What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members

I have no idea why but I'd never watched any Community although I'd heard good things, I think I was put off because I wasn't taken with The US Office.

It popped up on Amazon and me and the Mrs had nowt to watch.

We've now watched the lot. What a fantastic show, season 2 & 3 are easily some of the finest seasons of comedy ever done. Yes it suffers when the cast decide to fuck off, but it tries hard to find itself again and does, with the final season being a return to form and potentially one of the best final episodes of a show in a long time.

Great show.

• Paid Members
47 minutes ago, Teedy Kay said:

I have no idea why but I'd never watched any Community although I'd heard good things, I think I was put off because I wasn't taken with The US Office.

It popped up on Amazon and me and the Mrs had nowt to watch.

We've now watched the lot. What a fantastic show, season 2 & 3 are easily some of the finest seasons of comedy ever done. Yes it suffers when the cast decide to fuck off, but it tries hard to find itself again and does, with the final season being a return to form and potentially one of the best final episodes of a show in a long time.

Great show.

I ended up loving the US Office. The first “season” was awful because it just rehashed the original scripts poorly. But after that it gets so much better. Another that wavers a bit when Steve Carrell leaves, but the final season picked up again before the end. But yeah, Community is still Dan Harmon’s best work for me. I still have my Troy and Abed in the morning mug

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, scratchdj said:

Me and Mrs Scratch are beyond excited about series 5 of Better Call Saul which starts on Monday. It’s probably my favourite TV series ever.

We re-watched series 4 this past week ahead of Monday and had forgotten just how brilliant series 4 was - so many brilliant moments.

I actually really like that you don’t get the whole show ready to binge, as for every other series we’ve genuinely looked forward to the next episode each week. It feels like the “good old days”.

I’ve also just learnt that series 6 has already been agreed, which is fine by me.

It doesn’t seem to get talked about enough in terms of great tv shows. Breaking Bad was one of the greatest shows of all time, but I think Better Call Saul tops it. Everything involving Mike, Gus and the Salamanca’s is gripping tv. 

Season 6 has been announced as the final season. I’m looking forward to how it gets to the start of Breaking Bad as well as Sauls ending in Nebraska. 

• Paid Members

Anybody see The Righteous Gemstones? Thought it had some great moments and performances (Walton Goggins, John Goodman, the ex Satanist bloke) but meandered quite a bit towards the end. Probably about 2 episodes too long. 

• Paid Members

I loved The Righteous Gemstones, I thought it started slow and got better. The flashback episode mid season was especially excellent, I watched it multiple times. Quite moving at points for such a mental show.

The cast is huge and interesting, so if you're not a Danny McBride fan, there's tonnes more to see. Walton Goggins as Brother Billy is King though. Renewed for a second season thankfully.

Man Like Mobeen is such a lovely surprise, I was expecting typically BBC shite but it's genuinely funny and really heartfelt. I found out the guy behind it is a former teacher from Cov too, and it was cool to see Jaykae cameo in a few episodes.

I think Uncle Shady may be one of my fav comedy characters ever now.

Have decided to do a big rewatch of Hell on Wheels because I'd forgotten how much I love it.

I feel like it gets ignored for not being Deadwood, which I haven't watched, but I love how broad a canvas it uses as well as the lovely mix of characters.

Also the mid seasons really develop one of the best Batman/Joker style hero and villain symbiotic relationships in TV. Easily up there with Justified in that regard.

33 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

“Hello bastard”

By they way, watched some more of that Hunters show. It’s bloody awful. Don’t do it to yourselves.

It’s so hard to catch the Nazi because everyone is wearing a Panama hat.