What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

My housemate and I watched the entire second series of Bojack Horseman in one sitting yesterday. It's brilliant and really unique in a way that's not trying too hard.The first handful of episodes had me in stitches (the chicken episode is a bit weird though).

Another thing I'll say for it is even though it's relatively simply drawn, the character design is fantastic, the animals all look amazing and the variety of species is crazy this season. The humans look cool too and have a lot of character.

I got through the whole thing in two sittings, and wished I hadn't, because I wanted mare.

It's a bit like if Archer wasn't a secret agent, but a washed up actor, and part horse. So basically awesome.

Edited by handspants

This series of Hannibal has been incredible and the latest episode was fucking great. The subtleties on Mads' face when Will was breaking up with him were heart breaking, in the mist dysfunctional way possible.

I wonder if they'll try and get another film off the ground with Mads in the lead.

• Paid Members

The first episode of the Red Dragon arc of Hannibal was better than both the movies put together. Shame this is probably the final season, this show is simply off the charts incredible. I can't think of anything else like it. Weird that it was kind of a run-of-the-mill procedural to start with but has now morphed into this epic mesmerising artistic nightmare.

• Paid Members

I still haven't finished the second season, I loved one but just struggled to get as deep into the second series some how. As a result it's sat on the shelf and is crying out for a catch up.

On a side I was surprised reading red dragon how close the Ed Norton film seemed to keep to the detain, although I do still have a few chapters left for it to go tits up.

• Moderators

If this truly is the end, then Hannibal will be the great lost work of this generation. It's so unbelievably beautiful and strange, and unlike anything else ever. It's incredible that such an insanely psychosexual, art-house, abstract nightmare has been allowed to exist anywhere, let alone on a network. Some of the imagery this season is like the art installation of a madman, and all tied up in this amazing, enrapturing story and characters. The relationship between Will and Hannibal alone; no other show or movie has come close to the fucking bravery of going where they've gone with it.

It'll be hilarious to rewatch the Brett Ratner fillm when this is all tied up; even more like an ape's fingerpainting than his shit usually seems.

Edited by Astro Hollywood

• Paid Members

Yeah, it really kicks into gear from season two, then you have some absolute gold until about season six. I wasn't exactly blown away by the first season but I'm glad I stuck with it.

That seems to be a thing with some US shows. The first seasons of The Office and Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia weren't exactly brilliant but I'm really happy I cracked on with them. Sunny in particular, that's probably been one of my favourite shows over the last few years.

That seems to be a thing with some US shows. The first seasons of The Office and Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia weren't exactly brilliant but I'm really happy I cracked on with them. Sunny in particular, that's probably been one of my favourite shows over the last few years.

Always Sunny is the best comedy series that has ever been made in my opinion.

American comedies will always suffer inconsistency as long as they insist on making 20 odd episodes a series. Eastbound and Down and CYE are great because they don't come across as overly generic and formulaic.

It's what makes Seinfeld so bloody marvellous, the fact it's such a high quality even 100+ episodes in.

I echo the comments on Parks & Rec.

I took a long time after not being blown away by Season 1 before geting around to watching Season 2 and it was much better. The will-they-won't they story between two of the characters in S2 (no spoilers) was brilliant.

Then when you are starting to love all of the characters, in come Rob Lowe and Adam Scott to make things even better. I've just finished Season 4 and am concerned by some of these comments about it going downhill again.

As far as characters that only appear a handful of times each series, Jean-Ralphio may be my favourite in any programme ever.

I found the first seasons of "It's Always Sunny ..." and "Arrested Development" tough to stick with also, and have never got around to the second season of either.

• Paid Members

I didn't have that problem with Arrested Development, and I lucked out with Sunny, in that I've watched it in jumbled up syndication, and so I have no flow of episodes — I don't think I saw a first-season episode until well past my 10th viewing, and by then I was hooked.

• Awards Moderator

I don't think Parks and Rec went downhill too much. I was expecting it to fall off a cliff, but I'd say even if it's not as good as it is at its best, it's still really good if you like the characters. The only iffy bits for me were the first few episodes of the final season, and they managed to recover that by the end.