankie. Episodes are only 20 odd minutes as well, so can get through it quite quickly. Highly recommended.

Also, I'm giving Community another go, and having trouble with it again. I should say that I love Gillian Jacobs with all my heart, and can sit through most things because of her (see the film Ibiza), but the main problem I have with this show is Joel McHale. I just can't stand him, and think he's really shit so it's massively putting me off.

Is it worth sticking with? Will I be massively rewarded if I do?

Season 1 episode 23. If you don’t like that, just bin it off

15 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

Not really the right place for it but it'll do...

Soho Theatre have made Fleabag Live available on demand from £4 with all the money going to various charities. I saw the live show last year and it was brilliant. Thoroughly recommended.

https://www.sohotheatreondemand.com/

In a similar thing, the National Theatre are live streaming a previous show every Thursday on Youtube. Then having it on their channel for a week. They are free to watch but you can donate to them too. This past Thursday, they showed One Man, Two Guvnors. I'm not the biggest James Corden fan but he works his arse off in this. The food serving scene has some brilliant slapstick in it and the nervous audience member gets more than she bargained for.

https://youtu.be/XzqcRwWVv8k

This Thursday they're showing Jane Eyre, then Treasure Island, followed by Twelfth Night.

• Paid Members

Roku have launched a new service that has a range of series and films for free. You don't even have to login. On Roku player, Now TV and Sky Q.

Looks mainly like the leftovers from what Amazon and Netflix wouldn't touch but might be the odd gem hidden there.

• Awards Moderator

The Red Dwarf special from last week has a surprisingly high gag count. And surprisingly mushy at the end.

All of Norman Lovett's lines are terrific.

Been taking the youngest through all of Red Dwarf. It has mostly aged pretty well.

Watched the majority of it on Netflix. Some of the Series 7 episodes don't have a laughter track and it kills the show stone dead. I know there's clips of Friends and Big Bang Theory without a track to prove a point, but this programme is utter torture without it. It's weird how some shows don't work without one. 

(NB I seem to remember last time I used the phrase 'laughter track' someone went on for ages what a laughter track is or isn't and it was tedious that time too. Thanks.) 

I made it about half way through it before I turned it off. I found it pretty boring. I don't think it worked as a movie and reckon they should have made another series instead.

I don't like how it's all so brightly lit and fancy looking now. The whole point of Red Dwarf was that it was a bit shabby and rough around the edges.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

I know there's clips of Friends and Big Bang Theory without a track to prove a point, but this programme is utter torture without it. It's weird how some shows don't work without one. 

The thing about those clips is that they seem super awkward because the actors are taking long pauses when nothing happens, because they have to pause for laughter, so they're a bit disingenuous.

• Awards Moderator
3 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

The thing about those clips is that they seem super awkward because the actors are taking long pauses when nothing happens, because they have to pause for laughter, so they're a bit disingenuous.

True. There's also something in the type of humour, the overacted mugging which is somehow excused when an audience laughs along. 

14 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

That's what was happening in Red Dwarf too.  

Will someone bite the bullet and watch Quiz on ITV player and tell me if it's worth my time. It's got Sheen doing his impressions and Macfadyen is pretty good value anyway but you know, ITV.

Also, Westworld this week was fucking great, really great.