What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

What was it like?I heard some say it was really good until Lewis Hamilton came on. I loved that show as a teenager.

It was really good fun and full of nostalgia, even if some bits missed the mark for me. Music-wise the Blur and Liam Gallagher performances were enjoyable. Freak Or Unique was good fun (bringing back the top 5 acts from back in the day). The interviews were hit and miss, Amanda Seyfried was really awkward and I was wondering if she was stoned or something. The Lewis Hamilton and Jeremy Clarkson stuff near the end didn't interest me at all cos I'm not a Top Gear fan. 

Would've liked to have seen a few more segments from the old series though. I was hoping for Ugly Bloke and Fat Lookalikes.

Yeah that pretty much sums up my thoughts as well.

In a way, seeing Cheis Evans and Shaun Ryder acting somewhat respectable and sensible kind of hits home why it wouldn't work if they brought it back proper but the thing that absolutely convinced me that they shouldn't bring it back was Chris Evans championing Nick Grimshaw as a future host if they ever did reboot it.

Lewis Hamilton killed the show stone dead.  What an absolute black hole of charisma.  Even worse that they did the whole "they're letting us stay on air as long as we want!" bit and just let Hamilton sit there for another 20 minutes, struggling to think of a single thing to say.  By the end I was glad it was over and didn't feel any urge to see it ever again.

Up until that point it was a really fun nostalgia piece for those who watched the show back in the day.  Was really cool seeing the previous guests back, especially the ones who were kids when they first appeared.  Having said that every old clip they showed just highlighted more and more how forced the whole atmosphere felt compared to the original show. As a one-off reunion show it was fine though.  Until the end.  Fuck Lewis Hamilton.

• Paid Members

It was a mixed bag for me. The speed-interviewing for me was going OK until Grimshaw turned up, I can't stand him. The suggestion that the show be brought back permanently with Grimshaw at the helm turned my stomach and made me feel a bit like Ric Flair had come out and announced the Horsemen were coming back but with Zack Ryder as leader. "You were in Star Wars, weren't you mate?" did make me laugh.

I was disturbed at how attractive I found grown up Baby Left Baby Right. I'd rather have not seen them as they are today than sat here thinking "Hello you."

• Moderators

The Guardian live blog of the show was pure gold. Such great lines as:-

""Until now, the mid-1990s were lost to history, existing only as the screensaver that Tim Lovejoy saw whenever he closed his eyes.""

"We meet a child from the original show, and then they come on all grown up. It’s basically one of those ‘Do You Feel Old Yet?’ listicles that are all over the internet. Next up: the Teletubbies Sun Baby. Then, the clock from the Back to the Future car. Then, all your broken ambitions, wheeled on one after another in a dizzying cascade of hopelessness."

And the blogger was right. It was depressing to watch. I fucking hate people being overly nostalgic at the best of times, but fuck me it was awful. It was of it's time in 1996 or whatever, but guess what, it's not 1996. We've moved on LOADS from the 90s. They don't even publish Loaded anymore. And things like TFI Friday's reappearance was as cringeworthy as watching Men Behaving Badly now.

The Guardian live blog of the show was pure gold. Such great lines as:-

""Until now, the mid-1990s were lost to history, existing only as the screensaver that Tim Lovejoy saw whenever he closed his eyes.""

"We meet a child from the original show, and then they come on all grown up. It’s basically one of those ‘Do You Feel Old Yet?’ listicles that are all over the internet. Next up: the Teletubbies Sun Baby. Then, the clock from the Back to the Future car. Then, all your broken ambitions, wheeled on one after another in a dizzying cascade of hopelessness."

And the blogger was right. It was depressing to watch. I fucking hate people being overly nostalgic at the best of times, but fuck me it was awful. It was of it's time in 1996 or whatever, but guess what, it's not 1996. We've moved on LOADS from the 90s. They don't even publish Loaded anymore. And things like TFI Friday's reappearance was as cringeworthy as watching Men Behaving Badly now.

Stuart Heritage is an excellent writer, his column in the Family section on a Saturday is a highlight of my weekend...that is probably the most Middle class sentence I'll ever write.

I think it would be a good show for special occasions, maybe to kickstart the summer or have a new year special etc.....maybe do two or three of them a year. It's better than any other shiw what would be on at that time on a friday night. It may also help get some decent music in the mainstream again instead of all the shite around now.

When they wheeled out the hot 17 year old twins I did have a sneaking suspicion that Evans was going to Billie Piper them after the show. I remember him ripping the piss out of Richie Neville on TFI when he was doing Billie at the ripe old age of 16 and a couple of years later Evans had married her.

• Moderators

It may also help get some decent music in the mainstream again instead of all the shite around now.

TFI played the music which was mainstream when it was in it's pomp, so I have no reason to believe that a new TFI wouldn't play the music that's mainstream now. It's not as if Chris Evans and his poor Howard Stern cosplaying was bringing bands like Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine into the public eye. He was having chart acts on all the while. It just so happened that at the time Britpop and Indie were all in the charts. Now it'd be Rhianna or Minaj or Harry Whitaker instead.

TFI'd remembered in a strange (incorrect) way. It's seen as super innovative and doing all these things introducing new things into the world and TV and launching cool bands into public consciousness and such, but that's just retconning. So, question, which bands made it big because they appeared on TFI? None. The acts on there were already big due to the proliferation of "edgy" guitar based indie and britpop acts at the time braying like donkeys all over the Top 40 and shows like TOTP and The Chart Show. Actually all it did was capture a snapshot of mainstream youth-YOUNG ADULT (/Nozin' Aroun') culture at the time, and in fact was considerably less innovative that Evans' previous (and far superior) programme Don't Forget Your Toothbrush.

• Paid Members

Like straining and squeezing the very last bit of Colgate out the tootpaste tube, Brewster!

She’s a beaut. Have had a weird crush on her since I was 12. Strange Days (and Street Fighter 2 – The Animated Movie) was a flick of my teenage years in which the tracking of the videotape was destroyed every time she turned up in her undercrackers in that POV shot or when on stage singing.