What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Moderators

I've been watching Oz for the first time in a while, and I've never noticed how awful Ryan O'Reillys acting is. It is shocking, it's actually making me angry every time he appears.

Wait until you meet Omar White.

I found that Oz worked the same sort of way as Twin Peaks - in the sense that if there was some shitty acting going on (and boy, is there ever) it doesn't really matter because the world that each show creates really isn't this one anyway. Just accept that in the world of Oz/Peaks, some people are as hammy as fuck. Once you are happy to accept that, it's all good.

I found that Oz worked the same sort of way as Twin Peaks - in the sense that if there was some shitty acting going on (and boy, is there ever) it doesn't really matter because the world that each show creates really isn't this one anyway. Just accept that in the world of Oz/Peaks, some people are as hammy as fuck. Once you are happy to accept that, it's all good.

Yeah good point, I mean I've seen it a couple of times over, but for this time for some reason I've taken a particular dislike to O'Reilly

• Paid Members

So HBO's "The Jinx" is up there with the greatest things I've ever watched.

6 part documentary. Best going into it knowing little as possible. 

Remarkable television. 

So HBO's "The Jinx" is up there with the greatest things I've ever watched.

6 part documentary. Best going into it knowing little as possible. 

Remarkable television. 

Agree 100%. The last 15 minutes might be the most amazing, powerful bit of telly ever.

• Paid Members

So I've banged on about the silent burglar episode of Inside Number 9 last year and how a generation ago, before multi-channel, multi-platform fragmentation, it would have become a cultural classic like the Germans episode of Fawlty Towers or Christmas Morecambe and Wise, but now most people will never see or hear of it.

Well inifitise that for this week's episode. I don't have the words, other than to say you need to watch it now, unspoiled, and be sure to spoiler tag any comments. It's 30 minutes long and a TV show, but I think it might be the best film I ever watched.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b05pwfcf/inside-no-9-series-2-2-the-12-days-of-christine

FInally got around to watching the first two episodes. The first is great. Obviously funny with nice twists. The second, mentioned above, is sensational. It's not as good as the silent episode, which is amongst the funniest things you will ever see in your life, but it is completely brilliant and it left me absolutely floored.

• Moderators

So I've banged on about the silent burglar episode of Inside Number 9 last year and how a generation ago, before multi-channel, multi-platform fragmentation, it would have become a cultural classic like the Germans episode of Fawlty Towers or Christmas Morecambe and Wise, but now most people will never see or hear of it.

Well inifitise that for this week's episode. I don't have the words, other than to say you need to watch it now, unspoiled, and be sure to spoiler tag any comments. It's 30 minutes long and a TV show, but I think it might be the best film I ever watched.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b05pwfcf/inside-no-9-series-2-2-the-12-days-of-christine

If you've still got a copy hanging around that you can sync up with it (or even if you haven't), Reece and Steve have recorded their own commentary track for this episode: https://soundcloud.com/steve-reece-in9/the-12-days-of-christine-commentary?utm_source=soundcloud&utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=twitter

They've posted up a couple more commentaries.

The Trial of Elizabeth Gadge

La Couchette

• Moderators

Having a Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads? fest. Despite the dawning realisation I am Terry Collier, it's still a wonderful sitcom dripping with hilarity and pathos like a great comedy does.

• Paid Members

I bought the boxset last year. Easily one of the most under-rated sitcoms around. Terry is a fantastic character, brash and opinionated but a massive hypocrite and a right drama Queen. The dynamic of he and Bob being so close but Thelma and Terry holding each other in such contempt is classic situation stuff.

The football result is the classic episode everyone remembers but my favourite is probably the night before the wedding when most of it is shot in the one room.

The theme tune is right up there too. Never fails to put a smile on my face.

The football result is the classic episode everyone remembers but my favourite is probably the night before the wedding when most of it is shot in the one room.

I am a massive fan of the Likely Lads but that episode always struck me as strange and really out of character. Two 30 year old geordie blokes in the 70s spending the night before one of them's wedding sentimentally going through a box of toys and then spending the night together in bed? Really?

Really great series though. 70s was certainly the best decade for British sitcoms and maybe for British TV in general.

Edited by Pier Six Brawler