What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

The first episode of the new series of ‘Man Down’ was great. Obviously massively missing Rik Mayall (still gutted) & I don’t think the aunt character will come close to replacing him but still a couple of laugh out loud moments. Good to have a British sitcom that isn’t shit.

Anyone been watching Sense 8, the new series on Netflix? Interesting premise about 8 people around the world who can link minds, communicate telepathically, feel each others feelings, have acces to their memories etc. I'm halfway through and while it's not brilliant, it's watchable. Little frustrating that there doesn't seem to be a proper actual plot that links the eight characters together as yet, but most of them are likeable and there have been some cool scenes where they link minds and help each other out.

Anyone been watching Sense 8, the new series on Netflix?

I have watched the first 6 episodes so far and I cannot say that I have been too impressed by it really. It does have an interesting premise, but very little has been done with it in the first half of the season. I have little to no interest in any of the characters either, or most the situations they are put into.  It has just been a very tedious viewing so far, and I get the feeling that after 12 episodes I will be of the opinion that it would have been better as a 4-6 episode mini-series rather being dragged out to 12 episodes.

Anyone been watching Sense 8, the new series on Netflix?

I have watched the first 6 episodes so far and I cannot say that I have been too impressed by it really. It does have an interesting premise, but very little has been done with it in the first half of the season. I have little to no interest in any of the characters either, or most the situations they are put into.  It has just been a very tedious viewing so far, and I get the feeling that after 12 episodes I will be of the opinion that it would have been better as a 4-6 episode mini-series rather being dragged out to 12 episodes.

10 episodes in and it does get better, but is only really good and at its best during the sequences where they work together and help each other out. I would still like to see more of the Sensate stuff and less of the attempts at being a deep meaningful drama (which the writers do not seem to be good enough or skilled enough to pull off).

Edited by DJM

• Paid Members

Well, the ending to The Missing was worse than Eden Lake!

What you smoking?

The Missing was great The ending was brilliant as there was no cop out and you were just left with a broken man who just could not accept the reality. Beautiful TV 

• Paid Members

It's all subjective, boss, although I should have stated "grimmer than Eden Lake"

I thought it was all very convenient, however

with the sobriety coin, the stabbing of Khalid, the deathbed confession, and the ending in Russia just felt tacked on for ambiguity's sake.

I know the kid at the end wasn't Oliver but the Oliver : 8 Years Later front page picture being the spitting image of the boy Tony accosted in Russia - plus the boys look of slight recognition - was very contrived.

Wonderfully, gripping television, but I thought the ending to be tacked on. In saying that, it was better than the ending to Season 2 of Broadchurch though.

Edited by Scott Malbranque

• Paid Members

I watched The Missing when it was first broadcast so may have a few of the details mixed up, but...

I came away from the series with no definitive ending as we didn't know if Oliver was really alive or dead. No body was ever found, plus right at the end wasn't there a drawing in Russia just like the drawing Olly used to do?

I didn't like the deathbed confession - the series had been of such high quality I just expected a bit more. Also the true story behind Olly's disappearance was just a bit, I don't know, disappointing? He gets run down, the bloke thinks hes dead so gets a Russian gangster to dispose of the body, but turns out the boy is still alive, so they kill him anyway.

Don't get me wrong though, the first 7 episodes were some of the best TV I have ever seen!