What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

"Sorry love, we can't go to the Costa del Sol, I'm spending the weekend down the NEC swinging from a bungee with The Wolfman"

Sorry to be pedantic, but it was the NIA.

I watched a lot of Gladiators live. I'd head over in the afternoon, pick up a load of tickets and then hand them round at college, so a big group of us would all go together for the takings.

That sounds absolutely amazing. Any exciting tales to tell? Any live AWOOGA action?

Unfortunately not. I was at college just as this was dying out. It became a bit samey after a while, and there was a lot of waiting around whilst they built the next event up. That pyramid one took fucking ages.

My only lasting memory was how shit the international shows were, where they had different Gladiators from the shows from other countries.

I also finger banged a girl in the front row. I don't think it made the final cut for the show though.

I know it was played in the taxi, hence him playing it, but I didn't recognise the song from the snippet on the radio. I haven't heard much Adele obviously. I wonder if they asked Dervla Kerwin back?

The Adele song was also playing (very briefly) when he first transported into the toilet and then again in Ron's car.

Also I watched the DVD interviews a while back and Dervla said she would be interested in reprising the role and had regrets about leaving but said she felt she wasn't challenged enough as well as having people around her saying that it was the right time to leave.

Goodnight Sweetheart was a lot better than I expected it to be. I think there's a lot of options too if they make a full series since he can time travel again. I think along with Porridge it's been the most successful remake so far. I've been watching a lot of Red Dwarf repeats on Dave, the first 3 series are my favorite and there's some classic episodes. me2 is one of my all time faves with the two Rimmers and Queeq is a hilarious episode too. 

Edited by Really Big Shoe

• Awards Moderator

Goodnight Sweetheart was fine, some good lines and worthy turn from Lyndhurst. But that canned laughter can do one. I hadn't realised how grating that can be. And the performance of Yvonne was sub-amdram. All staring off into the middle distance and shrieking, I was embarrassed watching her scenes.

I indulged in the BBC's sitcom season and watched Our Ex-Wife, which was a really funny one-off but I can't see how you stretch a whole season out of it. Robert Webb and his ex-wife were great, surely the only way this moves forward is for them to wake up in bed together after a drunken brawl?

• Paid Members

Didn't think there'd be much discussion of the Sitcom season on here amongst the American dramas so didn't bother looking. Enjoyed catching up.

I've watched Porride, Are You Being Served, Goodnight Sweetheart and Til Death Us Do Part.

Always thought Are You Being Served was campy shite so the new episode seemed a decent homage to me but I've seen it panned a lot. Did nothing for me, like the original.

Thought Porridge was really good. Some good lines, some straight out of the original, and a really good job of ensuring the prison characters were likeable. I like that it made it clear it was a rip off but added a modern twist. I hope this is the last episode though. When "Still Open All Hours" did the one-off, that was a really fun bit of nostalgia. The full series was absolutely dreadful though. On the canned laughter comment above, I didn't notice it at all in GS but it was blatant at the start of Porridge.

Till Death Us Do Part was superb. Great script that its nice to see brought to life and a brilliant set. Simon Day did a great impression of Alf Garnett but if there's one criticism I'd have, it's that it felt like an impression. Not his fault, I don't think, just those aspects of the character are impossible to replicate. They were just so Warren Mitchell. Lizzie Roper was absolutely sensational as Else. Just marvellous. I hate Tony Booth and Una Stubbs in the original so enjoyed this more with the fresh faces. Just superb.

Goodnight Sweetheart is one of my favourites. I've always felt pretty lonely in holding that POV but it is. When the new credits came up, I cringed at what this might be but blow me, it was great. Another clever script that was true to the original, had fun with the passages of time that have elapsed since the original and did a good job of filling the story in to date but leaving it open ended. I really wanted to see more when it had finished. It went by in a flash.

• Paid Members

My only lasting memory was how shit the international shows were, where they had different Gladiators from the shows from other countries.

Oi you, get to fuck with that comment!

Greatest fucking thing these eyes have ever witnessed...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT_i8DpMwtw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HfYZo7BFUU