What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Awards Moderator

I don't think it is canned, it's filmed in front of a studio audience. They might sweeten it slightly or use laughter from a different take, but it's real reactions. 

I was just referring to recorded laughter, as-live or tweaked. It's horrible on this show.

Somehow in Father Ted and Frasier it's OK? But on Goodnight Sweetheart it was brain-numbing :confused:

• Moderators

I don't think it is canned, it's filmed in front of a studio audience. They might sweeten it slightly or use laughter from a different take, but it's real reactions. 

I was just referring to recorded laughter, as-live or tweaked. It's horrible on this show.

Somehow in Father Ted and Frasier it's OK? But on Goodnight Sweetheart it was brain-numbing :confused:

It's more noticable in shitty shows because there's the sense of "what the fuck are they laughing at?" with the gales of laughter at every bad, weak joke that doesn't land. It's distracting to the point where I stop thinking about the show and start thinking about the sanity of an audience cackling at lollystick-level non-gags. I know they've been geed up, and they're excited about seeing Lyndhurst or whoever in the flesh, but fucking hell, I can't remember laughing like that at anything. It must be like hypnosis in that, on some level, they know they're just playing along, but they're laughing anyway.

I have overthought it.

AND WITH MULTIPLE TAKES!

Edited by Astro Hollywood

• Paid Members

I wondered if you might be! Canned laughter is where there just chuck any old recorded laughs on top of a show, despite it not actually being shown to an audience.

It's actually quite rare, especially these days.

• Paid Members

Were Barry Norman's Alright on the Night shows canned laughter? Surely they were. Who'd go to a fucking screening of watching Pam Ferris taking 10 mins to get her lines right, with Barry Norman boring you into oblivion in between the hilarious clips.

• Paid Members

The Gay Bashers (letters capitalised as if they were a stable) are the shittest gang I've ever seen in any soap. If you were going to have someone go against the Mitchells, they should have been in ski masks and leather jackets. Like that time on Emmerdale when the Aces and 8s showed up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYBv61iocZM