What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members

Is it written into John Challis' contract that he can only appear on shows that are fucking dreadful? I'm struggling to think of an actor who has consistently appeared in such utter bilge for so long. If Last of The Summer Wine still existed, he would be in it.

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

I think a show that's main run finished when Margaret Thatcher was in power constitutes as a "long" time ago. OFAH was brilliant, everything since that point, rubbish. Unless I've been missing these Shakespearean performances from John Challis appearing on Sky Atlantic.

• Paid Members

If Last of The Summer Wine still existed, he would be in it.

He was. It was a one shot, but he played an old tosspot who was talking a big game as an ex cat burglar and safe cracker to impress Marina and that woman from the library who used to play Elizabeth in Keeping up Appearances.

He was outed when Aunty Wainwright needed a safe opening.

Edit: My favourite bit of Porridge was the sexy warden who used to be married to Gordon Britas. I always had a soft spot for her and his receptionist Julie.

Edited by Tommy!

• Paid Members

Watched the first episode of "The Girlfriend Experience" last night. Bearing in mind i haven't seen the film i thought the pilot was great and will continue. A couple of times that Billie Piper prostitute show came into my head but this is defiantly more serious and stylish. 

Plus Elvis granddaughter fingering herself...

• Paid Members

Just Trevor Banister left I believe, and he wasn't too well when he was doing the rounds in summer wine if I recall right.

Edit:

Nope, he's dead too. You learn something every day.

Edited by Tommy!

• Paid Members

Caught up with Vice Principals over the weekend. Some big shoes to fill coming from the same crew as 'Eastbound & Down' but 4 episodes in & it's a belter. Walton Goggins is gloriously camp & the black guy who works in the kitchen is amazing. Top stuff.

Walton Goggins is an absolute force f nature in it. Surely one of the best character actors working today.

Agree 100% Goggins is great in everything he in.

• Paid Members

Walton Goggins is an absolute force f nature in it. Surely one of the best character actors working today.

Agree 100% Goggins is great in everything he in.

He's great, ever since The Shield (which is better than the wire) I've kept an eye out for him. I love seeing him in stuff even though he looks more like a skull than anyone else on earth.

Edited by Call me Bellend

Is The Night Of any use, gents and ladies?

I have enjoyed it so far. Usual good HBO quality. First episode and last episode are 90 minutes, the other 6 are an hour long. It's a difficult show to describe but its like a timeline story from the crime being committed to the trial stage. Its seems to meander between True Detective, Oz & Law & Order. Actors from other HBO shows seem to make a lot of cameo's.

• Awards Moderator

Absolutely stunned how enjoyable Porridge was. Good gags. A nice touch to set it in the same world but removed.

It even made me like Kevin Bishop, the worst mimic since John Culshaw.

• Paid Members

I have enjoyed it so far. Usual good HBO quality. First episode and last episode are 90 minutes, the other 6 are an hour long. It's a difficult show to describe but its like a timeline story from the crime being committed to the trial stage. Its seems to meander between True Detective, Oz & Law & Order. Actors from other HBO shows seem to make a lot of cameo's.

Larry David? Bob Einstein? If so I may watch

• Paid Members

Cheers Ross, thanks for that.

Going to give this a bash tonight...

• Paid Members

An absolutely sterling day of entertainment on Bank Holiday Monday. Eight hours of Gladiator repeats on Challenge. Just unbelievable action, I felt like I'd been banging it up the Travelator for the best part of the day after that was done, let me tell you.

John Fashanu was wearing his trousers so high at one point, that it exceeded the height of Ulrika Johnson's perfectly coiffured hair. Plus in one episode we had A DRAW! even with the advent of MODERN VIDEO REPLAY TECHNOLOGY! in front of the expert septuagenarian eyes of noted sex symbol John Anderson.  

Also a great moment when it turned out that one contestant had postponed his honeymoon in favour of Gladiator's, would have loved to have heard that one: "Sorry love, we can't go to the Costa del Sol, I'm spending the weekend down the NEC swinging from a bungee with The Wolfman"